4 days with iOS 5 GM was enough *3GS*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trajen, Oct 9, 2011.

1. trajen macrumors 6502a

2. Justim macrumors 6502

More features=more memory used. Simple math really.

The same thing happened with iPhone 3G and iOS 4.0.

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Is it genuinely that bad? I heard it works fine? Anyone else using a 3GS care to comment? I really hope they didn't pull a 3G on us and make it run crap, I still have to use this phone for a bit until I can afford another one.

4. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aw, cute. Go ***** yourself. :)

----------

It ran slower than normal and Safari crashed quite a bit. Also, if I was playing music and received an alert it sometimes would make the music stutter. Opening up the multitasking tray and "closing" apps helped it run better some of the time.

----------

Wow. Gotta love the comment rating system MR implemented. 4 votes down for posting a helpful link? Some of you guys need to grow up.

5. haXis, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

haXis macrumors member

haXis

It's not that bad, but sometimes it can be slow. Especially apps that multitask and haven't been opened for a while. Definitely better than beta 7, though.

Safari crashes when no tab is opened.

Experiencing some battery drain too. After 10 minutes off the charger and 6% gone.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Hmm that sounds a bit crap. Hopefully it works a bit better on final release. I hear even on the iPhone 4 the GM has a couple of issues to do with notifications and stuff, maybe it's related.

Oh and ignore those other guys, at least you replied to me with useful info. Even if you are wrong (not saying you are, but I hope so :p) it's better than what they've contributed.

----------

Grrr. Maybe I'll be able to convince my mom to get me a new phone for xmas if they don't fix the issues. I really hope it gets dealt with though, especially if they are still selling the 3GS.

7. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I experienced the battery drain as well! One odd thing I noticed was that the times for both Usage and Standby were always the same.

8. Justim macrumors 6502

No, it was -3. Now it's -4.

Really, who cares about ratings?

If anything it might say "Maybe that wasn't such a good idea."

Probably the wording of the post.

Most people that need help like that won't look for it. They'll just start a new thread about how their phones broken and they did nothing wrong to make it mad at them.

But it is good to know the 3Gs suffers the same fate as the 3G... I guess..

9. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, hopefully it's just because the GM needs a few more kinks worked out. Thanks! I try not to let negative things like that get to me, especially from faceless Internet people. Just tell her Siri will help you get better grades. ;)

10. rosemary1 macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback on this. I'll hold out on updating my phone and just wait until I get the 4S on Friday to experience iOS 5.

11. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

you know what, now that i think about it, when i upgraded my 3g to 4.0, it did run insanely slow and actually was unbearable...i ended up using an old nokia phone until i was able upgrade to an iPhone 4

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I think I'll hold off updating and tell my brother to wait too, at least until there's some sort of consensus of how it performs.

13. Justim macrumors 6502

Had the same problem with my 4. I just DFU'd it until it decided to behave.

14. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't really care, I just think it's a worthless attribute to the forum. You're right, that's exactly why I posted the links. By this time next week or soon thereafter people are going to do just that.

15. avro707 macrumors 6502a

My experience with iPhone 4 and the GM has been very positive.

iOS 4.3.whatever was never stable for me, no matter what I did, no amount of restores, etc would solve the constant lockups and random restarts, or random doesn't want to turn on.

This new GM is utterly fantastic - it runs fast and it seems to be rock-solid stable. I'm very, very pleased with it. Now my iPhone is working the way it should always have worked.

16. extralarge macrumors member

iPhone 3GS user, remained in os 3.2

I'm not geeker, I don't have too much budget for devices, all I'm saying is I'm fine with my 3gs with system os 3.2. In my opinion, the OS 3X gives 3gs the best. My recommendation is if you really want feel iOS5, go straight to 4s, don't make hard for 3gs after all the fun it gives you.

17. Justim macrumors 6502

Who you telling' 'bout money issues!

Have no income and my bank account is less impressive.

But I am a geeker, and solved our problem:

Today I sold my 32gb 4 to a nice lady for the exact amount of a 32gb 4s upgrade. Actually she suggested we take it to an Apple Store and have it "checked out". (Which was really really smart on her part.) I made an appointment with the Genius Bar and after everything was a go, I bought a gift card for the iPhone.

Out with the old and in with the new.

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This must be your M.O. :)

19. freep macrumors member

There seems to be quite a few different opinions on iOS 5 running on the 3GS. A post in this thread suggests that it runs better than iOS 4. Does anyone else have the GM running on a 3GS?

20. Bartboy919 macrumors member

Bartboy919

Funny how the 4S still has 512 MB of ram then, considering the 4 had the same amount.

21. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I thought this was not confirmed yet. How did u find this out? Source?

22. AdamBoustead macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS Unlock iOS 5 GM

Hi all, didn't mean to hijack this or anything (am new to macrumors) but i needed help on upgrading my iPhone 3GS to the iOS 5gm. Basically we unlocked the phone via apple (legitimately) for something like 10 pounds. I am worried that if i update to the gm, will it affect the unlock AT all?

Thanks

23. Picka macrumors member

The beta iOS5 ran pretty slow on my IP4,including a few crashes now and again, so I can only imagine what it's like on a 3GS.

24. Deamos macrumors member

I already have my iPhone 4S on order, I thought I'd chime in with my experiences with IOS 5 GM on my 3GS.

First, yes..there is the occasional slowdown/freeze once in awhile. However, it isn't really much of a show stopper. I had freezes like this even with IOS 4.

That being said, 95% of the time, my 3GS is highly responsive and runs great. It's just that extra 5% that slows down, and it appears to be when opening things that haven't been opened in awhile.