Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is your new Mac Pro running?

• Total voters

flyingscott

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Michigan
Poll Question...

For those who have received the new Mac Pro. Who has been running flawlessly (or with very minor issues)...?

And who has had problems...?

and when I say problems, I mean big enough problems where you have to involve Apple.

I just want to get an overall feel on the ratio of good to bad.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
I would have checked flawless but, Airport not working properly has really cause a headache for me. We should expect this to be resolved by now, Apple.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
I've had none of the above problems.

Incidentally, my Mac Pro was left to sleep the entire night without problems.

I am most confident that it is one of the following...

1. Bad Apple Hard Drive.
2. Bay 1 not working right.
3. A bad install of Leopard on the Apple drive, since it froze during install twice and had no problem installing on 3rd party drive.

Could it typically be the "Bay" not working right? I just don't really want to lug this 40 pound paperweight to the store tonight if its just the Hard Drive. However, if my computer isn't frozen when I get home, then I have no idea what the problem could be. lol

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
I would have checked flawless but, Airport not working properly has really cause a headache for me. We should expect this to be resolved by now, Apple.

Hey,dont be unreasonable.

Apple has had only 19 moths to solve the problem.
Dont be a whiner.

_darthraige said:
Could it typically be the "Bay" not working right? I just don't really want to lug this 40 pound paperweight to the store tonight if its just the Hard Drive.

In few of the old 06s there was exactly same problem of bay 1 not working/working poorly.
Some were mobo issues and some were that the sata cabling at the back of the housing was poorly seated. Try to tinker/readjust the cabling there to see if it helps?

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
In few of the old 06s there was exactly same problem of bay 1 not working/working poorly.
Some were mobo issues and some were that the sata cabling at the back of the housing was poorly seated. Try to tinker/readjust the cabling there to see if it helps?

Interesting. I'll be bringing it to the Apple Store tonight only because it's a 5 minute drive. lol ... I just don't want them to hold onto the machine for a few days.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Interesting. I'll be bringing it to the Apple Store tonight only because it's a 5 minute drive. lol ... I just don't want them to hold onto the machine for a few days.

Have you tried inserting the harddrive into another bay? Just to confirm.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Have you tried inserting the harddrive into another bay? Just to confirm.

I haven't. At this point, something is wrong with it, whether it's the hard drive, the bay, or the board. Shouldn't be doing what it's doing. Gonna take it to Apple and let them see what's up. No biggy. I just need this system up and running, way behind on things now.

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
Poll Question...

For those who have received the new Mac Pro. Who had been running flawlessly (or with very minor issues)...?

And who has had problems...?

and when I say problems, I mean big enough problems where you have to involve Apple.

I just want to get an overall feel on the ratio of good to bad.

I have the stock octo 2.8 w/ airport and no problems here whatsoever. I'm about ready for some more RAM, but that's it. It's a helluva lot better than my Powerbook G4!

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Pretty much okay, just the same machine lockup while using Safari that darthraige was having.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM. EVERYTHING WORKING BEAUTIFULLY!

And when ever it's on it has been stressed to the max using Seti!

cliffrouse11bas

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
I have been having problems with the restart issue and have fixed it twice but its kinda like a bad cold it just keeps coming back.

jaglad

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
Royston, UK
Well I received my Mac Pro Monday, tonight has been my first chance to use it properly, I have to say so far it is performing flawlessly. I am really impressed with the speed, not only that it is SOOOO quiet. I thought my Dual 2.7 Powermac was quiet but this is on a different scale, I would say it is as nearly as quiet as my imac.

Considering the Mac Pro only has 2Gb of Ram it is really quick, I cant wait to upgrade it to get even more performance out of it. I did a test earlier, I converted a film in Handbrake for my iPhone, first I did it on my Powermac with 4.5Gb Ram and that took about 2 hours to convert, on this beast of a machine the same film and the same settings took only 10 Minutes and only used 70% combined processing power! Quite a speed increase I am sure you will agree, it is also good to see the processors averaging around 30 degrees compared to 70 on the Powermac, all in all I am well impressed!!

Mercuric Oxide

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
NYC
I can't verify or repair permissions.

The bar immediately goes halfway and says 1 min remaining, and hangs there until I stop it.

Anyone have any ideas?

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Well, just had machine lockuup number 3 again while using Safari. Just downloaded FireFox to see if that changes anything. Had to do a hard shutdown/restart. Sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.