4.3.3 choppy!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMike97, May 26, 2011.

1. iMike97 macrumors member

Is any one elses iPhone 4 choppy after running iOS 4.3.3?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Did you restore from back-up or did you do the whole "Set iPhone as new"?

Remember, the iPhone OS works best if you always start from scratch.

3. forcetactic macrumors 6502

4.3.3 is a bit choppy for everyone. There's a way by removing 2 lines or so of code if you're jb that gets rid of this choppiness

4. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

details?

5. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I really wish people would stop the pedantic replies that fall in line with Apple helpdesk nonsense, ie: "Restore" or "Close Apps in the app switcher" or "Reset your phone".

iOS 4.3.3 is choppy and it's nothing to do with apps running in the background or needing to reset the phone or having to restore.

A fresh install of iOS 4.3.3 is choppy, nothing opened, nothing synced. Just opening Safari or Settings can show random stutters in the animations. The thing about the "reset your phone" comments is that when I was on 4.0 and 4.1, I never reset my phone unless the battery ran out completely. I never had to close apps from the multi-tasking bar, I just let the phone run and it never skipped a beat.

4.3.3 is rotten, it's absolute crud, which is why I jailbroke and used the tweak mentioned in the animations thread.

6. pintnight macrumors 6502

No choppy for me with 4.3.3 and I'm jailbroken and I also did not used the tweak mentioned in the animations thread.

7. haulis macrumors regular

I have a hard time believing this. Could it be that you are just used to it? There is obviously a clear difference between 4.3.x and previous firmwares in terms of smoothness.

8. pintnight macrumors 6502

Everything is smooth for me.

9. pintnight macrumors 6502

Just to see I can see any differences, I made the tweak in the animation thread, respring and still couldn't see any choppy starting the apps.

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

The tweak fixes the choppiness.....

And its definitely there, you probably just arent that observant. Take the tweak out and watch closely as you open and close apps. Especially 3rd party apps. is the zoom in zoom out animation completely butter smooth? Or does it stutter?

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Well I've been using unjailbroken and have ZERO (0, none, nadda, zip, etc, rinse, repeat) choppiness whatsoever. So maybe its not the OS, but maybe your phone.

12. haulis macrumors regular

Reboot your phone and open a 3rd party application for the first time. Missing it's start up animation? Yeah I thought so...

13. bigsexyy81, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Same here. I DID just get a new replacement from the Apple Store for a stuck power button a week ago. It had 4.3.2 on it when I started using it and ran like garbage, so I figured I would try 4.3.3 and see.

I've got 4.3.3 jb with RedSnow running like a champ. No choppy here. I'd happily complain here if I were having any problems, but it's good to go.

Lol.

Or maybe he really just doesn't have the unfortunate issue you and many other people are having.

It did for the first app I opened. Then every one after that had the animation.

So I only have to worry about it after a reboot and for the first app I open. I can live with that.

14. haulis, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

haulis macrumors regular

15. haulis macrumors regular

It's not just for the first app, it's every third party app that is first opened. Even after the initial opening of an app the fluidity is not the same. There is choppiness. I actually just restored, setup as new and have only apps installed and it is still choppy in comparison to previous firmwares.

16. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

stupid post is stupid.

if he cant see any issue, whats the problem? just because your phone has it doesnt mean everyone elses does. are you OCD or something?

for the record i dont have the issue either ;).

17. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Ok, first off it's not my iPhone 4, since I've done the following:

Restored as new, Restored from DFU, and even had the iPhone replaced at the Genius Bar.

Now, I've no idea of your ownership history when it comes to your iPhone, which version you have, how long you've owned it, or what previous versions of iOS you've used on the same device.

Anyone upgrading from an iPhone 3G, for example (not saying that's you), will think iOS 4.3.3 on the iPhone 4 is phenomenal because their previous experience on 4.0 - 4.2.1 was absolute hell.

For an iPhone 4 owner from launch, like myself, who's used 4.0 all the way through to 4.3.3 (and again, you could be the same, I can't assume anything), there is a clear difference in the performance from 4.0/4.1 to 4.2.1 and now onto 4.3 and it's incremental updates.

