Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulius005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Here is the story:

I used redsn0w with a brand new 4.3.3 iPhone that my friend just got from the apple store, because he bricked the other, but they were nice enough to give him a new one. I downloaded the 4.3.3 ipsw and selected the options install cydia and install the iPad baseband (he's on tmobile so he needs it unlocked). Everything went fine until we launched cydia and it kept saying it was preparing the file system, for over 20 minutes. So I shut the phone down and turned it back on.. same thing... Then i attempted to go through redsn0w again but only use the install cydia option. This seemed to go ok until the phone began to attempt to start and never started.

Now the phone simply tries to boot but never actually does. It can still get into DFU mode.

If I try to put a custom IPSW on it, I go through redsn0w to get it into DFU then go to iTunes, and iTunes does not let me, it gave me the 3149 error on windows and a generic one on my mac. I have tried to change the host file and that does not work. I am running Lion, but I have tried it on Windows 7 as well.

I have also tried these methods:

http://everythingapplepro.net/?p=221

http://www.lovefortech.com/2011/05/1...ken-ios-4-3-3/

http://www.redmondpie.com/downgrade-...utorial-guide/

I tried to use tiny umbrella as well but it will not recognize the device or list any of its specs. When its in dfu i pressed fix recovery and at one point the phone gave me this screen: http://i53.tinypic.com/9u3oub.jpg

I tried unchecking the set hosts to cydia on exit box and that did not make iTunes budge. I have tried this on windows and Lion.

Do you guys have an thoughts or suggestions? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? If anyone has insight or solution to this problem Could you list it out step by step on what I should do? I just want to make sure I do this right if there still is a way to fix it.

At the moment the phone is stuck on trying to boot over and over again.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You are being paranoid. The screen fix recovery gave u was correct . If u had been patient it would have booted up ..
Anyways download ifaith And save your blobs first. It will give you 4.3.3 blobs. You need them to restore to 4.3.3 :)
Rest will follow up when u save the shsh blobs

paulius005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Before I read your reply I followed these directions:

"Put phone into DFU.
Open tinyumbrella start TSS server.
Shift restore in iTunes and select cust 4.3.3.
Upon reaching error 1013 close tinyumbrella and iTunes and put the phone into DFU.
Download and run fixrecovery43. (if your using windows make sure you have permissions). "

Here is the order that I did things in and what happened.

First I put the phone in DFU without using redsn0w, turned on tiny umbrella and ran the server. Then i turned on iTunes and tried to install the custom IPSW, it gave me error 1600. I went on to use fix recovery43 and it seemed to do its job. After it was done the phone was still just trying to boot, but would not.

Then I put the phone into DFU using redsn0w and repeated the process, except iTunes actually updated the phone. Problem is, it will not come out of DFU mode now. I tried to run fix recovery43 and it gave me this:

"Hooking jump_to command
libusb:error [darwin_transfer_status] transfer error: timed out
Exiting libpois0n
logout"

i tried to go to DFU through redsn0w and did. Went to iTunes with tiny umbrella running its server and it gave me error 1600 again.

Currently the phone is in DFU and will not come out whether i try to reset it or hold both buttons for 25 seconds+.

Can you elaborate on your directions if they are still applicable?

paulius005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
So I tried this:

Restore to a stock 4.3.3
Will give u an error.
Then run fixrecovery43.

I DFU'd it through redsn0w and then installed the stock operating system until iTunes gave me error 1015.

Then I ran fixrecovery43 which seemed to work, but after everything was does it went straight back to DFU mode.

