3rd Gen iPhone to be 4G (LTE) 150mbs down/50mbs up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whlphil, Jan 16, 2009.

1. whlphil macrumors member

Was doing a bit of research into the iphone baseband chip and ended up writing this post for a website

http://www.mygadgetlife.co.uk/start/?p=294

What's your thoughts?

Hasn't the LTE roll out started in the US already?

Do you think this will mean 3rd Gen will be back end of year?

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Not a chance. Coverage is pretty much nonexistant in the US. Adding it would be a waste of time and money for all parties involved.

3. whlphil thread starter macrumors member

Not a chance?

The same chip does do 2g, 3g, LTE aswell so dependant on cost i wouldnt see it as much of a change?

4. ex8886 macrumors member

I'd rather see a WiMax (not a chance though) chip in it since it's already out where I live. LTE seems to be a few years away from being implemented.

5. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

WiMax is beginning to look like a wasted effort. Clearwire doesn't have the financial backing to roll it out, nor does it have the service to keep its existing customer.

7. whlphil thread starter macrumors member

LTE might be quicker than you think in deployment

Apparently LTE might well not be deployed in the usual way of upgrading base stations, the thoughts are that carriers will issue femtocells to their customers who also have wired connections as 30 to 40 % of traffic for carriers is from the home and wired traffic is cheaper so the femtocells will be issued to customers for free as they will ease traffic on the wireless network

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Highly unlikely. In the US AT&T and Verizon are going to be the only LTE carriers and both have said the technology won't be rolled out until late 2009 or mid 2010.

Besides, the most logical path for the next iPhone would be 3.5G which is full HSDPA/HSUPA support.

9. whlphil thread starter macrumors member

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Huh, that article only states about femtocells and picocells of 4G networks. What does it have to do with this?

If you mean why not put 4G in the iPhone even though 4G is not here yet, then, simply because:

1. Overkill
    2. Wouldn't be used
    3. Business 101... sell 4G when 4G is here.
    4. Apple always takes time to do stuff.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Verizon is starting this year, but ATT has already said they're not thinking about deploying LTE until at least 2012.

Yep, that's what ATT says they want to do instead.

12. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Don't matter, if they crap out or Sprint doesn't back them someone will buy the band.

Thats wifi speeds up to 60 miles per tower, thats incredible stuff pal.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Try using it. Perhaps Clearwire was oversubscribing (in its first month?), but it was indeed one of the slowest speed I ever experienced. For mobile internet may be acceptable, but certainly not broadband worthy.

14. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Oh, Clearewire? Fail.

Do you not realize how fast 150mbps is? Why... and how? The fastest home broadband they sell in my area is 16mpbs and that is WAY faster than the iPhone is able to process anyways.

15. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I'd guess LTE in iphone by version 4 maybe? Late 2010-2011.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Verizon can say what they want, but they know deploying 4G right now will be a mistake. They just came out from deploying EV-DO equivalent of 3.5G. That's a big investment and continuing to invest heavily without letting your corporation save money is a suicidal move that ultimately killed a carrier like Sprint.

Sprint was killed by the fact that they developed their network so much to approach perfect, that they ended up having losses from having to maintain the network. That and add to the mix the horrible Customer service and stupid fees Sprint has customers leave making Sprint not only loose money thru operational costs, but also loose revenue from customers as these are leaving.

Verizon is strong right now, but if there is something history has taught is that a giant like Verizon can fall. Anyways, in the end their gamble may work out, or may not.

Now back to the iPhone part of this. Still, just because Verizon is deploying LTE in 3 markets doesn't mean the iPhone will be LTE next.

17. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Uh... no. From a hardware standpoint, the iPhone is perfectly capable of sending/receiving data at speeds in excess of 16 mbit/s. Problem is, it doesn't have any network interfaces capable of actually sending/receiving that fast. (Yes, I know 802.11g can theoretically do 54 mbit, but the iPhone's chip is throttled down to conserve power.)

18. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Um... duh?

Notice I said "process" (which is a function of the iPhone's "processer") and not "send/recieve".

19. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

In addition, and correct me if I'm wrong here, isn't Verizon planning on using their share of the 700MHz spectrum precisely for LTE? In that case, any timetable they have is directly tied to how long, if at all, our Messiah-elect can delay the analog shutdown. They can't do anything about 4G until the switch occurs.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You are right. Right now, the Messiah-elect has trying to postpone shutdown of analog systems until June 1st. So, Verizon's plans will go to the crapper for this year. Also, however, I am not sure if Verizon is planning to use their chunk of the 700MHz for LTE. On the other hand I know AT&T's 700MHz chunk is great for higher speeds than Verizon, that is if AT&T can correctly build their network.

21. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I doubt it will be LTE. I'm thinking that it's going to be 3.5G, and the next iPhone after that will be LTE.

Don

22. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It seems like you misunderstood me.

The iPhone's processor is certainly capable of handling transfers in excess of 16 mbit. The only reason it currently doesn't is that it doesn't have any network interfaces that send/receive data at that rate.

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Idiotic and impossible.

Not in the slightest.

The 3rd-gen iPhone will be out in June. There will be no cell data improvements, but there will be improvements to software and all the other hardware left alone at the last update such as the battery, potentially the camera, and maybe Nike+ integration, as well as improved Bluetooth functionality that software can't add.

The next iPhone isn't about getting us better speed, because there IS no better speed. The idiotic telecoms haven't even finished 3G everywhere yet.

Apple will give us the updates they wanted to give us last time, next.

24. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

What's with the 3.5G network I've seen mentioned above? Is there a difference between 3G and 3.5G or is that just a fancier way of saying it?

I remember reading that at&t was downgrading their 2G service to provide better 3G coverage and whatnot, could that mean they are trying to boost it to a faster 3.5G speed?

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

- 2G networks = GSM, GPRS and EDGE[Considered 2.75G) (up to theoretical 256 kbps down/up, actual vary but closed to 128 Kbps)
    - 3G networks = UMTS (up to theoretical 14.4 Mbps down if HSDPA is present, but currently is able to do 3.6 Mbps)
    - 3.5G networks = HSDPA & HSUPA (up to 14.4 Mbps down and 11.5 Mbps up; however, currently HSDPA gets 7.2 Mbps and HSUPA is getting deployed but with initial speeds of 1.2 Mbps)
    - 3.75G network = HSPA+ (theoretical 42 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up, actual unknown as no HSPA+ networks are yet deployed)

iPhone is capable of reaching as much speed as the telecom can deliver with 3G technology (around 3.6 Mbps down; don't know up). However, the newer 3.5G technology speeds won't be much useful. An iPhone with 3.5G fully enabled will be able to reach theoretically those 14.4 Mbps down and 11.5 Mbps up.