3GS Vs. Bold

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HarrisonB, Jul 6, 2009.

1. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

My gf's sister is trading a 3GS for a BB Bold. Help me talk her out of it before she makes a horrible mistake.

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Why is it a horrible mistake for her?

3. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

4. hsk macrumors regular

If I had to type a lot on my mobile device, I would have one too. Maybe she just needs a physical keyboard?

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Let her do it, she may eventually come back. iPhone isn't right for everyone.

6. HarrisonB thread starter macrumors 6502

All she does is browse the internet. Horrible Horrible Horrible.

7. ajpak macrumors member

I had both phones before, i mean the bold is a great phone but, it definitely is not better then the iphone. But, everyone needs different things in a phone

8. hsk macrumors regular

Oh, well then I am glad map1978 called the iPhone police cuz she's crazy.

9. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

Aside from a real keyboard, the Bold has nothing over the iPhone (Oh right, I forgot. You also get a carrier logo slapped on the front).

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you missed one other thing and that is BES. Nothing so far has come close to touching that system.

As a produtivity tool in a phone there is a reason blackberry is king but the iPhone and Blackberry may both be smart phones but they are targeted at very different people. Each one is great in that respective area but not so strong at head to head.

Case and point is the Storm I feel tried to go head to head with the iPhone and failed but when RiM stayed in their normal area they ruled it and the iPhone just will not be able to really touch that area.

Now blackberry "Magnum" should be interesting.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

As a former BB user who just switched. There are several things that I liked about the software that the iPhone doesn't do or do as well. I like that I can tag an email and then scroll down and then delete a whole bunch of emails instead of either doing it individually or clicking edit then tagging each one and hitting delete.

BB's have a universal inbox which is nice - esp since it also includes txts.

BB also has profiles.

Now I love my new 3GS and can live without the above - but to say that blackberries are only better at email or aren't as good as iphones is silly. It really all depends on what you want from your phone and what UI works best for you.

A phone can have everything but the kitchen sink - but if it doesn't have the feature you need or want - or you don't like how it's presented - then to one person, that phone is a waste of time.

Different strokes for different folks.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've come to realize that girls love the BB mostly due to the keyboard which is great for shooting message and we all know girls like the txting/IMing/emailing.

If it works for her then let her do it. iPhone contrary to what you might think isn't for everyone

13. moka macrumors 6502a

let her call me, ill talk to her and set her straight on this!

14. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

This site really needs the crybaby.gif smilie... sheeesh :rolleyes:

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Why? Maybe the BB works better for her needs.

That's true. Everyone has different needs.

16. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

That is why I asked why was it a horrible mistake ;)

17. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

I have them both and until the improved speed of the 3gs, I wasn't willing to give up my bold. Now my bold is heading to ebay...but we all appreciate different things.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why is it a horrible mistake for her, perhaps the BB is a better fit for her needs. As phones go the Bold is a nice one. I've used blackberrys in the past and while I like the iPhone I can see why people will continue to use them

Just because its not an apple doesn't mean she's making a horrible mistake. Clearly she's not liking the 3GS as she's trading it in so I would turn it around and saying she'll make a horrible mistake by keeping the iPhone, if she's not happy with it.

19. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

If it's her first iPhone and she wants the "advantage" of a physical keyboard, I would tell her to give the soft keyboard a week or two.

I can do 64wpm on my iPhone because I just "trust" it. It's not perfect but it's damn good and I love the fact that my fingers can just skip across the surface without any need to press in on a key.

Also, on the iPhone, you know exactly what you're hitting by the big letter that pops up above each key. If you make a mistake, you just keep typing hitting the space bar because 95% of the time it gets it right and all you have to do is confirm the correction with a tap of the space bar.

Also, the Blackberry's browser sucks, it's not even a web-kit based browser, so it's not as fast.

If all she does is text and email, and I mean all, then maybe a bold is a good choice. But I still stand firm that the iPhone keyboard is just as good, except for having to look at it.

20. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

When the phone police is done investigating, I'll call for a Waaambulance.

21. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

If she's more into messaging on a keyboard, the BB will be better for her, especially if all her friends have BB where they can use the BB messenger function. If she's more into checking things on the web and listening to music, then the iPhone will be better.

22. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Everyone's asking why it's a horrible mistake. Why is everyone asking this? Read the OP's post!

"All she does is browse the internet"

For browsing the internet, the iPhone is better. There's no discussion.

I suspect she also wants the Blackberry because of its status or because she wants to BBM/txt with her friends and the OP neglected to tell us that. In that case, it's her decision (well, it is anyway, but you know what I mean).

23. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I'm not a fan of the physical keyboard on most smart phones after my HTC TILT. It was nice, but I found myself trying the stylus keyboard a lot more. The virtual keyboard of the iPhone just makes more sense to me. But why do you feel like she is making a mistake? My biggest caveat with the BB Bold was the scrolly ball. I heard it jams. If that thing breaks, it becomes very hindered. There are other phones out there.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Better is subjective and clearly the OP's sister does not like the iPhone or at least thinks she'll like the Bold better.

I'm still not sold on the idea that she's making a horrible mistake because she's unhappy with the iPhone

25. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That means there's one more iPhone for someone who WANTS it....:p:p:p