47 Years Ago: A Giant Leap for Mankind

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Jul 21, 2016.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Crazy, isn't?

Two score and seven years ago, three guys took 7.5 million pounds of thrust, packed it into a 365-foot rocket, and set off on a journey that one person dared to put out there, but nobody thought would ever occur...

Then it did.

July 16th, 2016 was 47 years to the day that Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, and Michael Collins boarded Apollo 11, and set off. 4 days later, they landed on the moon. I'll let NASA take it from here. Enjoy.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo11.html

[​IMG]
    Apollo 11 Commander Neil Armstrong working at an equipment storage area on the lunar module. This is one of the few photos that show Armstrong during the moonwalk.

[​IMG]
    Smoke and flames signal the opening of a historic journey as the Saturn V clears the launch pad.

[​IMG]
    Buzz Aldrin climbs down the Eagle's ladder to the surface.

[​IMG]
    Crater 308 stands out in sharp relief in this photo from lunar orbit.

Instead of talking about the Dwarf Planets, My kids will be having this for their story time tonight. :)

BL.

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I remember watching on TV the landing and was just in awe!

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's fantastic and I love it.

I hope we either go back to the Moon or put humans on Mars (or both) in my lifetime.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The craft used to go to the moon looks like junk. The Stealth Bomber design painted white would have looked nicer space craft design to go to the moon.

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Hardly seems that long ago. I remember it quite well.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Now, Mars!

Or the Sun, when it is night, of course.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is sad that we haven't been back in over 40 years.

8. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

So many old folk who were alive when it happened!

I'm happy just looking at the moon.

9. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Well, there were scheduling conflicts with the studio that they booked at the Warner lot....

Hehe...KIDDING (ducking) ;)

Honestly, when I saw this thread, I thought "****, here come all of the conspiracy nuts!" :)

As a huge fan of Space 1999 - I really DO hope we have a moon base someday....maybe just as a "life boat" for ships between here and Mars, but it'll still be way cool to visit!!! :)

10. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

False flag. They did NOT go to the moon. No living organism can survive the massive magnetic Van Allen radioactive belts surrounding Earth. All their photos are obviously false. Please understand this simple truth.

11. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Right.

Thing is, the Russians were monitoring all the transmissions and path of the rocket throughout the whole process. I don't know how much you're aware of US/Russian relations at the time, but they weren't the best of buddies.

If there was any hint that something wasn't legitimate — anything at all — they would have said something. Although that's putting it lightly. They'd have kicked up a massive fuss. Remember that the Russians were trying so hard for so long to put a man on the moon as well?

Of course, the knee-jerk reaction of conspiracy theorists to this obvious news is that "the Russians knew it was fake". So it goes from a US conspiracy to a global conspiracy, and all the people involved haven't squeaked a word about it. All that effort to say: "hey, we got a boot on a rock once."

I think that's the simplest of truths, frankly. Please do logically analyse why you think what you do.

12. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ok, then...

serious.jpg

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

15. Jess13, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

HER CODE GOT HUMANS ON THE MOON—AND INVENTED SOFTWARE ITSELF

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/margaret-hamilton-nasa-apollo/

For Hamilton, programming meant punching holes in stacks of punch cards, which would be processed overnight in batches on a giant Honeywell mainframe computer that simulated the Apollo lander’s work. “We had to simulate everything before it flew,” Hamilton remembers. Once the code was solid, it would be shipped off to a nearby Raytheon facility where a group of women, expert seamstresses known to the Apollo program as the “Little Old Ladies,” threaded copper wires through magnetic rings (a wire going through a core was a 1; a wire going around the core was a 0). Forget about RAM or disk drives; on Apollo, memory was literally hardwired and very nearly indestructible.

[...] Without it, Neil Armstrong wouldn’t have made it to the moon.

Mods, I tried to quote it rather than indentation. Very tired of this stupid quote bug.

Screen capture: split quote boxes, when I did not format as such

QB.png

I formatted this with one quote at very start and one at very end.

Look what happened to the quote count, such a stupid bug :rolleyes:

QB.png

16. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Read in the news two days ago that astronauts who have been to the moon were mortally affected by heart disease.

This calls into question the whole concept of space travel. It seems that a combination of deep space radiation and weightlessness has a long term effect on the heart. I wonder if we'll ever solve the problem.

17. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

It all depends on the research. Mark and Scott Kelly and Chris Hadfield would make great subjects for study on this, as they were up there longer than those that went to the moon.

BL.