Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
So far this is absolutely the best phone I have ever had. Ever. I debated long and hard about waiting for the 2020 and it all came down 5G and finding out our area is still another 2-3 years before wide spread availability. As are most areas.

That being said I got a Midnight Green 256 gig version, With Apple Care+ with Loss and Theft. Also got the Otterbox Symmetry Feeling Rusty case. Bought it from a corporate Verizon store (Verizon customers never go to a reseller ever.) My friend is the store manager.
He grabbed the first one and yes it was completely factory sealed and all but the phone was missing the protection plastic that covers the screen and back. Kinda odd. Well we pull it out and there was a crack or scratch from top to bottom it was so deep we couldn’t tell either way. He said he has seen several in the last month like that. So I am sure Apple will be looking at that.
Well my second was perfect. I brought my laptop with me and we did a full set up from a back up I did that morning, at the store. Made sure everything was exactly how I wanted it and made sure everything functioned right be for I left.
I played with it and messed with it the first day till it was down to 10%. Did a full over night charge. Got 9 hours of use the next day and had it down to 42%. Battery life is awesome. I think 12 hours of hard use is possible. I am a medium user. Mostly social media, 300-450 texts a day, YouTube and phone calls. And a lot of weather data tracking. (National Weather Service tracker)For me 15 hours is a goal.
Screen is beautiful. Crisp clear and great colors.
Speed and power is incredible. My Geekbench Score for Metal is 6524. A bit above average. But no lags no stuttering just smooth Apple Power.
The camera is also an amazing and beautiful thing. Photos are great. It has gotten me back into wanting to go for walks and take photos again.
So far I am at 61 Apps, 1200 songs,a couple of movies and am right at 73 gigs used.
Now it’s only been 4 days but I am very happy. If you can’t tell. I plan on keeping this for at a minimum 2.5 years.

FCFBD87C-8F52-4EC8-96DD-0D790263409D.png

Last edited:

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Congratulations on your purchase. Apple isn't perfect, but they do it right!

36 months is my new upgrade cycle. I could upgrade in 2021 and feel good about it, but I'm shooting for 2022.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I was not so content at first. I found the screen to be very yellow. My first one was swapped out at Apple though because the colors were muted as well. The replacement was still yellow but I used color filters and I'm happy with it now.

I will not be getting the 12. I feel the only difference will be the 5G modem and a slightly faster processor. I want to see how that plays out. So I'll be keeping my 11 Pro Max for a while.

Honestly, the battery life is what makes me feel that this device is worth keeping for a while. 5G is bad on battery, I bought a OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren. Holy crap. Dead battery, overheating, it shut off on day one.

So I returned it.

I will not be an early adopter for 5G on an iPhone.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
i love my 11 PM.. but sometimes it does feel a bit heavy.. still an awesome phone though!
What’s funny is my son has a iPhone 8Plus with a Otterbox Defender case. I weighed my phone and his. Both weighed exactly 8.11 oz. Yes that’s half pound. And no it’s not exactly light but you grow used to it quick. The big difference between them is the balance of the weight. His feels like the weights all on one side. Mine feels centered.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What’s funny is my son has a iPhone 8Plus with a Otterbox Defender case. I weighed my phone and his. Both weighed exactly 8.11 oz. Yes that’s half pound. And no it’s not exactly light but you grow used to it quick. The big difference between them is the balance of the weight. His feels like the weights all on one side. Mine feels centered.

Additionally, OtterBox cases are the heaviest/probably the most ‘weightiest’ cases you can use on the market [They typically have three pieces for the entire construction]. So that’s pretty significant adding to the weight of the iPhone 8 Plus in general.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I just switched back and forth between the Pixel 4 XL and the 11 Pro Max. The iPhone feels twice as heavy but you get used to it quickly. “Weight” will never be a deciding factor for me.

