4.1 Jailbreak and Unlock checklist

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by david martin, Dec 3, 2010.

1. david martin, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

david martin macrumors member

I'm hoping this will be my last new thread. I've been asking alot of dumb questions the last few days and I really appreciate everyones patience and help. It must be frustrating for forum regulars answering the same exact questions over and over.

Anyway I wanted to run this checklist by eveyone before I start the new jailbreak and unlock on my 3gs with 4.1 FW and 5.14 bb.

Steps

1) Save 4.1 SHSH files (useless now, but maybe not in the near future?)
    2) download redsnow 0.9.6b5 onto desktop
    3) download ipad 3.2 firmware from apple site onto desktop

4) restore iphone to 4.2 through itunes

5) open redsnow and check 6.15 bb upgrade and any other desired options
    6) run redsnow
    7) install cydia (automatic reboot will occur?)
    8) open cydia and install ultrasnow

If all went according to plan, I should be finished.

When do I insert the AT&T sim card, inorder to prevent "hacktivating"? Before itunes 4.2 restore or before running redsnow? Also, when is it safe to take it out and install my T mobile sim?

Thanks again for everyones help

2. Junkboxy macrumors member

I always do this when doing the jailbreak-then-unlock two-step:
    Step 4 in your list scares me. Better double check to see if its safe to upgrade to Apple's stock 4.2 before getting down to business; in the past that was always a risk to losing unlockability. You can have your SIM card in or out; it doesn't matter.

I'm on a 3G with a sorry-I-did-it custom 4.1,...and I'm waiting for more info on 4.2 before I rectify the situation.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U also need to download the official 4.2.1 ipsw from apple. I would leave the AT&T sim in until after u install ultrasnow.

4. david martin thread starter macrumors member

Just to clarify, IPSW stands for industrial problem solver workshop, and is a seperate program used to create custom OS systems (pwnage tool for example). Do I understand this correctly? If this is true, I don't understand how to download official 4.2.1 ipsw from apple? Isn't the redsnow software designed to jailbreak official 4.2.1 restore?

Again just to clarify, I will be inserting a AT&T sim just before running redsnow, correct? Or should it be before installing official 4.2.1? I'm guessing either way will work, but wanted to double check.

Thank you!

5. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

I haven't done a 4.2 unlock yet, but since you don't need the iPad firmware for a 4.1 unlock, I'm pretty sure you don't need it for 4.2 either. redsn0w fetches the iPad baseband for you during the JB/UL process.

6. iLover1 macrumors member

Just in case you have not read the devs team blog lately:
    JB without an official sim card installed causes hacktivation.

7. iLover1 macrumors member

hey dude, the detailed instructions I wrote previously worked for my 3G i dont have a 3Gs, I suggest you do some serious research on how to unlock 3Gs before launching anything, so far you got the right steps for and 3G device.

8. david martin thread starter macrumors member

By "official sim card" I'm asuming any AT&T sim will prevent hacktivation?

Regarding your 2nd post, I understand and appreciate all your help.

9. iLover1 macrumors member

yes "official" means original at&t sim card.

10. dgstan macrumors 6502a

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Why do you want to upgrade to 4.2.1? You can get the Ipad baseband and unlock the phone and stay on 4.1.

There is a serious advantage to staying on 4.1 your JB is not tethered. Not sure if you understand what a tethered jailbreak on 4.2.1 means but you will be stuck with an unworkable phone if you ever have to reboot your phone when away from a computer. You need to plug the phone into the computer and rerun redsnow every time you reboot.

There is nothing in 4.2.1 that is worth putting up with this inconvenience.

12. david martin thread starter macrumors member

13. david martin thread starter macrumors member

Do tell?

I would rather prefer staying on 4.1 and staying untethered, but was under the impression since I have new bootrom and since redsnow was designed to jailbreak 4.2, I would be tethered if I decide to upgrade to 6.15 bb using redsnow.

I assume I will need to download a new 4.1 ipsw onto my desktop, inorder for redsnow to do its stuff before installing?

Thanks

14. david martin thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone confirm this? I've noticed alot of youtube videos suggest it is possible in their titles. If so, where is a safe place to download 4.1 ipsw? Will I remain untethered even though my 3gs has new bootrom?

Thanks

15. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

JB & UL with the iPad baseband on a new bootrom 3GS on 4.1 is as easy as it gets. The only limitation with a new bootrom 3GS is the inability to load custom boot icons and other nonsense. The JB & UL itself is no different.

