3GS plugged in overnight, wake up @ 98%?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ajohnson253, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I am pretty sure other 3GS users have noticed this before but the is my 1st time ever having a problem with the phone. The battery has almost treated me well and still is. I don't know if this is an issue or not.
    So I woke up this morning and I keep my 3GS plugged in over night everyday connected to my MacBook pro and my mbp never goes to sleep so the phone stays getting a charge. I woke up this morning and it was at 98% or 97%. First time ever doing this.
    Is there a reason for that? I'd appreciat it if someone had an answer. 5 minutes later after using it while still plugged in the charge went back up to 100%

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Is it the only thing plugged intothe USB port?

How long was overnight?

When was the lasttime you recalibrated your battery?

3. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I calibrated it about a month ago maybe a little less which is what confuses me. It has been left in for about 7 hours.

4. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Oh and yes it is the only thing plugged into the USB port.

5. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

As it went to 100% later, I would say that it just gave a non-updated battery reading and it has not updated yet. No really something to cause worry!?!?!

6. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I was kind of thinking the same because it started to go back up as I used it while still plugged in. Maybey computer at one time froze or may have fallen asleep.

7. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Oh man, this happen to me right after the recent firmware update. I thought it was just me but yea it was at 98% after the entire night of charge. Than when i reboot it went up to 99%. anyone think this is a issue ??

8. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Mine has done this since release date. Nothing fixes it.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It is a small misreading on the software part, rest assured you are at 100%. If you feel your battery is messing up you can always call up Apple.

10. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Ahhh it's one of those things huh. Guessing it's not a problem, right?:eek:

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's not a problem. It's just typical charging logic for Apple products.

If a battery is in the 95% or above battery level, generally the iPhone won't charge it. Same is true for mac laptops. Once the battery falls below 95% though, it will top it off.

12. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Same actually for most new batteries

It's software written so that the balance between a fully charged battery / extending the life of the battery are met

Even if your phone is plugged in it can still draw more than what it is being charged with

the Iphone wall charger charges at 1amp
    the iphone usb cord can only charge at .5 amps
    the iphone car adapters have a 2amp fuse ( so theoretically up to 2amps, but probably 1amp)

If you run the GPS chip + Full brightness + Stream a video Over 3g, the phone will draw more than 1amp, and eventually overheat if it doesn't have enough air ventilation ( this was discussed in an old MR thread)

If you have problems with your iPhone not charging, or discharging over night, try plugging it into the wall charger