4-6 weeks for a 2011 imac with SSD? worth the wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tafb, May 3, 2011.

  1. tafb macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2007
    Ugh. I was looking forward to the refresh and thinking about the SSD option...but 4-6 weeks is a loooooong time to wait. Was that the standard wait time for a CTO imac with an SSD prior to the refresh? Maybe the SSDs will be 6G and they are limited in quantity still?

    Is the SSD option worth the wait? I do a lot of raw photo and HD video editing.
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    "Worth the wait" is not something anyone but yourself can answer. If you need a new computer NOW, it's probably not worth it. You should be able to make this decision for yourself.
  3. Orme macrumors member

    May 1, 2011
    I know right! ARGH!! :mad::mad:

    Will they have them in store, maybe? :confused::confused:
  4. admanimal macrumors 68040

    Apr 22, 2005
    I really wanted one with an SSD...I wonder if the BTO time is an overestimate.
  5. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

    May 19, 2010
    I have the same dilemma. And everyone who claims "Only you can decide", please just don't post and spare us.

    The relevant factors are:
    - SSD is freakin' expensive (500 euros in the Netherlands)
    - It changes the shipping date to 4-6 weeks.
    - It's very much desired.
    - It can also be done by yourself, instead of buying Apple's SSD.

    Considering these factors, what does everyone else think?
  6. Jazwire macrumors 6502a


    Jun 20, 2009
    In the same boat, I was getting ready to order a completely decked out 27" till I saw 4-6 weeks.

    Now Im not sure, maybe ill just put in my own. Patience isn't one of my strong points.

    What I dont understand is, yesterday if you ordered the previous model with a SSD it wasn't 4-6 weeks.
  7. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    I think that if you want it that much, you should be able to wait for it. But on the other hand if you don't want to wait, perhaps you should just go ahead and forego the SSD.

    Revelations are free of charge, btw. You're welcome!
  8. theSeb macrumors 604


    Aug 10, 2010
    Poole, England
    I wonder if the 4-6 week wait for SSD is because they're planning to put in the z68 chipset?
  9. admanimal macrumors 68040

    Apr 22, 2005
    I might wait until 10 when my local Apple Store opens and see if they happen to have any "ultra" models that are all maxed out in stock, which they sometimes do. I wouldn't be crazy about potentially paying the Apple price for 16GB of RAM, but I can live with it if it gets me the SSD today.
  10. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

    May 19, 2010
    You can't ignore the other factors. It's freaking expensive, and the wait is just that other negative push that makes me doubt. Also, if I buy a non-Apple SSD and install it myself, I can get a cheaper AND better one. Except there the rub is that I will have to install it myself.
  11. seanwes macrumors newbie

    Dec 18, 2008
    Called and they said no. SSD isn't a "standard option" he said, so they wouldn't have any in the store.
  12. philipma1957 macrumors 603


    Apr 13, 2010
    Howell, New Jersey
    wait before you order any imac at all. here is my logic. t-bolt will have raid 0 and raid1 enclosures in june. 4 to 6 weeks is june.

    the 27 inch i-5 with the better graphics is 2100 the i5 with the better graphics and ssd is 2500.

    if you wait until june and buy a refurb you will save more. then just add the lacie external raid and the machine will be faster have more storage. and cost about the same.
    even if new 2011 refurbs are not out lion and the student discount free ipod may be out.

    now if you need gear right now ignore all of the above.
  13. qap macrumors 6502


    Mar 29, 2011
    Udine, Italy
    +1, where's the WC in this boat? :D

    An important answer: the SSD is the same as the old SSD (Toshiba) or are new units (maybe Samsung)?

Share This Page