4.0.1 - who's NOT updating....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Jul 15, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Not sure I'm going to update JUST yet. Might wait until 4.1 - but I'm definitely waiting until tomorrow to see what's said..

Anyone else holding off on the update for now?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I always hold off from updating. For one thing, the first day is usually a bad time; it can always wait. It’s also good to wait to see if there are issues introduced by the update.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No jailbreak was released ... therefore, Apple couldn't have patched any sort of JB.

Updating really won't risk anything.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

There's nothing in it that's all that compelling. Pass. I'll wait.

I did do the iPad 3.2.1 update though; enough changes there to make it worthwhile.

5. milerich macrumors regular

Absolutely yes! I never upgrade right away on my primary device.

I did put 4.0.1 on my 3GS and it installed fine. Haven't noticed a difference in the bars though. Still steady 4 in my house.

6. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

nahh, im doing it, i dont have any issues i just hope it's not going to get bricked like some people have reported

7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i was but gonna wait, too much crap going on right now. maybe over the weekend...

8. Fstmonte2002 macrumors newbie

Nah I'll wait.. I mean come on a fake signal fix WTF apple??

9. phrint macrumors 6502

I usually hold off on updating when I was jailbroken. 4.0.1 doesn't effect a jailbreak or unlock but now have the iPhone 4 so I will update now.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm doing it. No particular reason, but it's not like you won't get the updates wrapped into the 4.1 update, so might as well get it now.

11. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Numerous posts detailing dead iPhones on 4.0.1 attempted install?
    No way!

I'm waiting to see what Apple says tomorrow.

12. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

just done mine, the reception bars look fugly

13. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

14. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I did it around 6pm ET and had no problems at all. It downloaded and installed withing 10-20 minutes altogether.

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I'm not worried or anything about issues since it's really just a formula fix - but like Aggie - "what's the rush." It's not like there are any new features to take advantage of or bug fixes.

What I find interesting is that they say the formula has been corrected. But Apple has never said if that formula affects anything other that the visuals. Some guess that perhaps the formula dictates how the radio is powered - as in it increases when signal strength is low.

But no where does Apple say anything remotely like that in regards to changing the formula. So I'm inclined to think it's bunk. That the change is really superfluous.

Perhaps an engineer who can run tests can prove otherwise the affect the formula would or would not have on the radio.

16. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

I canceled my reservations for the iPhone 4, and I won't apply this update to my 3GS. I've lost a lot of faith in Apple. It will take some time to get it back.

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm not going to lie; I'm a little apprehensive about this one.

Sadly, I know how I operate and I'll more than likely update tonight out of boredom. :eek:

18. phrint macrumors 6502

Just finished updating mine. No bricking and no issues. Actually getting faster 3G in my house than before according to the speed tests but the antenna problem is still there. Takes longer for the bars to go down but I don't need to apply any pressure to get them to go down.

19. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Gonna wait until the press conference tomorrow at least.

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

1. This update wasn't supposed to resolve the antenna issue.

2. Applying pressure has no impact on bridging the two antennas. The lightest touch possible involving both sides of the black strip will cause the attenuation.

21. schoff0310 macrumors member

schoff0310

Bars look the same after update. Now I have 3 bars instead of 5. I had no problem with antenna before.

22. phrint macrumors 6502

I was aware of both of those. Thanks for the observation.

23. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Since you've lost your faith in Apple I suggest giving away your 3GS and use a free ATT phone with that new contract you were about to sign. That's what a REAL faithless consumer would do. If not, it appears your just looking for a place to gripe. Which is cool.

It's like people who don't eat meat because its "cruel", but have no issue wearing leather or fur.

As far as the update goes, I almost installed it (5 mins left to download) and I stumbled on the thread of those having big issues doing so. I will wait and see what Stevie says tomorrow. Just for kicks.

Blonde Buddhist

24. techluvr macrumors regular

I updated my 3G, but am holding off on the one for the 4. All of the "I bricked my phone" stories are scaring me.

25. trespinosranch macrumors newbie

I upgraded, but there is no compelling reason to do so. I don't see any difference. Antenna issue is still there.