Reactions: AdamNC

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
300-450 texts a day,

that would do me in
[automerge]1580680111[/automerge]
Additionally, OtterBox cases are the heaviest/probably the most ‘weightiest’ cases you can use on the market [They typically have three pieces for the entire construction]. So that’s pretty significant adding to the weight of the iPhone 8 Plus in general.

yeah the defender is heavier than the OB symmetry

Kataran

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2015
RI
My 3 month 11 Pro Max Green 256GB is flawless in every way. I use a minimal case no screen protector and the rumors of an easy scratch able screen is bunked I accidentally put it in a hoodie pocket with my keys while moving boxes to storage and when I got to my car and realized my mistake I thought the worst but not a scratch on her. I was amazed

Like the OP I was gonna wait for the 2020 offerings but I’m glad I got my Pro Max

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
that would do me in
[automerge]1580680111[/automerge]

Most of those are to my mom. She has moderate dementia and other illnesses. So we text a lot of the same things each day. It’s hard but it’s worth it knowing she doesn’t feel so alone.
[automerge]1580690674[/automerge]
I've never had that with any of my iPhones. I even have an old SE (16 GB) that I use as a backup/iPod and it's still on par as when it was new. It also runs the latest iOS version just fine. That's a testament to the iPhone.
Same here. Maybe cause I am a bit OCD with keeping junk off my phone and Every Monday morning I do a soft reset to clear the ram and give my phone a fresh start.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Most of those are to my mom. She has moderate dementia and other illnesses. So we text a lot of the same things each day. It’s hard but it’s worth it knowing she doesn’t feel so alone.

I see, we know all about dementia both my in-laws have it, 90 & 93, horrible disease, they are in a nursing home so getting well looked after, good luck with your mum.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
I see, we know all about dementia both my in-laws have it, 90 & 93, horrible disease, they are in a nursing home so getting well looked after, good luck with your mum.
What’s odd is she can’t remember what time to call, dates, etc. So last month I told I think we should get a simpler phone for you mom (She has a 8 Plus ) she said and I quote. “You take my iPhone and I will stab you in the eye.” I am letting her keep it.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
This is one thing I despise about Xr/11 they're very pudgy in comparison with my Xs Max. With the 11PM having gained some depth, this makes me concerned about future iterations.

The Xs Max size is perfect.
Apparently the 12 Pro Max is going to be taller. Quite off-putting for me as I find the 11PM to be a perfect size but can categorically say I do not want anything larger.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
This is one thing I despise about Xr/11 they're very pudgy in comparison with my Xs Max. With the 11PM having gained some depth, this makes me concerned about future iterations.

The Xs Max size is perfect.

For me the size of the Pro Max is fine, in a perfect world, I'd just like it lighter. I use a case and screen protector on my Pro Max and it feels like a brick in my pockets.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I do not want a lighter device. I'm one of those who experienced a bent iPhone 6. I returned the 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9 because it showed ripples on the screen from slight pressure.

So lighter to me doesn't equate to better at all. I got the XS and the 11, returned them both. They felt like toys. This Pro Max feels sturdy. Durable. It feels just right to me.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I went a week with a XS max before the 11 pro came out to test, sold it used a SE till i got my 11 pro. Perfect size for me.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I do not want a lighter device. I'm one of those who experienced a bent iPhone 6. I returned the 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9 because it showed ripples on the screen from slight pressure.

So lighter to me doesn't equate to better at all. I got the XS and the 11, returned them both. They felt like toys. This Pro Max feels sturdy. Durable. It feels just right to me.
I find that the extra weight adds 'stability' in my hand, it feels like it's not ready to slip or fall becuase I can feel the weight of the device. When it gets lighter this effect is not as strong.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I find that the extra weight adds 'stability' in my hand, it feels like it's not ready to slip or fall becuase I can feel the weight of the device. When it gets lighter this effect is not as strong.
I feel that too. I have small hands but when something is too light, it feels flimsy. So I'm not gripping it as tightly or I'm feeling anxiety about how I'm holding it. With this Pro Max, I have had no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.