Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CisternaChyli

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
along with 3G/HSDPA..will the next iPhone have a better camera...??? i would get one now..but that 2 megapixel camera is killing the deal...:(

AMoeini

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
Yes, they should if not will bump up the camera to a potential 5MP. But that shouldn't stop you - go out and get the iPhone if you really want one. If you play the waiting game, you'll never be satisfied. There's always new and improved things coming out. I got my iBook G4 4 years ago right before the Powerbooks came out. I missed out on it (and the MacBook) but still I got the product I needed and I enjoy it to this day. Trust me, you'll be much happier buying the iPhone now. If you really want the device to take pictures, I recommend buying a nice, small digital camera. 2MP isn't terrible, and if you need higher quality pictures you should use a camera anyway. If you feel the need to wait, you can do so, but if you truly want one and/or need one go buy it now :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
along with 3G/HSDPA..will the next iPhone have a better camera...??? i would get one now..but that 2 megapixel camera is killing the deal...:(

You're complaining about a 2MP camera on a phone??? I just took a quick look at Best Buy's Web site and could only find one other phone (the BlackBerry Pearl) with a 2MP camera. Everything else had 1.3MP or NONE (the $550 BlackBerry). A cell phone camera is basically for taking pictures to use for contacts and just snapshots of what the heck ever to put on flickr or Facebook.

I have no idea what you expect out of a $400 device. If you need to take pictures that badly, you can probably get a 5MP camera about the size of a credit card for $200.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
...I just took a quick look at Best Buy's Web site and could only find one other phone (the BlackBerry Pearl) with a 2MP camera...

Maybe because they only sell *****..? Check out the latest offerings from Nokia and Sony-Ericsson and you'll find many 2, 3.2 and 5 MP cameras in the phones.

If only the US carriers weren't screwing the market these would be more readily available.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Few networks would want to deploy a near-obsolete EDGE into their networks. O2 (UK) only did this to get the iPhone contract.

This is my thinking, as far as I understand no network in the UK has ever really had much of an EDGE network. They are all driving forward deploying 3G networks. Even O2, who has the iPhone, would rather spend money on their 3G network (as it benefits all their other handsets) than their EDGE network. iPhone needs 3G in the UK, and fast.

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Ummmm.... 3G isnt even in my city, it's ranked 59 on the top 100 US cities but still.... I laugh every time I go into an AT&T store or see 3G phones advertised that are useless in the home area.

I wonder how many out of the top 100 cities don't have 3G...

Hopefully most of them are part of the rumored network upgrades, but I'm happy with my edge in a non 3G city anyway. :)

aridon

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2007
Maybe because they only sell *****..? Check out the latest offerings from Nokia and Sony-Ericsson and you'll find many 2, 3.2 and 5 MP cameras in the phones.

If only the US carriers weren't screwing the market these would be more readily available.

Considering the lenses mostly suck due to size restrictions on the phones why do you want to waste space with pixels that really don't mean a damn thing?

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Yes, Yes we do. 3G is absolutely necessary. It's actually not quite enough. I want ethernet speeds into my iPhone. But at the moment, if you want one, get one. Screw 3G, LTE for the win. 4G baby!!

As for the FCC thing, there's this form that can get the FCC to keep their mouth shut until the company announces the device. It's called deferred approval, designed specifically to NOT leak things. :p;)

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Think about it do we even actually even need 3G technology.

Yes it might make surfing the internet faster but still isn't EDGE pretty fast.

So my question is should i wait 5 months! for a iPhone with 3G or should i get one now and be very very satisfied.:confused:

We don't "need" the iPhone...

...actually, yes we do!

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
EDGE has basically been skipped here in the Netherlands. No coverage by any provider anymore, afaik.

CisternaChyli

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
You're complaining about a 2MP camera on a phone??? I just took a quick look at Best Buy's Web site and could only find one other phone (the BlackBerry Pearl) with a 2MP camera. Everything else had 1.3MP or NONE (the $550 BlackBerry). A cell phone camera is basically for taking pictures to use for contacts and just snapshots of what the heck ever to put on flickr or Facebook.

I have no idea what you expect out of a $400 device. If you need to take pictures that badly, you can probably get a 5MP camera about the size of a credit card for $200.

my current N73 has a 3.2 autofocus carl ziess lens equiped camera..thats why im complaining

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
I'm not overly fussed about 3G since it's too expensive (here at least) for what I want a phone to do. Maybe when the prices aren't so silly.

I'd rather them get picture messaging sorted out first. Even cheap phones can do that without 3G. There's no reason the iPhone shouldn't come loaded with this functionality.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
I'm not overly fussed about 3G since it's too expensive (here at least) for what I want a phone to do. Maybe when the prices aren't so silly.

I'd rather them get picture messaging sorted out first. Even cheap phones can do that without 3G. There's no reason the iPhone shouldn't come loaded with this functionality.

3G is not more expensive, it is the service that comes along with it. 3G is only the speed of the data transfer.

Simply put, MMS (or picture messaging) is software. Which means they do not need to release a new iphone to support this capability. All they have to do is release an update.

