4'000 $ Best buy gift card, what to do !?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by charlieroberts, Apr 23, 2009.

1. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Hi, maybe someone has had a similar experience ?

I've been buying best buy gift cards for over two years now, totaling in 4'000 dlls.

Now I have a giant 4'000 dlls giftcard, and I want a mac pro !
    The problem is, I would love one of the BTO options...
    Can someone think of a way to buy this through best buy ??? They only list the base configurations, I don't mind anything else but the processors, from what I've heard are not easy at all to replace...

So any advice ? What would you do ?

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to not answer your question, but why have you been collecting Best Buy cards? Do you get a deal when you buy them (say $15 buys you a $20 card?)

3. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

You know Apple has gift cards? Only Apple does custom configs, and maybe some local Authorized Dealers.....

4. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I assume OP has been taking advantage of live.com's cashback promotion, but its only been going on for less than one year.

5. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

ok

The thing is, I buy them at my local Randall's, they don't sell Apple gift cards. And neither do any of the supermarket I shop in.

Why do I HAVE to buy them at a supermarket ?
    Well, I pay regular price, but I can disguise the purchase as a grocery purchase. Which my wife won't give me trouble about.

Don't judge, but that is the reason :)

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

No judgement at all but isn't your wife going to wonder where the brand new Mac Pro came from and how/how much you paid for it?? :p

7. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

well she's not very computer savvy, so it might go a little like this;

Me:Hey honey ! my old computer just died :confused: . I might have to buy a new one !

She: Oh that's too bad! How much are you spending ?

Me: Well I'm thinking along the lines of 800 dlls (that's going to the LED display ;) )

*Goes out, comes back with MP, everyone is unsuspecting and happy*

I getting kind of discouraged though, no ones seems to have ideas...

At this point I'm thinking going for the base 8-core (i was looking at the 2.93 quad) And then ordering HDD, RAM from newegg and the ATI GPU from apple.
    I dunno however if you can install the airport card yourself, havent found it on the apple store.

8. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Awesome and sad at the same time.

Anyway, do they sell gift cards for Bloomingdales/Nordtroms there too? Watch out .. .

10. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

you my friend...ARE AWESOME... give this man a computer geek/casanova award...

mac pro 2.66 -2499.99
    24 inch led screen 799.99
    bluetooth keyboard 79.99
    bluetooth mouse 69.99
    bose companion 3 speakers 249.99

3699.95+tax... and you have your self a nice computer my good man

11. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Good idea. I might have to try that if mom / dad make me buy groceries when I start driving

[testdi]This is a secret message![/testdi]

12. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

so, thanks for the advice, but i HAVE 4000 $$ worth of cards already, i'm not looking to start over !

And loosen up, I'm just doing this to avoid confrontation with my wife, It's not like I'm stealing or something, and we do pretty good for ourselves, so the money is not tight. It's just this way I'm happy with my toys, and happy with my wife.

The other way around, we'd have a big "talk" of whether I really "need" the new MP... yadda yadda.

And besides, It's just more fun this way ! (Unless I get screwed for having bought BB giftcards LOL)

13. ibglowin macrumors regular

How sad that your marriage is so fragile that you can't tell your wife the truth (honey I would like to buy a new computer) or you choose to lie for one reason or another.......

14. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I actually lol'ed at this, well thanks a lot ! and you are welcome to use the same technique.
    It is pretty awesome, and you could go for any kind of giftcard, and setting the spy games aside, it's a pretty effective way to save, you force yourself to buy 50$ each week and set them aside.
    I know there are probably better ways that make more "economical" sense, but for those who are like me and money burns in their pocket, I found it to be a pretty decent solution....

Cheers, and for advice with the ladies, PM me... jk lol

15. daflake macrumors 6502a

Have to say that I agree with you. What kind of marriage is that? :confused: I could never lie to my wife like that.:(

16. charlieroberts thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Well, that's just one way to look at it.
    But I wouldn't expect you to undestand my marriage, after all it is mine and my wife's.

And I will tell her I NEED to buy a new computer, the thing is my NEED, while being so obvious to me is not apparent to her, since she barely ever sits in front of a computer, let alone a 4'000$ one.
    It is all about smooth sailing.

And now I'm not kidding when I say... PM me for marital advice, sounds like you would need it. Cheers

17. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

dude dont rag on this guy. technically its a form of saving. when some 11th grade kid comes in here talking about saving up money to buy a macbook everyone applauds him. when this guy saves money in a different way hes a douche and his marriage is fragile. i hope his marriage lasts for 1000 years. yeah its a little sneaky, but its not like hes saying he just got married and his mistress is buying him a new computer.

18. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

which is what makes it awesome...i guess im a douche for telling my parents that my 24 in. iMac cost 1000 bucks and my 400 dollar speakers cost me 50 bucks. i guess my relationship with my parents is fragile ((its not)) i just dont wanna hear the conversation/have the talk about funds and being responsible, and saving. which is pretty much what my dude here is doing... its a guy thing

19. harodude macrumors regular

Man o man! This really made my night!!

I was expecting you had found a $4000 GC and no one claimed it ahahha.

Anyways ,you might try purchasing the computer from Best Buy, dont open it, and then take to Apple and ask for a fat store credit there so that you can CTO the thing...

Maybe that would work, I havnt tried.

Nice thinking though, I must admit!

20. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

i was expecting that too...i was gonna call BS cuz thats just redic... but its utter genius haha

21. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

You don't know women, sir. There is no woman in the world who would approve of a $4,000 computer purchase. Unless there was a VERY compelling reason (ie Work) for it, but even then its hard to justify. Its just not worth the hassle.

He can always say he got a really good deal on it through a hook up somewhere or got it second hand, etc. There's ways of doing this, as long as the full $4,000 receipt does not surface.

Anyway, OP, have you thought about selling your gift cards for cash? Maybe to friends, co-workers, etc. so you don't lose much or any value?

That way you can bring the cash to the Apple store, and buy what you want. You don't have to convert all $4,000 this way, just enough for your purchase. You can then go to Best Buy and buy the 24" ACD and a few accessories with the remaining gift cards.

Also, I don't know if Best Buy sells Visa gift cards, because if they do you can just get that.

In the future, I would recommend siphoning money off into prepaid Visa cards since they can be used anywhere and you can use a bunch in combination.

22. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

The Macbook in my signature with all the upgrades cost I believe $1200. The new Powermac G4 I just picked up cost $100. The HP monitor to go with it cost $110 I believe. Shave 30% off the top and I dont usually have to hear the conversation lol. Then again my gf is actually pretty cool, as long as Im paying half the mortgage and the bills she is usually ok with it.

23. ChrisA macrumors G4

No, he just wanted to give Best Buy a zero interest loan. About the best thing he could do now is try to unload them at 90% or 80% of face value and be glad he had not put the money into GM stock.

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't care what you people think. From my standpoint, it's a sly form of being dishonest. It's not full out lying, but in a sneaky, cowardly way. If you're marriage is that fragile then you have problems, no matter what the situation is. If you really need something, you don't have to justify buying it. If you don't, there are people who will disapprove of you. In this case, you are being a coward and I'm guessing you probably don't need the power of a Mac Pro.

BUT, I'm not here to judge all that. If you really want a BTO Mac Pro, buy one from Best Buy (any configuration) and return it to the Apple Store for credit and buy it online (w/ store credit).