On a clean install, 4.3.3 is great. All the stock apps open as they should, nice launch transition animation, nothing choppy in the frame rate. Sync your iPhone 4 and load some third party apps onto it, and then you begin to see the problem. Now, keep in mind I'm not ranting here to prove a point or score kudos, I'm merely stating the experience I've had on TWO iPhone 4's and also in the Glasgow Apple Store display phones.

Apps ranging from Facebook to Engadget to Sky News to Sky Sports to TUAW to games like Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2, and in fact every single game I synced to my iPhone 4, do not run the launch animation. I could list all of the 200+ third party apps in my iTunes library and easily claim that NONE of them display the launch animation first time of asking.

You simply press the icon, it dulls, and app pops on screen ... whereas the stock apps behave as they always have. Sure, once an app has been loaded into memory, you can quit to the home screen, launch it, and get the full animation you would expect, but on first run it simply does not happen.

And, from time to time, you witness the occasional stutter in animations when launching Safari or Messages (from my own experience). It's minimal, it's over quickly, but it annoys the hell out of me because it detracts from the fluid user interface Apple is so infamously proud of having in iOS.

I notice it more because I'm used to 4.0 all the way through, although I will say that 4.3.3 is far less choppy than 4.3.2, 4.3.1, and 4.3 ... but I just cannot help but think either a) Apple have not told developers about the change in code and as such haven't optimised their apps accordingly, or b) it's a bug because Apple's own stock apps don't skip the launch animations.

18. WeegieMac, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011

WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

And just because your phone doesn't have it, doesn't mean no-one else's doesn't. This problem is being reported widespread across other forums and Apple's own discussion forums.

Although anyone who says all their third party apps synced from iTunes display the full launch animation the first time an app is run, is lying. And that's fact. You press an icon, it dulls, then the app pops on screen. That wasn't the case prior to 4.3, where all apps opened the same (ie: the way Apple's stock apps do on 4.3 despite the code change).

19. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Ive had 5 iPhone 4's during the last year excluding 2 replacements. I bought 2 black ones during the launch and both are choppy. Also had 3 white ones for the family and all 3 have the same level of choppiness.

Ive setup all as new phones and havent loaded any apps on and they all exhibit the same behavior. Im not talking about the opening animation, but sometimes the animations are jerky and are clearly skipping frames. Even when you slide to open sometimes the apps smoothly move into place while at other times they move every other frame (not that slow, but you get my point). Its tough to recreate and it happens on different times on all phones, but it is there.

If people dont see it then thats great for them. I wish I didnt see it on any of my family's phones either :)

20. rajjkamal macrumors newbie

I agree. iOS 4.3.3 is NOT choppy.

Try using Symbian OS, you'll understand the real meaning of 'choppy and laggy'.

21. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

And you should try using 4.0 or 4.1 then going to 4.3 ... then you'd understand what we're talking about.

This isn't made up.

This isn't our devices fault.

This isn't "OCD".

iOS 4.3 is not as fluid as it's predecessors on the iPhone 4.

22. haulis macrumors regular

This isn't about iOS 4.3.x vs. other phone platforms, its about iOS 4.3.x vs. previous iOS versions.

23. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Works fine. But thanks for playing. And besides, when I open up an application I'm opening it up to use it. Not to be amazed by any start up animation in which I'll never do anything with. Maybe its a pet peeve of yours, I never regard it one way or the other.
    But so far, my phone works fine.

24. haulis macrumors regular

No thank you, I'm happy that you do not care that missing animations and choppy performance are present, but that isn't what this thread is about. It's the fact that they are missing and it is choppy in comparison to previous versions. Apple has gone backwards in terms of UX; either on purpose or by mistake and it may only be noticeable or cared about by certain people, many of whom are on this message board and others.

This is a discussion and not a threat to your device; if you're happy with it that is fine, but just because someone else isn't doesn't mean it is irrelevant.