3Gs & iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Glideslope, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Looking for some input.

My wife's VZ contract is up on 7-19-11. She would like to purchase the $49 3Gs from at&t and add it to our at&t family plan. This is in my name and currently has two 4's and another 3Gs that will be replaced by whatever, if anything in Aug/Sept.

My concern is how the 3Gs will handle iOS 5, and what would her user experience be like? I have a hard time swallowing Apples claims of compatibility with code optimized for the A Series Chips starting in 5. She is not interested in streaming, and the phone would be on a Wi-Fi Network 60% of the time. She will most likely be using apps that involve lists, scheduling, contacts, reminders, and meal planning for herself. No GPS, tracking, or games.

She could care less about waiting for what ever is coming. I think she should simply purchase a 4 next week. It will handle iOS 5 better IMO, and none of us really care about LTE.

What would you suggest to her?

TIA. :apple:

2. Beezy macrumors regular

I think 5 is for 4 and up. I don't think I would recommend 3gs unless you get it for free. Of course you can just run the old OS forever if you want.

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

True.

I recommend getting the iP4. It will last longer, has better specs and will run iOS 5 more smoothly.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

iOS 5 is for 3GS, 4, and 5/4S in Fall. How long they'll keep updates going for it is another question, like how 3G doesn't support 4.3 and onwards.

5. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I've been running iOS 5 on my 3GS for a while and whilst it works reasonably well I'd say get the iPhone 4 as it'll offer a smoother experience.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Get the iphone 4

it will run ios 5 well and you still get all the things you need. ios 5 will work on 3gs but who knows how well.

7. Glideslope thread starter macrumors 601

Glideslope

8. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The 3GS runs iOS 5 fine, but you'll really notice a difference when you compare it to an iPhone 4 or 5. It's not as bad as the 3G with 4.x, but I wouldn't expect many future software updates.

All in all, for $50, it is good for what it is.
    Though it's longevity (in terms of software) shouldn't be compared to phones that are newer and 4-6x more expensive. It's more or less like your average Android smartphone (let say - HTC Inspire for $0-70 depending on where you buy it) that only receives one, if any, updates.

10. Glideslope thread starter macrumors 601

Glideslope

TKS. This really was my issue. What if there is something in early 2012 for the 4 that she really would want?

I think we will spring for a White at&t 4 on Tuesday. That way she will have room to grow if she wants to.

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. :apple:

11. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

i've iOS 5 running on my wife's 3GS which runs pretty well IMO but when you see it running beside my iPhone 4 you would definately want to go for a 4

12. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

the 3Gs Won't have many updates .I mean the 3G stooped in iOS 4.2.1 maybe the 3gs will stop in 5.2.1 .who knows