4 Months later: Still use Voice Control?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rusty2192, Oct 22, 2009.

?

Still use Voice Control?

1. All the Time

25 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Occasionally

53 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. Never

89 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

So, it's been about 4 months since the iPhone 3Gs came out. I didn't feel like digging through my contacts the other night so I decided to use the voice control to call my brother. Of course, it didn't work right after a few tries and I ended up just doing it the old fashioned way.

That got me thinking. I used the voice control a fair amount when I first got my 3Gs, but the novelty has since worn off and it's been months since I used it last. How about everyone else. Is Voice Control actually a useful tool for you, or just a gimmick that's novelty wears off fairly quickly?

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

3. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I forget about it and only use it occasionally. But I have to say that I am very impressed with its accuracy. I've done it with a lot of names in my phone book and it got them all right on the first try, including "Felicia".

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

5. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

I use it a lot. It's very useful when driving!

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I never really wanted it in the first place, so no. Never used it on any other phone I had except for trying it out.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Used it a couple times to try it out. It was accurate enough but I haven't needed it since.

It's cool that it's there if I ever need it but I don't use it.

8. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I use mine whenever I am making a call from the road. I have found it to be very accurate and useful.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I use it mostly at home, both directly to the iPhone and through the BT headset. It's been surprisingly accurate.

10. aluren macrumors 65816

I occasionally use it whenever I have my headphones on and my iPhone is in my pocket or driving. I have never used it if I'm holding the iPhone.

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

12. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I'm surprised it understood "Queensrÿche", although it did pronounce the "ch" incorrectly.

13. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I'm impressed with the controls. I sometimes use it when I am working out -- and I always use it when I'm driving. I'm glad 3.1 added voice control over bluetooth.

14. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

15. Doju macrumors 68000

Tons, actually. And the accuracy is spot-on for me. (Canadian)

My uses are quite frequent, if random. Most recent was when I was biking home from work and I wanted to play a song, but my iPhone was in my pocket, but my headphones were in. Held down pause, said "Shuffle songs" and I was off. :)

A lot of uses are like that. Very difficult to fish out iPod player/inconvenient.

Others are I'm in my car and I just hold down the button, etc.

Offtopic: Anyone know how to use Backgrounder in conjunction with it easily? It always makes the app I'm using run in the background if I hold it down, very annoying to have to go to the homescreen any time I want to use it. :(

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've started using it more, recently. Not allt he time, but it's useful every once in a while.

17. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I used it once. It dialed the wrong number. :eek:

Never again. :(

18. xanatos macrumors regular

I use it while driving since you cannot do that in cali anymore. So that helps. but the rest commands never work. THe real question is does anyone use spotlight . I never ever do.

19. nippyjun macrumors 65816

20. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Only used it a couple of times to make phone calls. Never used it for any iPod functions. Works fine for me, but I put everyone's last names in my phonebook to help the process :)

21. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I'm surprised so many people have had bad results with it. I use it constantly. Works really well for me, especially with my BT headset. I love the fact that I can make and receive calls without having to even take the phone out of my pocket, particularly when I'm driving.

22. Scallywag macrumors regular

No, and I wish I could just turn it off. The lag/slight hang I see when I accidentally go to the spotlight screen drives me nuts.

23. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Hardly. Maybe just twice since I bought my 3GS.

24. Acronym macrumors 68000

i use VC lots, if i am at work or diving i use my in ear apple buds to call people or play a certain artist of music. far more time efficien then pulling my iphone out of my pocket swiching then putting it back.

25. vlinkz macrumors regular

I don't use it much but when I did it was 100% accurate at recognising my RP "British" accent. Good news, eh chaps?