40GB missing on Harddrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by znoopy, May 26, 2017.

1. znoopy macrumors newbie

Hi.

After an unfinished install of BootCamp Windows I seem to be missing 40GB of space on my hard drive, that I can't manage to recover...

Pls see screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/54vj7ofz7r0g9yr/Screenshot 2017-05-26.png?dl=0

I have a 256GB drive but system HD is only 200GB.

Anyone knows how I can reclaim the missing 40GB? Revert through Bootcamp Assistant doesn't work, since it doesn't recognise it.

Thx

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Go into Disk Utility, click your main drive, and click "Partition". Is there any "empty space" or "unused space" or whatever in the pie chart?

Feel free to share a screenshot.

3. Fishrrman, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017

Fishrrman macrumors G4

Chances are, the only way you're getting that space back will be to do this:

1. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable cloned backup of your internal drive (the Mac partition, that is) on an EXTERNAL drive.

2. BOOT FROM the cloned backup.

3. Use Disk Utility to re-initialize the internal drive to HFS+ with journaling enabled, ONE partition.

4. Use CCC (or SD) to RE-clone the backup BACK TO the internal.

This WILL do the job, and do it right.
    Takes a little time, though...

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Did you mouse over the line-graph elements? This may be "Purgeable" - try a google to understand more about this. (That is, it may not be "missing"
    What does a cmd-i on the disk say?
    Try something like Disk Inventory X to see if there is some blob someplace, such as a log file.

5. znoopy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all!

I ended up doing a complete reinstall of OS.... :/

6. KALLT macrumors 601

It probably would have been fixable using command-line tools. Just for future reference. :)