4" was never required

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Mar 27, 2016.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

A 4.7" screen is not a major jump from a 4" phone.

We all know Apple released a smaller phone as its cheap as chips.

If you want all those new internals buy a 6s. If you want a budget phone buy a 6. If you want a 4" screen purchase an iPod touch as a second gadget. That's what I do but the 4" screen looks awful next to my 6s.

2. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

In your opinion. My girlfriend is considering going from a 6 to 5se for the smaller 4" screen.

3. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Stop making new threads to tell us you don't like the SE.

4. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I checked the 6s yesterday against a 5s at an Apple store. I describe the screen the same as you doing the comparison.

Size matters though to lots of folks. Look what happened when they released the Mini, the screen paled in comparison to the larger Ipad but .......

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

But now you don't have to chose, you can have the best of both, if you want.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes it was. 4.7 is just over the maximum size for one handed use. I tried to make myself like the 4.7, but it was too big.

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

That is not an opinion, the screen pales in comparison. Go check out each and after a few minutes that is obvious.

Size matters to lots of folks though but some will not make that trade off regardless. Hope it works out for her.

8. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

iPad mini is in the same case as the Air and Pro.

iPad mini is over 2" smaller than the Air and Pro 9.7.

It has mostly the same features.

Big difference than only 0.7" in an old phone case.

The SE is the oldest design case in the entire IOS line up in 2016 that's the facts. Wouldn't surprise me if it was made from left overs from the 5S production remember they made too many? I'm sure this was around the time Apple started ordering loads before the days of the long queues.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2016 ---
    If that's the case why would she not have gone for a 5C and 5S before? The 5S doesn't have much speed difference over the 6.

9. profets macrumors 68040

Me personally, I feel like 4.7 and 5.5 are excellent options for a small and large phone. Used the Plus for a year and then went to the 6s as I got truly annoyed not being able to use the phone single handedly. With the 4.7 it feels extremely easy to use with one hand, yet gives ample screen real estate compared to the 4". Whenever I use my son's iPod touch I'm amazed to how small the screen feels - quite deceiving and I can't believe how small the keyboard is. I'm sure others will disagree and feel the need for a 4" phone as well, which I'm very happy to see Apple keep updated.

If I had to make an educated guess (purely my opinion), I think Apple was moving towards 4.7 and 5.5 thinking they were two great size options and that they would slowly phase out the 4" size. But I think factors like sales numbers (30 million sold in 2015), sales rates & expansion in China, and and hitting a lower price point by using a matured (yet truly timeless / classic) design/chassis are what drove them to keep the 4" at the low tier. They also hit a niche which definitely seems to resonate with some of the older/loyal iPhone users.

10. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

She had a 5 before and went to the 6. Seeing the 5se I guess she remembers how nice the design is. Her contract is over in September and she wants a smaller phone with the best camera she can get. And great battery life. For wait for it... Not that much money compared to the rest of the offerings.

Apple wanted to release a smaller phone. There's no denying there is a market for it. They released a small phone with great internals. What role would a cheaper 6 in plastic have? The 6 has gone down in price after the release of the 6s and is a great option if you want a larger phone. Some people might not think 0,7" makes a difference but ask the people who want a small phone and that's all that matters. It fits it role perfectly, it's smaller, has almost all the latest tech. And it's cheap. The 5c was not that at all. It was just a cheap phone.

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Personally, with my previous iPhone 6s+, I like the screen, but did not like the handling of it from taking it out of my belt holder (Never used my pockets) all the time. Returned it, and used my 5s that I went back to for a short time, and it was easy to pocket, which I liked. Now purchased the iPhone 6s, not much larger than the 5s, still use two handed, and it pockets easy as well as the 5s. Everyone is different, so folks, just select one that works for you. No new iPhone out today is bad. ;)

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I own an iPhone 6S.

I want a smaller phone.

4" is required.

Pretty simple. [​IMG]

13. dmnc macrumors 6502

dmnc

You didn't want it. Apple might have solid numbers to believe it was required...

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For you maybe, but I don't want a 4.7" phone, I want a 4" phone. Clearly Apple is seeing a need and is addressing it. Just because you do not want size a form factor, doesn't mean other people don't.

One size does not fit all, yet that is what you're espousing telling us who want to a 4" phone to buy a 4.7" AND an iPod touch.

15. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

We have a 6s and a 5s and I prefer the 5s. I wish it were smaller still.

Apple updated their existing 4" phone because there is still a significant market for it.

I don't want a 6s. I don't want a budget phone. I want a small phone. The ipod touch is not a phone.

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Same, I'd love a 4S with modern guts. Try to bend that.

17. kaylerrific macrumors regular

I wish they would just reduce the top and bottom bezels. The width is so perfect on the 5s. I would imagine they could fit a 4.7 inch screen into a 5s body if they could just reduce the bezels.

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Lol why do you care if people have options? The more the merrier.

19. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Meh. The bezels don't bother me at all and I probably have fewer false taps on the screen because of them.

I just want a small, easy to carry, understated, classy and unobtrusive phone ... preferably in black. I don't need a shiny, colorful, flashy, attention-grabbing device.

20. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Size does matter. My gf prefers a 4 incher instead of 5.1. She also likes it being flat instead of round. Easier for her to grip it and hold it in her hands. She never uses any protection on it, preferring the naked feel to show off the beauty of it. Rose pink is her color of choice. :p

21. Diego F. macrumors newbie

Never required? Did you see the keynote? They showed 4" sells and it's a very important number. You may be sure that Apple has good reasons to launch the 5se.

22. Skika macrumors 68030

23. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

The SE has way more reason to exist than your 6s-touch combination or this thread. Next.

24. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

No, op knows more than Apples market research team.

25. kerrikins macrumors 65816

Or I can get an SE and save money compared to the 6S, but get upgraded internals from my 6 :)

I really don't understand these threads that try to downplay other people's choices.