4 months of the mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by viconi, Mar 15, 2008.

1. viconi macrumors newbie

After my wife convinced me to buy her a iMac for Christmas an Apple product entered my house, now they are multiplying. After seeing how easy it was to use for just about everything including windows I bought a MacBook yesterday and I am thrilled. What a great machine, though I am in the honeymoon phase, back to my mac, the way everything works with my time capsule, this is the way computing should be. It just works.

Before Dec 07 no apple

March 15th; 20in iMac alum, 2.2 MacBook White, 500g time capsule, 80 gig ipod classic, 8 gig nano black

Future: two 3g iPhones

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

It's kind of scary how you get sucked in once you have your first one!! Glad you are enjoying your new machines!

4. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Once you get one, you can't go back...they're just better, period.

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

They seem to breed ..... :cool:

Last count here the total was 4 .. :eek:
    (Mac Pro, Mini and 2 Mac Books)

6. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Haha. Good to hear it!

I've got an Aluminium iMac (first Mac! woo!) and iPod Shuffle but I want more. It's the Apple bug, unfortunately! haha! iPod Touch, Time Capsule... etc. etc. xD

Well I hope your Apple life continues happily :)

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yes this affliction is spreading at our house too. iPods, iphone, iMac, MacBook Pro, soon an AppleTV and likely a Mac Pro this year.

There seems to be no known cure :)

8. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

ditto

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Once you go Mac, you never go Bac.

10. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

It's true, the way that an Apple computer can change your computing experience is just astounding. I had been a PC user for the last 15 years, but for the past 3 or 4 years I've wanted to purchase an Apple computer just so I could see what things were like on the 'other side' and find out what all the buzz was about.

I finally purchased a MacBook Pro in January and I haven't looked back since, I love how everything "just works", they really weren't kidding when that catchphrase was coined. It's the best computer I've ever owned and I think it was well worth the money that I paid for it, and it certainly won't be the last Apple product that I purchase. :apple:

11. mstrmac macrumors member

mstrmac

12. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I purchased my MacBook Pro almost a year and a half ago and I can say that it has been (hands down) the best purchase I have ever made... I am extremely satisfied, even after 15 months, which is amazing considering I usually switch machines every 8-10 months.

Mine are multiplying as well... I now own an iMac g3, a current gen nano and I will purchase iPhone rev 2 when it is released... I also hope to get a current gen iMac by the end of the summer.

This brings up something that I was thinking about recently.. I don't know anyone who has made the switch who does not love their Mac. In fact, most people I know treat their macbooks like a member of the family (I'm not sure if this is cute or sad). This says something about the quality of the hardware and the quality of OSX.

I hope that Mac's don't get too much more popular or we will start to have bigger problems (malware, etc*).

13. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I doubt we'll get much malware. The reason why Windows does is because it doesn't have the proper foundation. Unlike OS X, there is no password to access the core files of the operating system, and so on.
    Plus there are people devoting their lives to make Malware for Mac, and they've been doing it for years - each one claiming that they've made the first OS X virus... then Apple comes along with a patch and it shuts them up.
    The only thing Apple can't prevent is user stupidity... but you shouldn't download things from weird, untrusted websites.

14. Photorebel macrumors newbie

A similar experience with me, a long time pc user, who was interested in Macs. The ipod is what really got me interested. It was so easy to use. So I bought a Power Mac G5 (right before the intel Macs were announced), then in the last 6 months, a macbook for my daughter, and this last week, an iMac for the family.

I agree 100% with the statement, everything works. I've bought new PCs, done all the installations, putting in drivers...etc..and still it didn't always work.
    With the iMac...it's by far the simplest computer setup I've ever done.

15. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I wouldn't be so sure, anything can be hacked,.. even OSX / UNIX.. as Apple gains marketshare, more and more people will be working on this. We will probably see it with iPhone before we see it on the Mac.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am in the same boat. I have been wanting a Mac for a very long time. Well I finally got my Mac Pro and I freaking love it. Funny thing is the wife sat down and started to play on it and she really, I mean really liked it. So we are not going to get her a Mac Mini. She already has a good 21inch screen so no need for the iMac.

Well here is our break down now:

1 Mac Pro
    4 iPods (80gig, 30gig, 2-2gig shuffles)
    1 iPhone (8gig) soon to be two, she wants one now too

1 Mac Mini soon to be....

17. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

My first Apple product was a Shuffle back in early 2007, and now in early 2008 I have my first Mac (Pro, see sig), and I would never go back to Windows after having used OS X for the past 1.5 months.

I think I have my sister and mom converted as well - they'll likely be getting macbooks or my sis might get an iMac. My brother started on Macs back in the 80's, but switched over to PC because, well, he had to - he had to use the DOS programs of the day, and he just stayed with it since then.

Now that I have a Mac though, he's looking into switching back, which is good :)

Mac is just better, and they're right - it just works.

-Bryan

18. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

In the same boat mac for 4 months

I too bought my first mac, a 24" aluminum imac, at christmas time. I now have two imacs, an iphone, an an airport extreme. Mac products sure are like rabbits.

19. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

powerbook g4 started it all, followed by

macbook
    macbook pro
    mac pro
    23" ACD
    8 ipods
    AEBS
    BT Keyboard
    BT Mouse (Old style)
    BT Mightymouse

it definitely takes a hold of your life, although i wont move over to the ipone...my blackberry is wonderful enough

20. viconi thread starter macrumors newbie

True about the blackberry I love mine too, hopefully June will be a good month for the iPhone, blackberrys and OS X just dont mix.

21. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Two and a half years ago I bought my first Mac, a G5 iMac; fell in love with the thing immediately. Just over a month later I bought a Powerbook, having realized that I no longer wanted to use my old Windows laptop -- if I disliked Windows so intensely and didn't want to deal with it at home, I sure as heck didn't want to mess with it on the road! That was in the fall of 2005. One day I got to poking around and discovered the joys of iTunes and so then of course had to buy an iPod... In January 2006 I attended MacWorld, where, yup, here came the introduction of the intel-based machines! In May 2006 I bought my 15" MBP, and in September of that year, the long-awaited Mac Pro. Come March 2007 and I added a 17" MBP. The end of June found me waiting in line with many others to get my hands on an iPhone.....

The end of the tale? Not quite. I'm sitting here happily typing on my sweet little MBA, which is resting comfortably on my lap. I'd say I was bitten pretty hard by the Apple "bug!"

22. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

Yep, I know how that happens! Here's how I went:

MacBook (January '07)
    30GB iPod 5G (February '07)
    Tango Speakers for my iPod (Not Apple, but related) & Shuffle (June '07)
    Another Shuffle (July '07)
    iPhoto Books (October '07)
    Mighty Mouse (January '08)

Coming Soon:
    Mac Mini
    iMac
    iPod Touch
    iPhone (if it comes to T-Mobile, without hacking)
    More Shuffles

It's almost an addiction now...

23. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Probably true. I use both Macs and PC's daily, and have for years. I've never had issues with malware on either, because I don't download questionable content. I think if Mac's become super popular, and thousands of hackers begin writing malware for OSX, I will simply maintain my present strategy, as it's been 100% successful so far (knock on wood). I'm all for Apple systems growing and expanding as much as possible. I think Apple is up for the challenge, and I like the thought of everyone I know being a fellow Mac user. Of course, not everyone will like OSX, but I suspect many who try it will love it. :)

24. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Now on my third iPod, I decided it was time to go all the way Apple and bought a blackbook since my old Dell notebook was too bulky for taking to class and stuff. I've only had it a few days but love it already :) No more windoze for me!

25. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds