Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saaketham

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I work for a small business in the midwest, and we provide software and data analysis services to the precision farming industry. Most of my colleagues either don't like Apple's system or they don't care about either Apple or Android-based devices. I'm a hardcore Apple fan, using iMacs at home, iPhone 4S and iPad 2, and some of my colleagues and my boss always make fun of me for being an Apple fanboy. Well, I used to give them a hard time each time I could find something silly about Android as well. Good natured, though.

Well, this weekend, at our company christmas party, our CEO announced that we'll all be getting a christmas bonus and then, his son, who is our VP, pulled the cover off a big stack of boxes in the corner of the room and said "every single employee is getting an iPad 2 16GB wifi right now - it's not company property - it's yours to take home and do whatever you want with it". Everyone just stared at each other, delightfully shocked, then a very big smile appeared on every face. Everyone grabbed one and now, everyone's talking about how cool this is, or that they found this cool app to this or that. And I'm having the last laugh - every single employee now owns an iPad 2, and I'm happily answering questions about settings, iCloud, Apps, iTunes, etc etc. :) I sent out an email to everyone with a list of all my favorite apps and a brief summary of what each one is for and everyone's now on Flipboard or Craigslist or PvZ, etc etc.

Just thought I'd share this news with the MacRumors members.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I've seen this happen so many times, where someone is hesitant to switch to Apple or is just put off by going with whats popular and everyone else is doing... Then they do it and they are soooo happy and fully converted.... Just last week my co-worker finally got an iPhone after swaring by her blackberry and stating that she would never switch. Now she cant stay off her iPhone and can't stop talking about all the things she can do with all the different apps.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
How can a small business afford 48 iPad 2s?!

On topic: that doesn't surprise me :D I had a 1st gen iPhone and got bored of it fairly quickly because it was very limited at launch. That put me off the iOS system for a few years. I recently bought an iPad and it's came along so far, I love it.

saaketham

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011

We had a good two years .. doing brisk business and growing rapidly. In most bigger companies, even if they can afford to treat their employees right, by the time they've paid millions to the CEO, CFO and every other C-O, the lower level employees end up with no bonus or just a minor bonus. My employer, however, goes to great lengths to share some of that profit with every employee, by giving us christmas bonuses, iPads, football tickets to the university games, etc etc. That's why I've been working with them for 10.5 years now. :)

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
A coworker has had 3 different Android type phones. She had problems learning to use them, or they just didn't work right, I don't know. I told her if she got an iPhone, I could at least help her learn how to use it, and there wouldn't be any undiagnosable problems with it. Her husband and son are totally against anything Apple. :confused: She got the iPhone and without any help from anyone, she is using it and loving it.

She is now getting rid of her Windows desktop and buying an iMac. :D iPad to come when the iPad 3 is released.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
A coworker has had 3 different Android type phones. She had problems learning to use them, or they just didn't work right, I don't know. I told her if she got an iPhone, I could at least help her learn how to use it, and there wouldn't be any undiagnosable problems with it. Her husband and son are totally against anything Apple. :confused: She got the iPhone and without any help from anyone, she is using it and loving it.

She is now getting rid of her Windows desktop and buying an iMac. :D iPad to come when the iPad 3 is released.

Yet I'm it literate and I ran into several problems, the most annoying being not being able to register my debit card with my account the day I got my iPad 2. Tried many times but it didn't work until the following day. I changed nothing.. :confused:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
That's pretty cool.

Funny thing is I can see some people feeling this makes a bonus more enjoyable. Sometimes bonuses just get used to pay off things and not buy anything, this way you get a "fun toy" so to speak and it makes you smile.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
That's a really cool story. Our boss uses to give out very decent christmas bonuses every year, too. 3 years ago I was awarded a 4 day holiday in Rome.

Last year he gave out 3 iPads to the most valuable employees of that year. I was a little envious of my colleagues but decided to save up the money and buy one myself. Which I did - I'm typing this on my iPad from my bed. It us such a convenient device.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Very Nice, I wish I was that lucky to get one, and Would most likely sell it for a iPad 3 when is out

saaketham

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
It was funny to see how people were more excited about the iPad 2 than the half-month's salary bonus the CEO announced, with which most of us can buy several iPads. :) Electronic gadgets and instant gratification!!! :)

I already have an iPad 32GB wifi, and I had planned to send this to my dad back in India, but I couldn't find any of my friends who're traveling to India for the next several months. So, I'll be selling it or trading it for Nikon lenses on another forum soon. I'll get my dad an iPad 3 when I go to India next year (hopefully). :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

On topic: that doesn't surprise me :D I had a 1st gen iPhone and got bored of it fairly quickly because it was very limited at launch. That put me off the iOS system for a few years. I recently bought an iPad and it's came along so far, I love it.
Because even during these real turbulent times a small business who has been run smart over the years is likely still sitting with their heads above water. It also depends on the service the business offers.
That's pretty cool.

