4" iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steiney, Sep 12, 2014.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Am I the only person in the world who was hoping (praying) that Apple would produce a 4" iPhone 6 along with the 4.7" and 5.5" models that everyone knew were coming?

I think 4" is the perfect size for an iPhone. I have had a Samsung Galaxy S2 in the past (huge mistake!) and one of the many things I grew to hate about the phone was the size. Just a little too big for comfortable one-handed use and that screen was only 4.3".

So, now the smallest iPhone I will be able to get going forward is 4.7", which is much bigger than I want.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that this will occur to Apple in the future and they will start producing a 4" iPhone again, but I'm certainly not holding my breath over it.

P.s. I know iOS 8 will have that one-handed mode where the screen contents get shrunken down, but it's just not the same!

2. marcococo macrumors regular

marcococo

Not gonna happen.

3. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

A boy can dream!

And out of curiosity, do you can to elaborate on your reasoning for such an absolute statement?

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

A 4 inch model would have been nice... but I think the 4.7 will be the best of both worlds and will still fit well in one hand.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm with you, but I'm of the "older" Gen X generation that isn't high on CE firms target demo list. I think Gen X is of the era where smaller is bigger and use to having multiple devices (iPad, iPhone) whereas the millennial gen likes to have one device for everything. So I don't fret about the impossible, just go with the flow. My world won't crack having to carry around a 4.7". I'll get use to it just like I did the 4", and honestly I look at the old 3.5" iPhones and think they look so dated now.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

7. davefromca macrumors 6502

At first I was kind of upset the smallest screen you could get was 4.7" but im over it now. But ya some of these smart phones are so huge, I see people trying to pull these things out of their pockets and it looks like they are trying to remove a flat screen tv.

8. samg77 macrumors member

the iPhone 5 vs 6 cpu isnt that big of a jump. If they did make one upgrading from a 5s to a 6 wouldn't be worth the money. Who knows what they will do once the 5s is too old to sell. They may make a 6c/7c with a 4" screen. Remember they made the 5c as an entry level, and they may continue with that strategy having the 4" size as there entry level. But I feel you as wanting a 4" with flagship specs.

9. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

The 5s is still very capable, no need for another 6.

10. Branskins macrumors 65816

The CPU from the 5 to the 6 is a HUGE jump! Just because the clock might be similar doesn't mean it has huge improvements elsewhere :)

11. malevolant macrumors 6502

This ^^

The 5s is essentially the 4" iPhone 6. While it does not have the internals of the 6 it is still a phenomenal phone.

12. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

yeah, until iOS 9 or so which will make it excruciating to use like iOS 7 is to the iPhone 4...

I'm not saying you're wrong. Heck, I have an iPhone 5 and debated whether to upgrade or not. My wife has a 5s and doesn't care about getting the new one (yet... we'll see what she says when she sees it)... and I'm not saying that it's "planned obsolescence on Apples part either... it's just how it goes.

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

The iPhone 6 looks pretty close in size to the iPhone 5/5s

14. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

I'm surprised these posts come up, as the 4.7" isn't much larger than the 4" iPhones. A little taller and slightly wider. When I laid my 5S over the 4.7" cutout, I couldn't justify not going onward to the 5.5".

That said, I think Apple will introduce a 6C next year that is 4", if they feel enough demand exists for that form factor. I'd bet 5C styling (as colors are surprisingly popular) with 6 internals or similar. I'd be surprised if we see a 4" flagship again.

15. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

4s on 7 and especially 5 on 8 disprove that theory. The 5s has untapped potential on iOS 7.

16. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

I still prefer the 4", but the 4.7" is fine. Apple really should have shrunk the shell. The LG G3 fits a 5.5" screen in about same size.

The only thing it's missing is a second speaker on top...stereo baby! ;)

17. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

You're right... the 4s on iOS 7 disproves the theory that the iPhone 4 runs iOS 7 like crap.

Good work, scientist.

18. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

19. dojoman macrumors 65816

I just printed out 4.7" and 5.5" from PDF. 4.7" isn't as big as you think. It looks quite small and almost the same width as 5S if you don't have them side by side. 5.5" is ridiculously big. I would say 4.7" is a good trade off if you don't want a huge screen but similar body as 5s.

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Go play with a Samsung S3 somewhere. You will not find that ginormous and the iPhone 6 is about that height and width and even thinner.

21. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

It disproves that the 5s will be slow on iOS 9. Don't be difficult.

22. maybeiloveyou macrumors member

Agree with this for the most part. As part of the millennial generation, that is. I don't want an iPhone iPod iPad Macbook Pro etc. iPhone + laptop is all I need and I'm waiting for the day I can consolidate it into one lol.

23. LostMyiPhone macrumors 6502

Anecdotal evidence does not disprove anything that has not come to fruition yet.

I will give you this: It seems the improvements of existing hardware for each iteration of iPhone is beginning to plateau. Therefore, it would make logical sense that the OS's won't be *as* dramatically handicapped on older hardware. I think we'll be more likely to simply see missing functions due to lack of new hardware (chipsets and sensors) in the older iPhones. For example, I believe iOS 7 runs poorly on the iPhone 4. Again, I'll give you that iOS 9 probably won't run *as* poorly on the 5s, but iOS 9 may include some piece of functionality that depends on something (like an NFC chip) that does not exist on the iPhone 5s. So instead of just "poor performance" of a newer OS on older hardware, we'll start seeing "acceptable performance" but obvious missing features due to missing hardware.

Did you get an iPhone 6 or 6 plus preordered? Are you excited?!?! Happy weekend, friend!

24. cynics macrumors G4

The 4S is "ok" ish if you turn off transparency effects and other features it's my primary device. I'd say using the 4S on iOS 7 as an example of how well iOS works on older devices is a poor choice.

25. casmith07 macrumors member

They did - it's called an iPhone 5S ;):p