Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevo1006

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Anyone having problems with 4g. Ordered my iPhone 6 from apple on release day received on first available day and inserted my sim from my 5s which would receive 4g in areas hat had it. But in my iPhone 6 it won't work!!

My wife also has iPhone 6 brought from carrier store (three uk) and same contract as me and picks up 4g no problems.

Went into three today and got a new sim and the problem is still there. Also when I compare my settings with my wife's hers says "mobile" where mine says "cellular"

anyone else had this problem??

Cheers

Stevo

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Hmm. I don't think I'm of much help but on my 6+ when going into settings to check 4G is on, mine goes Settings>Mobile>Enable 4G, yours goes Settings>Cellular>Enable 4G?

On three here too, whilst the 4G coverage isn't as great here in London as EE it seems to work fine.

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
During set up did you put location and language as US English or UK English?

Probably barking up the wrong tree. Maybe you have a US import somehow which may not have the correct 4G operating frequency?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
During set up did you put location and language as US English or UK English?

Probably barking up the wrong tree. Maybe you have a US import somehow which may not have the correct 4G operating frequency?

Eh good thinking but the US Version will work on any 4G LTE network in the EU, its only missing 4 TD-LTE bands mainly used in Asia. But "Cellular" is shown on the American iPhone language settings where as "Mobile" is shown on the UK iPhone settings. I don't think setting it up different would effect getting LTE though.

Stevo1006

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Have reset network settings again with new sim so will try that today also can anyone check their model number against mine as mine is MG4F2B/A

rcw2012

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
Have reset network settings again with new sim so will try that today also can anyone check their model number against mine as mine is MG4F2B/A

Yes that's the correct model number for a UK unlocked iPhone 6 (64GB Space Grey I believe).

To change the wording from Cellular to Mobile you just need to change the language settings from English to UK
English.

I'm on Three here too but 4G hasn't been rolled out yet where I live so haven't been able to try it yet.

Stevo1006

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Went into a 4g area again today after network settings reset and went to no service again!! Time to go to the Genius Bar!!

saley89

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Went into a 4g area again today after network settings reset and went to no service again!! Time to go to the Genius Bar!!

Let us know how you get on. I've been in contact with three with the same issue. First couple of weeks, 4G worked fine. Then suddenly no service. Three eventually said restore iPhone. Did that and it worked again. Now back to No Service.

Considering a trip to genius bar so let us know if they resolve it.

Stevo1006

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Do Three UK show APN under Mobile Data? If so cross check them with your wife's iPhone and see if the information matches?

You can't see apn under settings anymore with iOS 8.

----------

Let us know how you get on. I've been in contact with three with the same issue. First couple of weeks, 4G worked fine. Then suddenly no service. Three eventually said restore iPhone. Did that and it worked again. Now back to No Service.

Considering a trip to genius bar so let us know if they resolve it.

Did you get your phone direct from apple at launch??

saley89

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
You can't see apn under settings anymore with iOS 8.

----------

Did you get your phone direct from apple at launch??

Yes, I picked it up on launch day from Apple Store in Kingston Bentall Centre. Iphone 6 128GB White.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Wait you can't see APN settings in iOS 8 anymore?! I'm on Verizon and they always blocked APN settings (and prior to LTE there were no APN settings being a CDMA carrier). I haven't put my T-Mobile SIM in my iPhone in a bit I'll have to check that out...either way you can use APN Changer from unlock.co.nz or whatever its called...I had to do that to get the correct Verizon APN after switching SIM's once or twice.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Wait you can't see APN settings in iOS 8 anymore?! I'm on Verizon and they always blocked APN settings (and prior to LTE there were no APN settings being a CDMA carrier). I haven't put my T-Mobile SIM in my iPhone in a bit I'll have to check that out...either way you can use APN Changer from unlock.co.nz or whatever its called...I had to do that to get the correct Verizon APN after switching SIM's once or twice.
The ability to see APN setting is not a function of IOS8 it is blocked by the carrier. You don't see it on EE but see it perfectly on Vodafone. As suggested by above poster use Safari on your phone and go to unlockit.co.nz select the country and then the carrier and download the file on your phone it will set up the apn correctly.

johnmed

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
uk
I'm in the Uk, set up as UK English. I have cellular, not mobile in settings, my model is 64 gb 6+ MGAH2B/A, bought from Apple, day 2.

I use Three Mobile, AND get 4G?!?!

rcw2012

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
I'm in the Uk, set up as UK English. I have cellular, not mobile in settings, my model is 64 gb 6+ MGAH2B/A, bought from Apple, day 2.

I use Three Mobile, AND get 4G?!?!

If you go into Settings - General - Language & Region what do you see against iPhone Language? Mine said "English" and as soon as I changed it to "English (U.K.)" the phone updated and the Cellular wording changed to Mobile. I'm pretty sure I selected UK English when I set up the phone too but I still had the Cellular wording until I changed it through this setting.

MGAH2B/A is the correct model number for an unlocked UK iPhone 64GB 6+.

I may be wrong but I don't think either of these things are anything to do with the 4G issues on Three that some of the folks in this thread are seeing.

johnmed

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
uk
If you go into Settings - General - Language & Region what do you see against iPhone Language? Mine said "English" and as soon as I changed it to "English (U.K.)" the phone updated and the Cellular wording changed to Mobile. I'm pretty sure I selected UK English when I set up the phone too but I still had the Cellular wording until I changed it through this setting.

MGAH2B/A is the correct model number for an unlocked UK iPhone 64GB 6+.

I may be wrong but I don't think either of these things are anything to do with the 4G issues on Three that some of the folks in this thread are seeing.

Correct. I was confusing language and region, subtley. Now says 'Mobile'.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Might be stupid but given that you don't see "Mobile" - do you see the check to enable 4G? It required a network update.

Attachments

• IMG_0310.PNG
    IMG_0310.PNG
    110.7 KB · Views: 93

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
does it matter if you see cellular or mobile? mines set to English not English UK. Whats the difference? is health in miles when set to English UK or is that still broken and saying km?

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
does it matter if you see cellular or mobile? mines set to English not English UK. Whats the difference? is health in miles when set to English UK or is that still broken and saying km?

I don't know if there is a difference, but there isn't an "EU Roaming" section on US phones (as far as I'm aware - could be wrong) so there might be another difference.

I think it's just trying out every option possible.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I don't know if there is a difference, but there isn't an "EU Roaming" section on US phones (as far as I'm aware - could be wrong) so there might be another difference.

I think it's just trying out every option possible.

EU roaming showing on mine when set to English

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
I have Three and I live in London, and even here the coverage is terrible. No more that three dots and it switches between 3g and 4g constantly. Maybe you have the same problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.