This is the text from fixrecovery43

Initializing libpois0n
No matching processes belonging to you were found
Waiting for device to enter DFU mode
opening device 05ac:1227...
Found device in DFU mode
Checking if device is compatible with this jailbreak
Checking the device type
Identified device as iPhone2,1
Preparing to upload limera1n exploit
Resetting device counters
Sending chunk headers
Sending exploit payload
Sending fake data
Exploit sent
Reconnecting to device
Waiting 2 seconds for the device to pop up...
opening device 05ac:1227...
Preparing to upload iBSS
Checking if iBSS.n88ap already exists
Preparing to fetch DFU image from Apple's servers
Fetching Firmware/dfu/iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu...
[==================================================] 100.0%
Uploading iBSS.n88ap to device
Reconnecting to device
Waiting 10 seconds for the device to pop up...
opening device 05ac:1281...
Setting to configuration 1
Setting to interface 0:0
Preparing to upload iBSS payload
Loaded payload for iBSS on n88ap
Uploading iBSS payload
Executing iBSS payload
Initializing greenpois0n in iBSS
Checking if device is already jailbroken
Booting jailbreak ramdisk
BOOT: Preparing to upload ramdisk
Executing ramdisk
Setting kernel bootargs
Preparing to upload devicetree
Checking if DeviceTree.n88ap already exists
Preparing to fetch firmware image from Apple's servers
Fetching Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n88ap.production/DeviceTree.n88ap.img3...
Uploading DeviceTree.n88ap to device
Loading devicetree
Preparing to upload kernelcache
Checking if kernelcache already exists
Fetching kernelcache.release.n88...
Hooking jump_to command
Exiting libpois0n
logout

If I attempt to press fix recovery on tiny umbrella it just stays on this screen: http://i53.tinypic.com/9u3oub.jpg and does not budge.

paulius005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Also, I am not sure if thats the proper way for it to function. But when the iPad base bands were installing the loading bar was about halfway and stayed there until the screen went black, so I am not sure if it crashed or what happened.

Just trying to provide as much detail as possible.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

U don't have shsh blobs. Thats the problem I guess.
Do this put phone In dfu. Extract the blobs using ifaith ..
Use this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy3bfK670OM

http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/ifaith.snow

Get ifaith from that link...

Now build a signed ipsw using the blobs u extracted... Then put the phone in pwned dfu using ifaith itself.. Shift restore in iTunes..

Use fix recovery43 now..it got to work then ....

Also I was the only one who gave u those steps on the other forum u posted.. :)

paulius005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Everything went well except I got error 37 on iTunes, went through fix recovery43 and then it went back into DFU.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
awadeee is probably among the best to get help from on this imo since I know he has had a allot of experience with the ipad baseband. the more details you guys provide the more people like him and others can help. (Doesn't work doesn't help) explaining how you did it and what it looks like does. you guys have to understand when you ask for help it's like we are blind so you have to tell us what you see,why how etc.

Alex.Kubiak.

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2010
i have tried everything in here and am still stuck the iphone 3gs i received was in 4.3.4 and i tried downgrading to 4.3.3 and then switching basebands to unlock it and messed up in the process and am now stuck in recovery mode. help please.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
That does nothing. It just goes back into DFU mode.

Try restoring again with the custom firmware.

awadeee is probably among the best to get help from on this imo since I know he has had a allot of experience with the ipad baseband. the more details you guys provide the more people like him and others can help. (Doesn't work doesn't help) explaining how you did it and what it looks like does. you guys have to understand when you ask for help it's like we are blind so you have to tell us what you see,why how etc.

Thank you! :) It's true, every situation is somewhat different. It's not always cut and dry! The more you tell us the more we can help. :D

i have tried everything in here and am still stuck the iphone 3gs i received was in 4.3.4 and i tried downgrading to 4.3.3 and then switching basebands to unlock it and messed up in the process and am now stuck in recovery mode. help please.

Did you have blobs when you tried to downgrade? You can seriously mess up your phone trying to downgrade firmwares without SHSH blobs. What process messed up exactly? The firmware installation or the baseband install? The more info you give me, the more I can narrow it to down one or a few problems/solutions.

paulius005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Try restoring again with the custom firmware.

I have tried restoring with the firmware that ifaith made, and the other two from the methods in the original post. Which one should I try and can you write out an exact process? I feel like I may be doing something wrong each time.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I have tried restoring with the firmware that ifaith made, and the other two from the methods in the original post. Which one should I try and can you write out an exact process? I feel like I may be doing something wrong each time.

Is your 'Hosts' file modified? That may be interfering with TinyUmbrella when you're restoring.

paulius005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Is your 'Hosts' file modified? That may be interfering with TinyUmbrella when you're restoring.