As for downloading 4.1, go to http://www.redmondpie.com/download-ios-4.1-final-version-for-iphone-4-3gs-3g-ipod-touch/

I get all of my firmwares from Redmond because their download speeds are twice as fast as Apple's. I consistently get > 1 MB/s.

16. david martin thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!

So here is my new check list,

1) download 4.1 ipsw onto my desktop

2) open redsnow and choose downloaded 4.1 ipsw
    3) select 6.15 bb upgrade and install cydia boxes

4) plug iphone into computer
    5) close itunes and turn off iphone
    6) insert AT&T sim

7) run redsnow and follow instructions
    8) assuming cydia is already installed, install ultrasnow
    9) pull out AT&T sim, place T mobile in.

Sound about right?

Two questions,
    Do I still need to select "install cydia" box in redsnow even though I have it currently?
    This will be a untethered jailbreak?

Thanks again for eveyone help! I'll be so glad if I can get through this with no tether or battery drain issues.

17. david martin thread starter macrumors member

Can someone confirm my new checklist for 4.1 and whether it will be untethered? I'm anxious to give it a try tonight, just want to know what to expect.

Thanks

18. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

You're really overthinking this, LOL. The jailbreak on 4.1 is always goi g to be untethered. Its nearly impossible to screw up.

1. Get 4.1 ipsw
    2. Get newest redsn0w
    3. Plug in iphone and turn it off
    4. Run redsn0w
    5. Select the 4.1 ipsw
    6. Select YES for question about new bootrom (if applicable)
    7. Select Install Cydia & Install iPad Baseband (even if you already have Cydia. It doesn't affect anything)
    8. Follow prompts for DFU mode.
    9. Wait for jailbreak
    10. Insert AT&T sim card (just in case, I've never had one "hacktivation" issue in dozens of jailbreaks)
    11. Install ultrasn0w.
    12. Turn off iPhone
    13. Install TMobile sim card
    14. Turn on iPhone
    15. Enjoy

19. david martin thread starter macrumors member

I know, I've made this process seem alot harder than it is, but I don't want to end up with some error message halfway through. Please bear with me a little bit longer.

Anyway, I went ahead and started the process, but got hung up 2 minutes in. I downloaded and extracted what I thought was 4.1 .ipsw from redmondpie a few days ago. Today, I then opened redsnow and tried to browse for my "corresponding .ipsw for current firmware", which I assumed was what I downloaded from redmondpie? There are no files with the correct .ipsw file type. What am I mising?

Thanks

20. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

this...i think you're making it out to be too difficult

21. david martin thread starter macrumors member

Alright figured it out. All I needed to do was change the format. I had to uncheck "hide file extension type" in control panel folder options. I plan to give it another go tomorrow when I get ahold of my buddies at&t sim card.

22. iLover1 macrumors member

Dude you are still working on this, by this time i'd figure you be sending mms on t-mobile :D

23. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You are the first person I've seen since the iphone came out refer to an ipsw with this bizarre definition. :p

24. david martin thread starter macrumors member

What can I say... I try to take my time with things I don't understand. iphone software is one of those things.

I went ahead and ran red snow, updated bb and installed ultrasnow. It seems everything went smoothly except my battery is draining. I was hoping having a AT&T sim installed during the JB and UL would prevent this? Does anyone know why this would happen?

What are my options to fix the battery drain issue? Should I try to reinstall redsnow? I read one of the dev team developers has software (SAM) that improves the drain issue. Could not having an activated T mobile sim card cause the battery to drain?

25. david martin thread starter macrumors member

I did a few test last night, turned off notifications, push and locating option in settings. Still draining.

I've concluded I'm somehow hactivated. I would like to reinstalll the redsnow jailbreak before accepting that I'm stuck with a hactivated phone. I plan to start with a clean slate and restore to a unjailbroken state through itunes using 4.1 ipsw. I will then reinstall redsnow without upgrading baseband since I already did it (AT&T sim will be installed during entire process). I shouldn't run into any errors since I'm still on 4.1, correct?

The first time installing redsnow I did not restore to an unjailbroken state (green poison). It seems a few people are having luck restoring the phone to a clean slate before jailbreaking with redsnow. Although I've come across nothing definitive, except hactivation causes excessive battery drain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated