4G...worth the wait?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cuse124, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Cuse124 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'll be buying my first Mac tomorrow! (MBP 13)

I was just wondering if the refresh in September will be worth the wait. Basically, should I just sell the 8GB iPod Touch I get with the promotion on eBay and wait it out? Or should I just get the 32GB 3G now.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

2. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I would wait. You can sell the promo stuff now and wait till September. Then, you can either buy the 4g if you like it or buy a 3g if you do not like the 4g.

Maybe it is a stupid idea altogether, but that would be my choice.

3. devils punchbow macrumors member

I suspect it really won't be worth the wait.........
    Hell I have a 2G, and the fricking thing rocks.
    Unless you think a camera is worth the wait. Don't bother waiting.

4. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I agree, I think new features on the 4g Touch will be worth the wait.

5. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

I think you should just sell the 8GB touch sealed brand new on either craigslist or eBay, you could probably get about $150-165 sealed brand new. I highly suggest waiting for the 4G.

6. Biker macrumors regular

Camera, A4 processor, new design... that's a worth wait

7. MindsEye macrumors regular

Add built in mic (if we get a camera) and possibly the retina display and gyroscope i would personally sell and wait for the 4g refresh.

8. Cuse124 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'm gonna wait.

9. devils punchbow macrumors member

Well while you "wait", and buy a 4G. I'll enjoy my 2G that works great. We don't all have the need to wait. Besides these things are not that expensive. We can buy a updated version whenever. This is not a multiple thousand dollar product we are talking about. Maybe your world is more disposable then mine. I'm not interested in speculation of new possible features. As it does not matter since the current model I own exceeds my needs......

10. Panther71 macrumors regular

It is not like I need an iPod Touch right this moment. Unlike some people, I don't have a lot of disposable income, so I am content to wait and see what the new model will be.

11. CalebF macrumors regular

CalebF

Why would ANYONE want a crappy 8GB iPod Touch? Since September of 2009, the 32/64 blows it away in terms of specs and the 4th gen is only going to deepen the separation from antiquated to cutting edge.

Apple sucks for giving away a piddly 8GB, crippled iPod Touch, even if it is free.

Now if they gave out a 32GB 3rd gen, then that's a different story.

Drop the 8GB dinosaur, bring back the 16GB and make it the new base model and mirror it in specs of the 32/64 and quit ripping people off, Apple.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Depends on your needs. Is Apple going to reinvent the wheel at the next update? No evidence to suggest.

If you really really want a camera on your iPod touch? Yes. If you're like me and don't really use any other camera, besides a camera? No.

If you play a lot of games and want the extra power? Yes. If you're like me and don't use a whole lot of intensive apps? Probably not.

If you have no use for the thing now? Sell it.

13. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I'm fairly sure that they will add the following things in the 4th gen touch:
    • Retina Display
    • 802.11n WiFi
    • A4 Processor (around 1GHz)
    • 512MB RAM
    • At least one camera
    • Microphone
    • Gyroscope
    • Redesign

Are those worth a less than 2 month wait to you? (They are to me! :eek:)

14. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

If you open and use the 8G and keep it pristine in a case, you won't lose more than $25-35 in resale value between now and September. I just bought a used one with some scratches on the back for $120 to hold my daughter over until the new ones come out in Sept/Oct. I bet I will be able to sell it for $100 then.

15. theanimala macrumors 6502

I disagree. I think everyone agrees that the new 4G will have the higher res screen and a gyroscope. Those two items alone are what nearly everything will be coded for in the future. I personally am using the original iphone 2G 8gig that I jailbroke years ago as my ipod Touch. I no longer have a phone sim in it, I only us it for minor web surfing and game playing. I have two giftcards burning a hole in my wallet to get a new 64gig touch, but I am waiting until the Fall as I hardly see the 3G touch as much of an improvement.

16. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

See my sig for all if not all spectulations about the the The New iPod Touch.

17. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

The 4G can't be worse! (thin smile) Unless it won't play music if you hold it a certain way - the way you are supposed to hold it. So Steve will have to teach you a new way to hold it - in-between the ring fingers of both hands...in-between your legs...facing northwest...

18. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

19. Subzero12 macrumors member

that is exactly what i want to see on the next itouch.

20. Subzero12 macrumors member

oh and you should totally wait for the 4g. the last update wasnt a big one so the this one will be big!

21. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Same here for the most part....
    Hopefully...

22. Meever macrumors 6502a

Wait, so let me get this straight.

So some people think that waiting a month and a half to get the exact same product but better in every way isn't worth it? errr....yeah, I'm going to have to pitch my tent in the "wait until september" camp.

23. mark28 macrumors 68000

Back 2 School action ends in September. The new iPod 4G will cost alot more than buying a 3G right now.

24. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Heck I bet it'll kick the socks off my 1G 8gb touch... it's still going strong, but no way would I try to run anything newer on it, it is sluggish with ios3:D, not to mention graphically intense games suck up my battery and I cannot use some of the lattest accessories or apps. I'll get a new one maybe if the rumors actually pan out and we aren't just given a half baked version of the iphone with no camera;)