I will put my hosts file back to the way its supposed to be and then I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

aikinai

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
I had a phone that was exhibiting all of the exact same symptoms as yours and I solved it in a mad rush last night so my girlfriend could take it on a trip overseas this morning. Here's what I did to get it working on 4.1 at least:

1. Create custom IPSW with pwnagetool 4.3.3 (maybe 4.3.3.1? probably doesn't matter).
  2. Use Redsn0w to put it into pwned DFU.
  3. Use TinyUmbrella (running TSS server) to restore to the custom 4.3.3. This should succeed, but then you're stuck in black-screen DFU.
  4. Run Redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 and choose the "Force boot right now" option. Your phone should successfully boot, and you can half-rejoice, but you're not out of the recovery woods yet. If you restart, you're still stuck in DFU.
  5. Run TinyUmbrella while the phone is booted and it should recognize your phone for real instead of just having the ?0 on the left.
  6. Select the phone and click Save SHSH. It should actually work and save blobs for 4.1 4.3.4 and 5.0 betas (you might need to have the preferences changed the way TinyUmbrella recommends when you start it up).
  7. Put the phone back into recovery (since you're stuck in the loop anyway, this should be easy to do with a simple restart, or TinyUmbrella, or Redsn0w to be sure)
  8. Run the TinyUmbrella TSS server and restore with a stock 4.1 firmware. This should work now that TinyUmbrella has your 4.1 blobs. Now you should be stuck on the stock activation screen. Phone's working!
  9. Run limera1n to jailbreak.
  10. Update Cydia and install Ultrasn0w.

Now you should have a working, jailbroken, unlocked 4.1! I won't have the phone for a few weeks, but when I get a chance to look at it again, I might see if there's some way to get back to 4.3.3.

I'm pretty confident everything listed above is what finally worked for me, but I can't be 100% sure since it was 3am and I was frantically trying everything I could think of. And I'm pretty sure this should work for you since everything you described in this thread was exactly what my phone was doing.

Good luck!

AnArChYm

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
iPhone 3GS 4.3.3 stuck in dfu loop

First of all this is my scenario...

A friend of mine gave me his iPhone 3Gs after he replaced it since it was faulty and the replaced one came out with the baseband 5.16 so wanted to update the baseband to 6.15 to be able to unlock it. However I forgot to dump the shsh for the pre-installed firmware (unknown) since it was at the activation screen and I dont have the genuine sim to be able to activate it so I restored it back to 4.0 via pwnage tool leaving baseband at 5.16

However my friend wanted to upgrade it to the latest available firmware at that time was 4.3.3. So I fired up Tiny Umbrella and could not get shsh for 4.3.3 since apple closed the sign for that firmware. So I started up the TSS server and restored the 4.3.3 using local signing and 4.3.3 was restored but the phone starts always in dfu mode.
Then I opened iFaith and dumped 4.3.3 shsh and built up a signed ipsw so I could restore it but nearly at the end of the restore process, iTunes throws an error 37 and the phone still remains at dfu loop. (Although it could start via redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 choosing "Just boot tethered right now" option but will jump back to dfu once restarted - behaving like a tethered jailbreak phone although 0.9.6rc16 is an untethered exploit)

Current configuration:
iPhone 3GS stock firmware 4.3.3 using iFaith signed ipsw
baseband 5.16

Does anyone know how to continue?

reece35

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
ive been having the exact same problem, and im trying to follow these steps, however

"Create custom IPSW with pwnagetool 4.3.3 (maybe 4.3.3.1? probably doesn't matter).
Use Redsn0w to put it into pwned DFU."

im having trouble doing this because redsnow requires you to turn off the iphone to complete the dfu step, and i cant figure out how to turn the phone off without it just rebooting into recovery mode

aikinai

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
ive been having the exact same problem, and im trying to follow these steps, however

"Create custom IPSW with pwnagetool 4.3.3 (maybe 4.3.3.1? probably doesn't matter).
Use Redsn0w to put it into pwned DFU."

im having trouble doing this because redsnow requires you to turn off the iphone to complete the dfu step, and i cant figure out how to turn the phone off without it just rebooting into recovery mode

Yeah, I had the same issue, so what I did was to turn the phone off by pressing both buttons, wait just a second, and then click "Next" on Redsn0w. That way the phone was booting up at the right timing that Redsn0w was expecting even though it was doing it automatically. The timing's not even really that critical, so it shouldn't be too hard.

reece35

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
i keep getting "unexpected error!"
is that a timing issue or a totally different problem?

aikinai

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
Hmm, I never saw that error I don't think. I could be timing maybe? I just tried to time it so that it was turning itself back on about the time that Redsn0w would expect to be turning it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.