3x24"imacs need networking advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by powderday, Dec 4, 2009.

1. powderday macrumors newbie

I have 3 24" imacs and a netgear wireless hub, I need to be able to transfer up to 1,000 images daily from the main computer to the other 2 to show them to customers. I have hardwired them all to the hub and see that they are visible on the hub but do not know how to make a secure network. I have come up with a drop box, i do not want to do it this way, I also need password protection so no-one else can wirelessly log on and steal the images.
    I passed on buying a time capsule because i thought it was too slow for our needs, but perhaps i bought the wrong netgear harware?
    thanks in advance for any help

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

connecting them wirelessly would make transferring images quite a task i imagine! i would suggest a 10/100/1000 small cisco business switch to connect them all via gigabit ethernet.

if you continue with the wireless switch, connect to the hub using its IP address, and ensure that the wireless security method chosen is "WPA2". that will ensure it is a safe network.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The easiest way is to throw away the wireless hub, buy a cheap router and three Ethernet cables, and connect the three Macs to the router through Ethernet. Absolutely safe as long as nobody can enter the rooms with the cables.

BTW. Most wireless routers also have four Ethernet ports, usually 100 Mbit/second. Ten meter Ethernet cable is less than £6, so that is £18 to be 100% secure. Replace the router with a Gigabit router later if it isn't fast enough.