3GS iOS 4.0 'iTunes Cannot backup the iPhone because an error occurred."

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SERmaniac, Jul 7, 2010.

1. SERmaniac macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've got a 16GB 3GS running iOS 4.0 and all of a sudden today the phone refuses to back up. iTunes is giving me the error "iTunes cannot back up the iphone because an error occurred."

It continues to sync after that and move apps and music around, but it won't back up. I tried again after that and it wouldn't sync calendars, contacts, notes, etc. Whats going on here?

By the way this is on a Macbook with the newest updates for Snow Leapord and iTunes.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Delete your old back-up. Then create a new one with a password.

3. SERmaniac thread starter macrumors newbie

4. goatmeat macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. I've deleted the old back up and put in a password. It still doesn't allow me to back up. It will sync just fine, but no backing up. I wonder if I have too many apps installed? I will investigate this and report findings.

Any help is appreciated

Joe

5. draz macrumors 6502a

I always find that in order for me to properly sync I have to disable Zone Alarm Free Firewall, even if I have all the access set to allow communication with iTunes and iTunesHelper it still interferes and doesn't allow me to sync properly, always returning with some sort of error.

6. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

In iTunes, go to the iTunes menu>Preferences>Devices. You'll see a list of backups. Delete them. Close iTunes, then reopen and resync. Should be fixed.

7. manjubn macrumors newbie

deleted the old backup and it worked for me..
    Iphone 3gs.. 16gb.. OS 4.0.1
    no password created..

thanks a million for ur help///:D:apple:

8. KC Chris macrumors newbie

Solution: In iTunes, with your iPhone connected, right-click the iPhone device icon and select "Back Up" from the pop-up menu. This forces a new backup. Afterwards, sync as usual. This has worked for me anyway on two separate occasions when I've had the backup-sync error. (32gb 3Gs ios 4.2.1 w/ iTunes 10.1 on Vista)