3GS: Future downgrade possibilities

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Arisian, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Hey guys,

Quick question I just thought of.

I'm stuck now at iOS4 on my 3GS w/o SHSH on file. Do you think there will be the possibility to downgrade to 3.1.3 at all or are people in my same position always going to be stuck at 4.0+

Gracias

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You're probably S.O.L.

I'd highly recommend grabbing your SHSH file whenever a new version is released. Even if you don't plan on jailbreaking it, there are good reasons to have it.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Unless someone can obtain Apple's private key, there will never be a way for people without saved SHSH's to downgrade.

4. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

Thanks for the responses guys

It's kind of unfortunate because when I was on 3.1.3 I tried to save my SHSH blobs, but I think the request was still pending while I tried to upgrade to 4.0 via pwnage tool.

Oh well - Thanks alot guys.

B

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If 4.0 was out, assuming you don't mean the beta, then Apple might have stopped signing 3.1.3 at that point. They generally only sign one version at a time with little overlap. Signing a version is tied to the current release, not to whats on your phone.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I can't see any possible way this will work. It might have worked to downgrade 4.0 beta to 3.1.3 while 3.1.3 was still being signed. It might work if you have your SHSH blobs. But I can't see it working now.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Your method will only work for people who have their SHSH cached on saurik's server through Cydia. You're just describing Saurik's method and tacking on an overly-complicated way of kicking the phone out of the resulting boot loop.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My ridicule is based on my experience. Only Apple can sign the SHSH blob, so there is no way that pointing your hosts file to any other server is going to work if you don't have your SHSH blob already saved there.

Your "proof" did not prove anything.

I'm sure you mean well, but it sill doesn't change the fact that this method will not work in the OP's case. It will just cause more headache.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. andy071202 macrumors member

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, the fact that you have had success with this method proves that your SHSH are on file with Saurik, even if you didn't know you did. Your method clearly has you redirecting gs.apple.com to saurik's server by editing the hosts file. That is the crucial step in your tutorial, and it only works if saurik's server has your SHSH on file. That is a fact.

And of course Saurik's method did not include anything about QuickPwn or creating bin folders. That's because doing so is completely unnecessary. There are at least three other ways to bypass the errors you bypass with Quickpwn, and all of them are better than yours.

Incidentally, threatening to remove your drivel from the board really isn't going to be an effective tactic, since our entire goal is to make clear that your posts are at best confusing.

12. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

How is it that so many people have their blobs backed up but don't realize it -

Thanks for hte try, but it won't work w/o SHSH blobs. PERIOD.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

@andy071202 is really gonna have to eat some serious crow when he gets jailbroken and Cydia shows his SHSH blobs saved for 3.1.3. :eek:

To be a fly on the wall that day ??

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Those who claim never to have been jailbroken may have refurbished replacement iPhones (the ECID on such a device won't change unless the fault was in the ECID chip itself), or they may have purchased previously-jailbroken but restored devices second-hand. Those who were previously-jailbroken but did not think they had saved their SHSH probably just clicked "make my life easier" without knowing what they were doing.

15. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

that would mean I care. I just ignore.

16. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Why even bother with the redirect to Saurik's server if you don't have blobs there and you magically found a way around the signing issue?

17. douflag macrumors member

Test your luck.

18. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

That would be kind of hard being as how my blobs are on file. Of course it will work for me. If the blobs were not needed then there would be no reason to redirect to Saurik's server, so why does the guide even have you do it?

19. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Ok I am going to call you out on this. I have seen you post multiple times recently saying you saved your SHSH but could not find them or they were pending. Well here is the real story. You first posted asking how to jailbreak your phone on the 28th June. Apple stopped signing Shsh for 3.1.3 on 21st June, there is no way you saved shsh for 3.1.3. Here is a reminder of your first post on the subject.

" Info on jailbreaking 3.1.3 3Gs - old vs new bootrom
    Hey guys,

Figured if someone could answer this for me, would be useful for everyone.

I've done about 2 hours of searching and have come away with inconclusive answers. If someone could fill in the blanks, I'd be more than grateful- def. not a noob at this, just a lot of new info out there and quite a bit of it seems to be conflicting

1. How do you know if you have the new bootrom or the old bootrom- which is old, which is new. These numbers mean nothing w/o some reference.

I used f0recast and got this screen.http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....1&d=1277713463

2. Half the people are saying you need the SHSH on file, half say no need. Half say you need to downgrade to 3.1.2 to JB 4.0, others say no need

Ive been reading here, modmyi, and iphonehacks.com - I know better than to ask a question w/o searching You guys are vicious!

Also, f0recast says it's not unlockable -can someone explain to me, kindly, why that is at this point - My assumption is that once its JB that the new ultrasnow could unlock any baseband.

btw, the serial is : 88925xxxxxx

Thanks so much,
    Brian "

20. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

Ok great - you "called me out". hah! I was saying that I tried to saved them, remembered pushing the "Make my life easier" button - but they aren't on file. What is the only possible explanation for that? They didn't go through or apple stopped signing them... Nonetheless, I dont have them. I'm not whining about it.

Furthermore this CURRENT post has nothing to do with the older post. The current post is asking if there is the possibility IN THE FUTURE to downgrade to 3.1.3 w/o SHSH via some new method or something along those lines.

I got clear answers from both threads. I'm not rehashing the same subject.

Not sure if I'm following your point. Im not trying to hide anything here or be deceptive.

21. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Apparantly it's that he doesn't believe you could have clicked "Make My Life Easier" before 21 Jun since you didn't post about trying to jailbreak 3.1.3 until 29 Jun. But then, that discounts the possibility that you might previously have been jailbroken on 3.1.2. *shrug*