3GS faster than 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simgar988, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

My friends 3GS was twice as fast bringing up the multitasking menu vs both my and my friends 4s. Wth

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yea thats not a good test of anything....there are a lot of factors that could go in to that happening. Number one being that you probably had some things running in the background.

3. GSA190 macrumors member

GSA190

I've noticed that same thing with my old 3GS and my current iPhone4. The 3GS is slightly quicker but it's not so much anymore. The 4 is better overall.

4. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

ip4 has a faster processor and more memory.

if the 3gs is faster it's because of some flaw in the iOS software for the ip4 specifically or because of apps you've had open.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

it depends on all the stuff each has running...:rolleyes:;):)

6. Amino Man macrumors 6502

Ever since 4.1, I hate iOS on my iPhone 4.

Apple has been disappointing me a lot lately. Seriously. Everything they've been coming out with lately has been nothing but junk.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the 4 does have 4x the amt of pixels to push which may be part of the reason

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Like I said before, and what the 1st poster probably read before it was deleted: There are numerous variables that would contribute to this.

I had included a particular term that might have given my post the boot (it starts with a 't' and rhymes with 'roll') but really, the OP reads like a twitter post.

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Yeah you can't call a spade a spade here on ol MR. If it looks, walks and quacks like a duck it probably is.

10. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I actually did a similar test when I got my iPhone 4. With ZERO apps running in the background, my old 3GS with dozens of apps and content opened folders much faster than my new iPhone 4 that was just activated.

11. Amino Man macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter how many apps are running... The fact is, the iPhone 4 has a much bigger screen to deal with (more pixels). That probably takes so extra power no?

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You'd actually be surprised that the answer is 'not really'. It would require more power yes, but not much more.

If the iPhone 4 is slower at doing something as simple as load up a few icons that are already in memory simply because of more pixels, then how do you think it handles something like Epic Citadel? Pretty well actually. The 4 can push 4 times as many pixels with the same frame rate as the 3GS.

13. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

You post as worthless and accusatory. I didn't report it, but apparently someone had a problem with it.

My post got the point across but also some panties in a bunch, I'm sorry for that.

Dang, I really enjoyed te snappiness of the 3GS

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't know what's going on with yours but my iP4 opens the multitasking bar instantaneously. No lag what's so ever and that's with 15 apps in memory.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The task bar opening faster or slower doesn't mean much. Are the apps themselves running slower? Is the iphone 4 less stable, with apps crashing more often than the 3GS?

Those are the things that you should worry about. Everything else is just typical Apple-owner-OCD.

16. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

I've upgraded from a 3G to an iPhone 4 so the performance leap has HUGE. But before I got it I did think about the hardware differences between iPhone 4 and 3GS.
    From what I understood they both have the same GPU chip and the difference is in the CPU. Since iPhone 4 pushes four times more pixels it is logical to assume that if the hardware doesn't compensate it may have lower frame rates.
    Nonetheless I heard somewhere that Apple said the iPhone 4 offers at least the same frame rates as the 3GS so probably the A4 offers some help there.
    In a way the iPhone 4 and 3GS are in the same way related like the first generation (2G) and the 3G because they had the same CPU and GPU and offered the same performance in games.
    If what I'm saying is valid then we should expect a GPU leap in iPhone 5 and if now we have a retina display and engines the likes of Unreal Engine 3 and the one from ID Software, rage I think it's called (obviously Unity can be called here also they've done a great job pioneering even if the other two get the press) then we can easily imagine a bright future for gaming for iOS.

P.S. Airplay iOS games on Apple TV or Apple TV App Store. Me want!!!

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

18. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

that's obviously the ONLY explanation....lol

19. Pharos macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

To the dude who said he hated his iPhone after 4.1: same here. Actually I just downgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 4.0.2 and suddenly my device is smooth and fast like when I first bought it. There's nothing in 4.1 or 4.2 that I need anyway. It feels like iOS 4.3 to be honest. No more glitchy UI either. When Apple gets their **** together in a future version, then I'll update.

20. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

I don't understand how bad it really is. I got my iPhone 4 and it worked flawlessly. It was so smooth it was like I was dreaming.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Same here, everything is INSTANT on my iPhone 4 and I have plenty of jailbroken stuff on it.

22. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

are you sure it IS faster....or does it LOOK faster. iOS 4 has a little different (slower but smoother) animation to it.

23. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You do realise that slower animations don't actually mean less work. Think of any 3D game, like Max Payne: if you go into the slo-mo mode, does the FPS go up?

I'm gonna say this again: Epic Citadel demo, 60fps on the 3GS. Guess what 60fps on the iPhone 4 too. And it's pushing 4x more pixels. Is the iPhone 4 faster?

24. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

totally missed the point I was making. If you compare previous iOSes and iOS 4 the animation looks slower to the eye. It looks smoother. I said nothing about it being less work.

25. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Fair enough. My point is sort of combined response to everyone else's posts. Probably not knowing who you were replying to probably make my post a little pointed.