Funny thing is I can see some people feeling this makes a bonus more enjoyable. Sometimes bonuses just get used to pay off things and not buy anything, this way you get a "fun toy" so to speak and it makes you smile.
I was thinking the same thing. I was planning on a bonus this year to do things like pay off a debt that I incurred mid-year, build a fence, and buy family presents for Christmas. I would not have gotten myself anything substantial so I think this company is awesome for doing that.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

They can, when you realise the ipads is probably replacing half their year-end bonus there...:p

Not to be a damper here though, as I feel it is still a nice gesture on your boss's part. :eek:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I picked on Apple users back up until the iPhone 3G sparked my interest. Now I have to deal with people picking on me for using Apple products.

Some day maybe they'll see the light.

Awesome story, seems like a cool company.

henry2

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2010
My boss did something like he give out ipad2 to the people in a drawing along with two $60.oo Itunes pre-paid cards to the people who got one .I one won of the ipads and give it to my friend along with one of the Itunes pre-paid cards to buy the apps needed for the ipad .

saaketham

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Ok, now it's getting slightly annoying. :) I have to constantly hear from my colleagues (who used to make fun of me), about how cool the iPad is and how they found this app awesome, and that this app is better than the app I use. he he he ...

Well .. the bonus was half a month's salary for every employee and the iPad 2 was icing on the cake. We were all half-expecting the bonus part, so they didn't really have to do the iPad part at all. So, it's a good gesture.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
As for someone asking about how small business can afford 48 ipads, easy.

I work for a small business, not very close to top, but not on the bottom on the food chain. My bonus allows me to buy over 7 ipads easily. Yes, small businesses CAN pay well.

I applaud your boss, however, for doing this. While understandably some people would prefer a check instead of an iPad, but this seems to be more of a "Christmas spirit" thing to do. Great job.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
That's awesome!

... and smart business. You can tell that the employees value the iPad at more than its actual value (e.g., they get more excited about the iPad than the cash bonus even though it costs less.) Also, it's cool that it seems to have pulled everyone in the office together -- that kind of thing makes people happy to come to work which is good for everyone.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
if i could afford it I would buy my friends that are apple haters ipads to switch them over. Until Im rick ill just buy them apple tvs to try and push them into the ecosystem.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
There's many ways to exploit this in companies balance sheets, employee expenditure vs payroll. I've only taken a couple of accounting classes but if my guess is right? As an expenditure, it's a flat $500 plus tax, whoops some companies don't have to pay tax on this? VS $500 cash which ends up probably being less than $400 when the individual has to pay the taxes. Plus, if it was cash bonus, then the business has to pay payroll taxes etc...

I deal with a lot of small businesses, and when someone cold calls and wants to come sell them a new or competing service, the salesmen always have iPads or tablets to show the potential customer that they are hip and up to date ;)

As a "when will it happen" to the OP, it might be funny one day when I go to the local farmers market, discuss pricing, and the farmer ( no disrespect in the term) pulls out a tablet and we start discussing the futures markets for whatever crop he is selling.

Frozen orange juice and Eddie Murphy comes to mind ;)

saaketham

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah .. everyone in the office definitely now feels more special and people seem to be generally happier. Not just because it's an iPad 2, but because they made this gesture that let everyone know everyone's important. Now, everyone's comparing notes on Apps or cases, etc and there's more joy in the house!!! :)

fjanderson94

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2011
NH
We had a good two years .. doing brisk business and growing rapidly. In most bigger companies, even if they can afford to treat their employees right, by the time they've paid millions to the CEO, CFO and every other C-O, the lower level employees end up with no bonus or just a minor bonus. My employer, however, goes to great lengths to share some of that profit with every employee, by giving us christmas bonuses, iPads, football tickets to the university games, etc etc. That's why I've been working with them for 10.5 years now. :)

Good for you that's awesome that your boss is so nice. A similar thing happened to me and now all my friends have iPhones after swearing they weren't going to join the apple cult.

pourme

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
North Carolina
Is there a job opening?

Great story!...My sister recently got a Android from her Verison Carrier aganist my recomendation to get the iphone. She called me last night complaining about glitches she's experiencing with her new phone. We had a "told you so" moment.....:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.