Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
You mean fused to the lcd and digitizer (as almost every iPhone has been) or are you saying it looks like the entire display assembly will be glued into the body itself?

If the latter, what makes you say that? :confused:

Yes, the latter. If you look at the current display glass on the 5S it has a small band surrounding the entire display and the entire display is ever so slightly raised above the the chamfered edges of the frame.

If you look closely at these new images there is a slight recess for the new display assembly to rest inside of the frame and form a smooth transition from the edge of the display to the frame. To my eye, the only way to secure it is with adhesive on the flat sections just below the small recess all the way around the frame.

If you've ever taken apart an iPhone 4 or 5, when you remove the 2 bottom screws the back of the phone then slides upward ever so slightly so you can remove the back. This new frame is all one piece (no back to remove).

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah I'm absurdly OCD. And I've typically found that while it may not entirely hinder your resale value, it lowers your pool of prospective buyers significantly. When I'm trying to unload a device, I usually want as many bids from as many people (high and low) just for variety.

I'm also ridiculously OCD when it comes to my phone which is why I don't use/need a case/protector. After a year of use, when it's time to get the next phone, my previous device looks like it did the day it came out of the box (with one exception, my 3GS, but a case wouldn't have helped that one -- it went through the laundry cycle. oops).

• My front left pocket is dedicated solely for my phone. No keys, change, receipts, rubber bands, headphones, anything allowed in there. Only the phone.
  • I never set it directly on a hard surface. Ever. This includes when going to bed, in the car, the kitchen, and so on.
  • I don't let go of it when I'm holding it (i.e. I don't drop it).

In other words, I treat it like the high precision piece of engineering that it is so I can enjoy the feel of it in my hands. Putting a case on one of these things is like buying a Ferrari F430 but only driving it with a car cover on (hopefully with window cut-outs).

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I don't understand why everyone is complaining about those antenna lines. I mean the back of the iPhone 5/5S with it's random glass pieces looks even worse imo. This looks more subtle to me

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yes, the latter. If you look at the current display glass on the 5S it has a small band surrounding the entire display and the entire display is ever so slightly raised above the the chamfered edges of the frame.

If you look closely at these new images there is a slight recess for the new display assembly to rest inside of the frame and form a smooth transition from the edge of the display to the frame. To my eye, the only way to secure it is with adhesive on the flat sections just below the small recess all the way around the frame.

If you've ever taken apart an iPhone 4 or 5, when you remove the 2 bottom screws the back of the phone then slides upward ever so slightly so you can remove the back. This new frame is all one piece (no back to remove).

I guess I'm not seeing it. The iPhone 5 & 5s both have tabs along the side of the screen that gently clip it into place in the corresponding grooves once the two bottom screws are removed:
liGxTLGCNPv2XIMO.huge

The "leak" photos have plenty of those corresponding grooves (carefully run your eye around the inner shell) running around the perimeter. I'd wager we're looking at a similar assembly/disassembly process for the screen as the 5/5s, but the band may now be irrelevant if the Sapphire rumors are true.

feldvolk_iphone_6_shell_interior.jpg

The best way I have to point it out (I don't have the ability to markup the picture) is to look between the "L" and "D" on the watermark, you'll see those grooves throughout the perimeter.

This is fun. :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm wondering if the apple logo cutout is for light, like what they do with laptops. Just a thought

Every year since the 5 people have said the same thing, it's not. Look at the black photos.

For what they do with laptops, that would mean the screen would have to extend to the back of the phone, with no room for the battery of MoBo, as the laptops are simply a window into the backlight of the screen.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I'm also ridiculously OCD when it comes to my phone which is why I don't use/need a case/protector. After a year of use, when it's time to get the next phone, my previous device looks like it did the day it came out of the box (with one exception, my 3GS, but a case wouldn't have helped that one -- it went through the laundry cycle. oops).

• My front left pocket is dedicated solely for my phone. No keys, change, receipts, rubber bands, headphones, anything allowed in there. Only the phone.
  • I never set it directly on a hard surface. Ever. This includes when going to bed, in the car, the kitchen, and so on.
  • I don't let go of it when I'm holding it (i.e. I don't drop it).

In other words, I treat it like the high precision piece of engineering that it is so I can enjoy the feel of it in my hands. Putting a case on one of these things is like buying a Ferrari F430 but only driving it with a car cover on (hopefully with window cut-outs).

I think you need to live a little mate-being that OTT with a phone can't be good for your health..... :D

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Don't they usually coat the exterior? I imagine that a coating might making the bands not as visible.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Every year since the 5 people have said the same thing, it's not. Look at the black photos.

For what they do with laptops, that would mean the screen would have to extend to the back of the phone, with no room for the battery of MoBo, as the laptops are simply a window into the backlight of the screen.

I was just posting, Im not trying to say it will be, just said I wondered, apple could do it differently than they do it with the mac, just a little pice of plastic and a couple LED's but no it probably won't be :)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I was just posting, Im not trying to say it will be, just said I wondered, apple could do it differently than they do it with the mac, just a little pice of plastic and a couple LED's but no it probably won't be :)

Don't get me wrong, I think from a marketing and branding side of things it'd be brilliant (I'd love it actually).

But from a functionality and size constraint standpoint, it's a complete waste. Imagine the tiny ribbon cables that would need to be sandwiched in behind the battery and snaked around the inside (take a look at home button assemblies, friggin nightmare) to the MoBo. Way more headaches than it's worth, though it would be cool as hell.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I totally agree. After watching the sapphire front panel video considering the possibility of not needing a screen protector...I'm definitely tempted.

I don't use a screen protector on my iPhone 5. My screen has gone unprotected in my pocket with keys, drops, etc.My iPhone has a relatively thin hard case. It has survived long drops with no issues. Not a scratch.

Modern smartphones are much tougher than people think. Things like Otterbox cases and screen protectors are completely pointless, just a way to make money off paranoid people.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Does anyone remember when we started seeing the rumours for the 5C last year? I can't remember if they were the same time as the mock-ups for the gold phone or not.

But yeah, I am starting to think the 5.5 is either tightly under wraps, delayed or won't come out.

I don't use a screen protector on my iPhone 5. My screen has gone unprotected in my pocket with keys, drops, etc.My iPhone has a relatively thin hard case. It has survived long drops with no issues. Not a scratch.

Modern smartphones are much tougher than people think. Things like Otterbox cases and screen protectors are completely pointless, just a way to make money off paranoid people.

Eh, my screens didn't get scratches when I had a screen protector, without them I have tiny scratches.

Last edited:

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
This is the same dummy we've been looking at for weeks. My bet is that the apple cutout is a reference for the case makers so they know where to put their cutout on the cases to show the apple logo.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Don't get me wrong, I think from a marketing and branding side of things it'd be brilliant (I'd love it actually).

But from a functionality and size constraint standpoint, it's a complete waste. Imagine the tiny ribbon cables that would need to be sandwiched in behind the battery and snaked around the inside (take a look at home button assemblies, friggin nightmare) to the MoBo. Way more headaches than it's worth, though it would be cool as hell.

I agree. My opinion is it would look cool, but yes, way more headaches. I would also hate it trying to use it at night or when I'm trying to pretend I'm not using it haha

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
Was hoping there would be front facing speakers when I saw nothing next to the lightning port. But then they said they just weren't cut yet. Boooo. Unless they don't know :)

Also, is it me or is the SIM tray a little....large?

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
Is that why I see many people walking around with no case and shattered screens?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.