I personally would like to see a couple of hardware AND software updates, such as a higher MP camera, 3G, obviously iphone apps released after the SDK, delete all in mail, delete single message in sms, mms, video camera recording (either software or hardware update), better bluetooth connectivity (such as A2DP), and hoizontal typing in every app that requires typing. Long list, I know, but it is already predicted that pretty much half of this stuff will be announced in the v2 iphone anyways.

Can't wait! :D

Federico

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
South Florida
With EDGE all that you get is aroud 64kb/s, with 3G you can surf at least 500kb/s (up to 1.8mb/s)

If you have 3G you can get other services like VOIP, videocall, watch some Tv channels, Online radio, a faster google maps!! etc.......

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
With EDGE all that you get is aroud 64kb/s, with 3G you can surf at least 500kb/s (up to 1.8mb/s)

If you have 3G you can get other services like VOIP, videocall, watch some Tv channels, Online radio, a faster google maps!! etc.......

Not quite entirely true. Using http://www.iphonenetworktest.com consistently for the last month, my "Average" edge speed= 208.846kps and my Wifi= 706.7183kbps and this is a weekly average, not a one time test. Most of this average edge speed is from within a building, where I work.

The site listed above also has a web icon to put on your iPhone.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
so I just tried that iPhone speed test page and found out that I get 1/3 the speed of my cable internet through EDGE... That's still 3 times faster than early DSL and a billion times faster than dialup...

Honestly, after hanging out in these forums for so long I though my iPhone speed was around something like 20kbps... Always wondered why Internet over EDGE actually felt pretty fast with a good signal...

There's no way you couldn't do a video chat over EDGE...

Hands0n

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
North Kent, UK
Not quite entirely true. Using http://www.iphonenetworktest.com consistently for the last month, my "Average" edge speed= 208.846kps and my Wifi= 706.7183kbps and this is a weekly average, not a one time test. Most of this average edge speed is from within a building, where I work.

The site listed above also has a web icon to put on your iPhone.

I think the point is that EDGE tops out at those kind of speeds - whereas 3G comes in above that point and, with HSDPA extensions, will go to 7.2Mbps at todays state of the technology. We can also anticipate HSUPA which will deliver symmetric transmission speeds in time, although my thoughts are that the asymmetric technologies such as HSDPA will persist at a lower tariff (who really needs 7.2Mbps uplink from their handset?).

I am truly surprised at that 706.718 WiFi speed - I was able to get the heady heights of 633Kbps which is puny against the 20Mbps ISP cable connection that I have., and which was idle at the time. I reckon that the speedtest site is either running a puny uplink or is overcommitted. Try instead http://i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html which gives a much more respectable 2384Kbps - which even then is a slow report for WiFi at 802.11g speeds.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I think the point is that EDGE tops out at those kind of speeds - whereas 3G comes in above that point and, with HSDPA extensions, will go to 7.2Mbps at todays state of the technology. We can also anticipate HSUPA which will deliver symmetric transmission speeds in time, although my thoughts are that the asymmetric technologies such as HSDPA will persist at a lower tariff (who really needs 7.2Mbps uplink from their handset?).

I am truly surprised at that 706.718 WiFi speed - I was able to get the heady heights of 633Kbps which is puny against the 20Mbps ISP cable connection that I have., and which was idle at the time. I reckon that the speedtest site is either running a puny uplink or is overcommitted. Try instead http://i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html which gives a much more respectable 2384Kbps - which even then is a slow report for WiFi at 802.11g speeds.

Just to clarify...I only reported what the program reported. Mine is also a cable connection through insight. I have never had a speed issue while on edge/wifi.

I have used your link to get a comparison. Using the mobile link i get: All time average: 130 kbit (14108 samples); 24 hour: average 124 kbit 727 ms latency. My high speed did get up to 155kbps. I have not attempted on my wifi at home yet but will report when I do.

If you read the "about" on your link, it does state the following for the iPhone "It is possible that sustained trasfer speed on a single file download could be faster then the speed reported by this test, however..."

So if I take your test and mine and average out, I am getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 169kbs...which is still more then double of the post I responded to. I am sure there is alot of play in any of the test programs offered and that it is based on time of day, how many users are on and all kinds of discriminators. My point was to show that it was alot higher then the 64kbs that was reported by the other poster.

Hands0n

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
North Kent, UK
My point was to show that it was alot higher then the 64kbs that was reported by the other poster.

Apologies if I suggested otherwise, not intended. As you say, speedtests are notoriously unreliable, but useful enough to get a fix from which to work from.

I was astonished that the iPhone speedtest was so slow when the same test run from my other wireless attached PC operated at near line speed.

But as to EDGE speeds, which I suppose is what the topic is all about, those are respectable speeds when compared to ordinary GPRS across the bog-standard 2G network.

I have to say that once sampled 3G HSDPA at 1.2, 3.2 and 7.2Mbps there really is no turning back :) A few on here have said that they can't see the need for 3G (by implication HSDPA which is the current state of the art). But that is, in my opinion, an entirely parochial view. Imagine, if you will, being able to do all that you can across WiFi (iTunes, the lot) but now across 3G. That is what it is all about. Complete enablement and with no restrictions or limitations. That is where Mobile Broadband (as we call it here these days apparently) is heading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.