4G or LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nhwhazup, May 6, 2012.

1. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I'm in central NH with unlimited data plan with AT&T. I got my iPad 3 in March and have been happily, ignorantly going along using 4G. Do you think it makes sense to upgrade to LTE? I guess I should check to see the network coverage first. Any suggestions, input?

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Not sure what you are talking about. If you aren't getting LTE, it's probably because you just don't have LTE in your area. Unless AT&T is different and offered 4G and LTE as separate options when you activated it? There was no LTE option on Verizon. The two were one in the same.

3. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I checked the map and Boston is the closest place with LTE so I guess I don't have it here in NH. the only reason why I'm even asking is that my credit card got compromised last week so I needed to change the auto billing of my data plan. Going through the settings section, when I click on the cellular data and then further in on the account info, I get a message to contact AT&T for a Sim card for LTE. Now I'm prettynsure I have the Sim card as they took it out of my old iPad and put it in my new one on the day of purchase. Also, I wouldn't be able to pick up cellular data without the card, would I?

Thanks for your input.

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The AT&T sim from your old iPad will not support AT&T LTE. If AT&T LTE is available in your area, which it may very well not be, then you'll need an updated SIM. You may want to consider switching to a Verizon. You will probably get LTE on Verizon, and with an AT&T sim from your old iPad and that iPad's IMEI number, you can get AT&T 4G when out of a Verizon LTE area.

5. Nhwhazup thread starter macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Thanks for your input. I have the unlimited data plan so not really interested in giving that up with ATT. And actually in my area I have really good service with ATT. The map doesn't show the LTE in NH with the nearest city being Boston. I will check further with AT&T though.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I remember reading somewhere that there is a way to transfer your iPad account from your old SIM to the new iPad SIM. Pop in the SIM that came with your iPad, go into the cellular settings and see if you see an option to transfer your old account. It's better this way, because if you ever get LTE service in your area, or you visit an area with LTE service, you'd have the SIM in place to take advantage of it.