All iPads 3rd party cases for iPad Air and Mini

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by aypues, Oct 29, 2013.

1. aypues macrumors regular

What are people thinking in terms of a non-Apple case for their new Air or Mini?? There are so many options, i need some narrowing down...

2. Daniel Quell, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Daniel Quell macrumors member

spigen says it is releasing a hard case, but I couldn't find a date other than December for their release.

3. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Luvvit told me that the new Dolce would be announced this week. I am hoping I can grab one before the 1st.

Previous gen Dolce for comparison- http://amzn.to/1cgUAtf

There is also the Poetic that is listed already for the Air - http://amzn.to/16JUR02

4. aypues thread starter macrumors regular

ya I saw that Poetic...SO cheap! might as well just order that now so I have something until some more options come out

5. The.Dude, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Honestly, I've had the Poetic in the past (for a Nexus 7) and they are pretty much crap. Getting one at that price to tide you over until something nicer comes along is a great idea. I don't want to steer anyone on here toward something that I know is not quality, or isn't going to last, but it makes the perfect "cheap" case to protect your investment from at least scratching for the time being.

6. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I'm getting this case for my iPad Air, the case should be here later on today:

http://www.targus.com/uk/popup.asp?sku=THZ196EU&name=THZ196EU

It's the Targus Versavu, I'm getting it as it has the option to view the iPad in landscape or portrait view, and also there are a couple of viewing positions and also a typing position too.

I'll put some pictures on of it when it arrives later on. Not sure if it has the auto sleep/wake feature of some of the other cases, but from looking at the earlier version of this case for the iPad 2, 3, 4 generation models in a shop yesterday, it did mention on the packaging that it had "magnetic on/off" so I would think it strange to remove a feature that earlier version had on.

7. THFourteen macrumors 6502

I wonder whether apple are deliberately holding back the announcements of the ios game controller cases because they want to sell more of the smart cover/cases before xmas.

8. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Anyone else going naked for their iPad air?

I might not even use a smart cover, just a sleeve for when I'm travelling

9. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I'm going naked. When I travel, it'll slip into comfortable like a Roo case.

10. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

That's exactly what I did.

11. THFourteen macrumors 6502

I've seen too many smashed ipad / iphone screens to consider doing this (including my wifes!)

99% of the time you will be fine, but if you drop the ipad in a certain way it can smash the whole screen and cost a lot to repair in the UK because our apple shops are not as friendly as the US with their free replacements.

12. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I've just received my Targus Versavu iPad Air case today. Thought I would post some pictures and some info about it.

It does not have the magnets in the cover to auto sleep/wake the iPad's screen. I went around the case with a paper clip and there was no area where the paper clip got attracted against.

I have a thin magnet off of a fridge magnet. I expect it would be easy enough to cut a little nick into the inside of the cover and slide the magnet underneath the fabric to then give you the auto sleep/wake functionality.

Here's some pictures I took of the case:

Outer packaging:

[​IMG]

Retaining lip to hold the band which holds the cover closed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Versavu provides 5 possible viewing angles which are the 3 provided with the ridges, 1 from lift up tab, and 1 from the collapsed view this one would be more for typing I would feel.

Various viewing landscape viewing angles:

Collapsed typing view:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tucked under tab landscape position:

[​IMG]

Portrait viewing angles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other pictures of the case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. L T macrumors 6502

L T

I'm going to go for AppleCare+ with this one

14. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I pulled the trigger today on two separate cases on sale at Amazon.

Both have the smart case style but for much less. Brands are Moko and RooCase. The RooCase has an origami smart cover that folds in different orientations for viewing the iPad.

Each case was about $5 shipped and use faux-leather.

15. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

that roocase looks sweet...wish it was going to be in stock sooner though

16. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I instantly bought this:

$5
    MoKo Apple iPad Air Case - Slim Folding Case for Apple iPad 5 Air (5th Gen) Tablet, BLACK (With Smart Cover Auto Wake / Sleep)
    http://amzn.com/B00CK9DAJC

17. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

i have a Poetic for my 2013 Nexus 7 and actually think it's quite nice. Plus, apparently there was a problem with early models of the Nexus case I ordered in August and Poetic subsequently sent me a replacement free without any action on my part. I couldn't find anything wrong with my first one?f Anyway, the replacement came with a nice note stating that Poetic appreciate their customers and wants to make sure they're satisfied. I won't use this case for the "Final Solution" for my new iPad Air (will wait for Moshi or Ozaki origami cases to arrive) but I ordered one tonight to use until other cases begin arriving. Wow, can't believe how cheap it is - must be trying to get some reviews/happy customers posted on Amazon quickly. My budget-challenged son uses a Poetic case for his iPad 4 full-time and loves it.

18. bobright macrumors 601

meh anything more slim as a holdover case out there that doesn't look like a junior high school binder?

19. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Right now that's the cheapest one out there:)

20. lw9090 macrumors regular

21. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Yeah, I got the same replacement case for free with the note without even saying anything. I think it was a magnet issue.

I kind of feel bad now saying that they were crap, they do really treat their customers well. My issue was that I had separation of the outer cover material and the suede material. Looking back, I'm sure they would have replaced it at no cost to me.

22. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I too got a second Poetic slim case for my Nexus 7. I was scratching my head on why because the first one worked great for me. Actually the second case's magnet wasn't as strong and didn't hold itself when the front was folded into a triangle. So I ended up just using the first one anyway.

Great customer service from them though!

If we're going to talk about all these generic cases Amazon sells, my favorite of the bunch has always been:

RooCase >>> MOKO >>> Khomo >>> Poetic

To me, they're all pretty much on the same level when you compare quality, but the RooCase brand seems to have a softer more leather-like feel accross their selection. I listed Poetic last because I don't care for their gaudy logo they slap on all their items.

23. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I got a Poetic Slimline within a week of getting my launch-day mini. I'm on my third one (warranty replacements), and all three have developed cracks, then chipouts at a corner. I posted about it a while back.

Since that post, the crack has developed into a chipout, but still very usable. Not sure if I'll try for a fourth(!) replacement. They asked me to send the last one back, but not before they had agreed to send out the replacement, and no mention of a return mailer.

24. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Mind posting some pics? I ordered one to use until the STM Grip 2 releases.

25. p3bguin911 macrumors newbie

I oredered speck stylfolio and iSmooth screen protector, came out 54$