3GS video is impressive, camera still lame

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eye.surgeon, Jun 20, 2009.

1. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I've been taking some sample pictures and video with my new 3GS and I'm impressed with the video quality for a camera phone. Photos on the other hand are a let-down. I was expecting a big improvement from the previous and I'm just not seeing it. The camera app functionality is much improved but the actual photo quality is still mediocre.

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Tap to focus.

3. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I was convinced I wouldn't be buying the 3GS. Then I saw the quality of video it takes. Needless to say, I now own one. The video on this thing is unreal for a phone. Worth the upgrade if you can get subsidized pricing.

4. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

The video quality is tremendous on this phone. I was very surprised.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

The video and the camera are truly amazing, esp the video for a phone!

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

7. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'm surprised at the photo quality, actually. Especially outside, the pictures rock.

8. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

I can't speak on previous iPhones but this is my first one and I am definitely impressed. The quality of the pictures I took in the dark is about 100x better than my previous phone. I love tap to focus.

9. Doju macrumors 68000

Really? I find the pictures quite impressive. Comparing them to my friend's pictures on Facebook with actual dedicated digital cameras, the iPhone pictures are easily on par, if not better.

Now video. Wow.

10. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

the photos are not much better I will wait till next gen :)

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

lol

people crack me up it's a cell phone that has a camera yes some cells have good camera but they lack something else everything is plus and minus. if you really need a good camera by all means buy one. but then don't go on a rampage because you can't make a call with your camera. the too me the Camera is sort of like the apps, it's nice to have a camera handy but I wouldn't use it for major photography. forgot your camera at a event better then nothing or somebody hits my car I know I will be real happy I have it.

12. Ben C. macrumors member

Ben C.

I agree with the OP... the video is impressive, and the audio and video in the videos taken is superior to my old beater Canon A620's videos (7.1 MP). Camera though... still not even half as good as my old Olympus 2.1 MP camera. Outdoors, with bright sunlight, seems to be the only way to get reasonable photos with the iPhone. Indoors, or outdoors with moderate lighting gave pretty grainy photos that lacked detail and if there was any movement by the subjects they were blurred. So I'll still be lugging around my Canon Rebel XSi ;)

That said, it's good for a phone camera for sure, and the auto white balance is a great feature. You'll always have it on you to snap shots of the unexpected, at ok quality (when you shrink the photo to 1/2 the size), which is a nice thing to have. But we didn't buy the iPhone for the camera...