Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SERmaniac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Hello,

I've got a 16GB 3GS running iOS 4.0 and all of a sudden today the phone refuses to back up. iTunes is giving me the error "iTunes cannot back up the iphone because an error occurred."

It continues to sync after that and move apps and music around, but it won't back up. I tried again after that and it wouldn't sync calendars, contacts, notes, etc. Whats going on here?

By the way this is on a Macbook with the newest updates for Snow Leapord and iTunes.

goatmeat

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
I am having the same problem. I've deleted the old back up and put in a password. It still doesn't allow me to back up. It will sync just fine, but no backing up. I wonder if I have too many apps installed? I will investigate this and report findings.

Any help is appreciated

Joe

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I always find that in order for me to properly sync I have to disable Zone Alarm Free Firewall, even if I have all the access set to allow communication with iTunes and iTunesHelper it still interferes and doesn't allow me to sync properly, always returning with some sort of error.

KC Chris

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
Solution: In iTunes, with your iPhone connected, right-click the iPhone device icon and select "Back Up" from the pop-up menu. This forces a new backup. Afterwards, sync as usual. This has worked for me anyway on two separate occasions when I've had the backup-sync error. (32gb 3Gs ios 4.2.1 w/ iTunes 10.1 on Vista)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.