40 dollars for a upgrade Fee.... AT&T is nuts.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Sep 11, 2014.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Why is upgrade fee so damn high?
    I don't understand what this charge is for?

Also, AT&T doesn't offer any trade in deals like Verizon on my old iPhone.

AT&T is bad or is it time to switch?

That 40 dollars is just plain crazy.

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Just call in and have them waive the upgrade fee. You're a reliable customer that always pays their bill on time and have been with them for X amount of years. Yadda yadda, they'll credit your next bill $40.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This is one of many reasons I switched to T-Mobile, though I realize that T-Mobile doesn't cover everyone as well as AT&T does.

Still, if you're off-contract, you might consider calling them up and threatening to switch if said fee isn't waived. Sometimes it works. Other times, they just put you right through to cancellations.

4. SaltedV8 macrumors member

There has always been an upgrade fee and with crazy people (like me) that want to upgrade like this, it is easy money.

And, like all things, with time the prices of almost everything go up, even an upgrade fee.

5. solo118 macrumors 65816

As opposed to $36?? sheesh....

Anyways yeah like the others said, they can likely waive it after you upgrade.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

They are all equally bad. The advantage of ATT over Verizon and Sprint has always been the ability to use data and voice at the same time. Looks like VoLTE fixes that, that maybe there is no difference now.

7. reverberlayed macrumors regular

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That used to work when I called every year to complain about the (first $18, then $36) upgrade fee, but about two years ago, the fight was much harder and they finally relented saying this was a "one time courtesy." Then last year, they wouldn't do it at all. This was a multi line account, always paid on time.

9. karmatourer macrumors 65816

karmatourer

Thought I read AT&T is offering $$$ for trade-ins. Maybe not.

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

This is what I always did when I was on contract. I've been with AT&T over 15 years and I gave them the 3rd degree about that BS charge. They always gave me a courtesy credit. Now, this was BEFORE the NEXT program that they are pushing hard core, but it still might work.

:apple:

11. BabyFu18 macrumors member

BabyFu18

I agree, they used to be pretty open to crediting you for the upgrade fee, but the last couple of times anyone on my plan has upgraded they've vehemently refused to waive the fee.

12. TAZ911 macrumors member

You don't have to buy your phone at ATT either. If the trade in offer from ATT sucks go to best buy, apple or any other retailer and trade your phone in on a new 6. Maybe the different in trade in value will cover the $40 wallet raping fee. If not call and bitch every day till you get a rep that waves it.

13. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I upgraded to the 5 two years ago and had no problem. Though I don't doubt that things may have changed since then. Regardless, I'll be calling ATT.

14. reverberlayed macrumors regular

Why do people expect to get the upgrade fee waived?

I don't buy gas and then complain that it's too expensive and ask for money back.

Edit: The companies should just do themselves a favor and increase the price and not try and hit the consumer with fees that don't mean anything to the consumer.

15. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

Or you could just switch to AT&T Next and pay a $0 upgrade fee.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The upgrade fee is a totally Bravo Sierra fee. It is a money grab pure and simple.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The real issue I have with the fee is, they have yet to provide a justifiable reason for it. When you complain they claim that the fee is for:

1. The cost and overhead required for AT&T staff to sell you a device and process your upgrade (which is valid if you buy your iPhone at an AT&T store... but totally invalid if you buy at an Apple Store, or Best Buy, or on the Apple website, as AT&T's resources used are minimal at best in those cases.)

2. Covers the cost to help upgrade their super awesome LTE network! (But wait... isn't that why I'm already paying a monthly service fee?)

18. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

1. Their fee was always $36 and now $40. Not a huge jump
    2. The fee IMHO has always been rediculous, esp if you get the phone from Apple and ATT not even in the loop. Why do they collect on something they are not doing any work to do?
    3. Call and complain and they will credit it
    4. ATT most certainly offers trades and have for quite some time. They just dont advertise it as VZW might. ATT was actually the second highest tradeing value to Bestbuy 2 weeks ago for my IP5.

19. reverberlayed macrumors regular

Yeah, I worked at Verizon and we had the same kind of spiel. I do wish the carriers would find another way to charge you without a misleading label, but I've accepted that the fee exists and factored it into the amount I'll ultimately need to pay for a service I want.

20. Shabbis macrumors regular

I called customer service and had the fee waived last time I upgraded. I plan on doing the same this time.

21. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Use next and you pay nothing but tax up front, and no upgrade fee - then you can pay the phone all off or just make payments as it is a free no nee no interest loan ;)

22. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

I'd love to hear if many are successful with ATT waiving the $40. That is one of the selling points of Next having no upgrade fee.

23. ctbaz macrumors regular

NEXT has changed everything when it comes to things like this that ATT used to waive.

24. DatzKray macrumors member

Not only do they only charge 40$,

I went to check and get prepared for the iPhone 6 release online, you know how iPhone 5s is 99$ for a 2 year contract? and i wasn't eligible for an upgrade so shouldn't it be 140$ including the fees? But no i selected the 16GB iPhone 5s and it turned out to be 350$. That's ludicrous. I'd imagined how much it'd cost to buy the iPhone 6. Might as well pay an extra 200 for unlock

25. Shabbis macrumors regular

If I were to switch to NEXT, do I get to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan?