4.1, still bad texting :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mBox, Sep 12, 2010.

1. mBox macrumors 68020

Running iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4. Even after update texting is brutal.
    Am I the only one?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How is it bad. Hitting wrong letters, auto correct doesn't work, slow to send. A little more detail other than texting is brutal so we can better help you.

3. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

texting is fine for me O_O", my only gripe is that sometime it will press return for me for no reason at all haha.

4. toss002 macrumors regular

Mine's great too...

The only complaint I may have is that the 'send' button should be relocated, because I can accidentally hit it.

5. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I've noticed myself that I'm hitting send prematurely quite often lately. weird.

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I think the OP is talking about the lag present when sending massive blocks of text via the Message app. I just don't understand why you would be sending massive blocks of text through an SMS in the first place.

7. Acronym macrumors 68000

agreed, the send button is too sensitive, or move it away from the letters I, O, and P.

8. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Nope not about sending massive blocks of text. Sometimes the send is a bit quick but my last 3G was the same.
    Im talking the simplest words and the feel of it all. No where near my 3G.
    I just find it odd and was hoping 4.1 was the fix. It seemed to fix my battery issue and of course proximity.
    If I do simple text e.g Where is this place?
    The word "this" would take me two to three tries to correct.
    I even get the red underline on the oddest simple words like "miss" "that" "our".
    You get the pic.
    I thought maybe the phones so fast that Im not experience enough to type on it.
    But even at slow typing speed I get typos, red-underline and the occasion wrong suggestions.
    Im in Canada, maybe I didnt get a bi-lingual phone ;)

9. macjock macrumors regular

Ditto, something that didn't used to be a problem for me but has became so over the last few months. :confused:

10. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

You have the right language setting? Im in Canada too and it doesnt highlight those words...

11. Trat macrumors regular

You do know that the texting algorithms of al iPhones (4, 3GS, 3G) are the same thing, right?

12. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

I don't know about this. On my 3GS, I could type "welll" and it would autocorrect to "we'll", but it doesn't work on the 4.

13. Adisah macrumors regular

Maybe it's a bug. I guess a restore would help, sans the restore from backup as that would just re-write the corrupted OS back onto your phone.

14. King Luis macrumors 6502

i'm in toronto, i noticed the screen on the ip4 is a bit more sensitive than the 3g i had.
    but i guess it's just getting used to.

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

been wishing for this change to occur since 2007

16. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

hahaha maybe its the retinal display.
    It now senses my calloused fingers :p
    Damn GHS Boomers :)

17. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

After updating my 3GS to 4.0 (apart from all the other issues iOS 4.0 has caused), texting lags. My typing is faster than the phone when displaying. A number of people on the Apple Discussion Forum has complained about this. Apparently, 4.1 hasn't fixed it for the 3GS. But some have claimed that their 3G is working faster now.

Yes, I also agree that the send button should be further away from the I O and P buttons, or at least make it less sensitive. I've done the premature send a number of times. But interestingly enough, NEVER had this issue with iOS 3.1.x.

18. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Ive had many troubles texting the gf. that stupid send button got me in so much crap :p

19. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Maybe you guys just suck at texting lol :D jk

I never had any problems on my 3GS. Sometimes I hit Send but that's different.

20. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Ill be honest with you, I thought that too. But Ive been using my 3G for over 2 years and I know what Im experiencing with the 4. Were talking slow and methodical typing here and I still manage to fumble :p

21. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

I have to say i agree OP.

texting on OS 3.x i had absolutely no problems, however as soon as 4.0 came along im getting words that are being autocorrected to different words more often than not. I also find i am hitting the wrong button more often than not, but maybe my fingers are getting fatter i dont know.

Its definitely worse on 4.0 and above.

22. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Is it possible that this is only the case on an iPhone 3G w/ 4.1 and not a 3GS or iP4?

23. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

I'm not running 4.1 yet, but I have noticed that since upgrading to 4.0 all text input seems to be worse.

I've noticed a trend though, it is only bad when many apps are running in multitasking mode. I'm on a 3GS and its jailbroken, so I can see how much RAM I have left, and iOS lets it go down to about 13MB before closing an app in multitasking. This really slows down my keyboard input and i find it slightly laggy and increasingly frustrating to type! I know the iPhone 4 has twice the RAM, but i'm presuming iOS will still let it get right down to about 13MB before closing some apps.

Whether this is responsible for the phone autocorrecting words before i've finished typing them, I'm not quite sure. But what I do know, is that if I remove all background apps, and free up a load of memory, I have no problems again!

Something for you guys to try maybe?

Hope this helps!
    Sam

24. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I find myself hitting 'n' rather than space all the time. Never had an issue on my old phone / software.