4.2.1 restore without bb? i'm stuck!!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dave22r, Mar 13, 2011.

1. dave22r macrumors member

i kinda asked this a while ago but saw some other stuff since then...
    i have a 3gs that was jb on 3.1.3 and 5.12.01. the only blobs i have saved are 4.2.1. when i bought it the old owner hit the master reset switch and it needs a restore to operate. tinyumbrella recognizes it as 3.1.3 and 5.12.01 and itunes just wants to restore it.

will pwnage tool or anything else restore it without updating the bb?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Pwnage will create a firmware without the baseband update. However, if the baseband was already updated to the latest, not much you can do about it.

3. dave22r thread starter macrumors member

bb is 5.12 which is very unlockable. will it work with 4.2.1? i don't want to restore to the custom firmware and have it mess up the mess i already have. i'd like to unlock this thing just not sure if/how it's going to happen.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes. You can upgrade to 4.2.1 using PwnageTool and still retain your baseband to unlock.

5. dave22r thread starter macrumors member

ok, going to give it a shot... time to put the kids in the bath then it's game time!

6. dave22r thread starter macrumors member

holy crap i love you guys!!! 4.2.1 and 5.12.01!!!
    yay!

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I am not nor did I imply your baseband is not unlockable. I just said, if the baseband gets updated then, it is not doable.

8. dave22r thread starter macrumors member

i wasn't doubting you, just restating the obvious in relation to the firmware.

9. mokeiko macrumors 6502

dave22r,

Did you use iclarified's website for the instructions? I have two (2) 3gs with modem firmware 05.12.01 with version 4.0 (8A293). I would also like to update them to 4.2.1 but not sure exactly what to do. Thanks for any help.

mokeiko

10. dave22r thread starter macrumors member

i used pwnage tool 4.2 and it worked like a champ. i had to go to expert mode to find the 4.2.1 ipsw since it didn't find it automatically and it was cruise control from there.

11. mokeiko macrumors 6502

I tried using pwnage tool 4.2 and was able to jailbreak it only. Cydia crashes. Even after trying to create a new ipsw 6 or 7 times through pwnage tool, cydia crashes when I try to launch it. I need to access ultrasn0w to unlock my 3gs but I can't.

Did you check mark the "Activate phone"? Also, did you check mark cydia among the choices of other apps or did you not check anything at all and just click on build? I think cydia is installed by default when you click build but not really sure. I did the former and that may be the reason for cydia crashing.

mokeikio

12. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you're not on an official carrier, choose activate. Cydia is crashing because you chose it to install in the Cydia settings. Make sure you have the one in custom settings checked. Not both.

13. mokeiko macrumors 6502

I feel like an idiot for having checked both. All is good now. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

mokeiko