3GS or 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deraj090, Apr 29, 2011.

  1. deraj090 macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2010
    Hey guys,

    I have $350 to buy either a 3GS or a 4 (without contract). Should I go for the 3GS (at no cost, since it'll cost around $350) or spend the extra to get the 4 (at retail price)? I'll be using my upgrade to get the iPhone 5 when it comes out, so retail price is my only option right now. In other words, will the 3GS suffice (speed-wise, etc.) until the 5 comes out?

    I don't need the front-facing camera, so that isn't a selling point for me.

  2. iLucas macrumors 6502

    Feb 5, 2011
    After having both the 4 and the 3GS, if i was you i'd get the 4. The 4 is so much smoother than the 3GS even though it would be pricer for you i think it is worth it.
  3. Vizin, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. MrLeQuack macrumors newbie

    Apr 29, 2011
    I think you should wait for iPhone5, not worth buying 3gs or 4 if you know you are going to buy i5 when it is released!
  5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    If possible, I would also wait until the next iPhone comes out later this year. If you can't, then go with the iPhone 4. While the 3GS is nice, it is almost 2 years old at this point and I would suspect that it will not run all of the features of the next iOS.
  6. rgarjr macrumors 603


    Apr 2, 2009
    Southern California
    Just get a 3GS for the meantime, then when the new one comes out, u get it.
  7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

    Sep 27, 2010
    Nor Cal, USA
    I my area I was able to find a 4 for $360, even though most are $400-500. 3Gs sell for $200-300 depending on condition and capacity.
  8. shelbymayer macrumors regular

    Aug 4, 2010
    iphone 4...If you have $350 to put towards it the cost difference will be a little over $200. When the 5 comes out you can turn around and sell your 4 recoup more then the $200 you have in it and get your ip5 for free with possibly a little cash left over!
  9. Legion93 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 6, 2011
    Death Star, Rishi Maze
    I'm still waiting for the iPhone 9, should I still buy the 3GS? :d
  10. err404 macrumors 68020

    Mar 4, 2007
    If I were looking for a nice phone to hold me over until the 5, I'd go for the 3GS. Runs all current apps great and you can buy a used one cheep.

    Is the $350 going anywhere if you don't spend it now?
  11. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816


    Apr 25, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you're planning to get a 5 in the fall, and you must absolutely have an iPhone right now, then save some money and get a 3GS.

    If there's any chance that you won't end up picking up a 5 in the fall, then get a 4.
  12. wordoflife macrumors 604


    Jul 6, 2009
    3GS, since you are most definitely upgrading anyways.
  13. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2010
    Thanks everyone!

    That’s exactly what I was thinking… Just wasn’t sure if it was worth the $250 today.

    I wouldn’t be doing it through the AT&T upgrade – so I can get the iPhone5 (whenever it comes out) for $200 whenever I choose.

    When it comes to performance -- will I notice a drastic difference between the 3GS and 4?
  14. err404 macrumors 68020

    Mar 4, 2007
    Not really. The iP4 is faster, but much of the extra horse power is spent driving the RD screen. The extra RAM also helps multitasking feel a bit smoother on the 4, but once you are in the app they perform very similar.

    While it doesn't directly affect the functionality/usability, the RD screen looks FAR better then the 3GS...
  15. iOS v Android macrumors member

    Apr 26, 2011
    Do you need an iPhone

    I would say if you are just trying to get a phone to hold you off until the iPhone 5 get a cheap phone. Their is no reason to drop 350 on a phone you will be using for three to four months tops. Save some of that money get a gift for your parents/GF/BF/wife/husband/Kids/ Bribe a professor.

    You can get a simple go phone brand new. for 19.99 you can get one with a camara for 50 and a smartphone for 180.
  16. braddick macrumors 68040


    Jun 28, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    I would at least consider getting the iPhone 2G. They're going pretty cheap on eBay and the unlimited plan along with 200 texts per month is only $20.
    Activation via iTunes is super easy and really when you get your iP5 you will be able to sell the 2G for what you paid.

    It's a bit of a step back but think how much the iP5 will feel when you 'upgrade' to it this fall!
  17. deraj090, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011

    deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2010

    Woah-- I think you're on the wrong forum, pal! a $19.99 go phone? I'm currently using a Blackberry 9700. I'm 100% going to be getting either the 3GS or 4... just haven't decided which.

    I think I may have asked this question the wrong way. I left out a little bit of detail. I sold two of my iPhone 3G (8GB/16GB) for a total of $350. Now I'm just deciding if I should get a used 3GS on eBay with that money... or spend the difference to get the iPhone 4.

    I'd be doing this without a contract, as I'm not eligible until August. I'd get the iPhone 5 eventually -- not necessarily in the fall when it FIRST comes out... sometimes I like to wait to see if they messed anything up (like the iPhone 4 antenna!).

    Does that change anyone's opinion?
  18. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2010
    You can close this thread.

    Ended up buying an iphone 4 on eBay. I figured if I was going to get the 3GS on eBay, why not get the 4 on eBay as well?
  19. ntrigue macrumors 68040


    Jul 30, 2007
    What did you pay and has it arrived?
  20. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2010
    $440 after shipping. JUST purchased it, so no it hasn't arrived. I'll update when it comes in. It was listed as "Mint - Like New", and pictures seem to confirm that, so the seller better hope that's what shows up at my door!

    Thanks for all the advice guys.
  21. nukem170 macrumors member

    Feb 14, 2011
    If the buyer has a lot of good ratings they are usually trustworthy. I do a lot of buying and selling on eBay. That's a pretty good deal for an iphone 4.
  22. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2010
    Yea this guy was 100% and seemed to sell mostly electronics. Also, he wasn't a power seller, which I refuse to buy electronics from, as they're mostly just dropship warehouses filled with crap refurbished devices.

    There were actually many iPhone 4's (both AT&T and VZW) in the $450-$500 price range. The problem is that eBay is flooded with SO many iPhone 4's at the $600+ price range (unlocked) that it was tough finding a good deal unless I sorted by price, and just went down the list. Since I didn't need an unlocked device, it wasn't hard finding one.
  23. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

    Apr 9, 2009
    I honestly would get the iPhone 4. I got quite lucky yesterday when someone told me he would sell his iPhone 4 16GB for $350. He originally thought it was 32GB. Checked the serial and it's not stolen and still has hardware warranty which is pretty awesome. There are stupid people on Craigslist and that's what I would do, scope that out and see. If you are impatient, then buy the 3GS.

    P.S. I'll be PMing you on the details for my 3GS for sale too! ;)
  24. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2010
    Hey guys -- phone came in last night. EXCELLENT screen condition... just a few things:

    1) the lock/unlock button rattles. I checked some threads and noticed this happens to a lot of people -- something I should be concerned with?

    2) did a full charge overnight (without the battery being drained). Moderate usage this morning on my commute into work, and I'm already on 48%. I'm going to give it a full drain and see if that improves the battery life. Is there a way to check the battery's current total capacity?

    The serial seems to still be under the 1 year warranty until October 2011 -- and it offered me the option of purchasing AppleCare. What do you guys suggest?

  25. Thisis macrumors newbie

    Apr 26, 2011
    that is ok.
    if you want to have an iphone now, you should chosen :apple:4 with 100%

Share This Page