4GB DDR3 1066Mhz sticks for $210 each

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ECJ, Sep 30, 2009.

1. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

I have a 17" Uni MBP, and have been watching the prices of 4GB DDR3 1066Mhz 204 SODIMM sticks almost obsessively. The price has been dropping pretty fast lately. Over at SuperBiiz it's down to $210 with coupon ($45 off with code SUPERSTEAL45, ends 10/04). The 2nd best price is over at OWC which has them for $248 per stick. I hope they drop down to $200 per stick soon, and that's when I'll buy two.

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

They're actually $187.99 after coupon at ewiz :)

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Thanks for the heads up. I've been checking OWC daily (well, maybe more often...). My threshold of pain is also around $200 each, but I'll have to see how it feels when it gets there.

I don't really need them, but there's something cool about having eight gigabytes of RAM in my MBP. I'll just have to balance the cool with the $$$ and see which wins (eventually cool will win - I'm just not sure when). It'll be awfully tempting at the $200 ea. mark. :D

btw: OWC also has a trade-in program. Right now, a pair of 2GB DDR3's gets you $45. That drops the current price down to $444.99 for the 8GB kit.

4. cababah macrumors 68000

$400 for "coolness?" You must be very well off to afford spending money on things you don't need. I do agree that 8GB sounds nice but why buy something you don't need at the moment instead of waiting a little bit and getting it at half of that price.

I won't get into the irony of bragging about how 8GB in your computer is "cool."

5. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Link?

Edit - Nevermind, didn't know ewiz was the same as superbiiz...

6. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

C'mon now... how do you know he doesn't need it? Maybe it's cool in his opinion. Macs are cool... I don't need one. I could get a PC...:rolleyes:

7. cababah macrumors 68000

That's how I know he doesnt need it. I don't get things to be "cool." Worst reason ever to buy things and just ends up wasting money. Did I need a mac? Well lets not get into a large discussion about what we truly need in this world because 99% of things can be stripped out. Coming from a PC, I did need a reliable OS that allowed me to focus less on protection from malware/spyware/viruses and more on basic computing. I needed portability as well since I like to travel with my computer.

8. mattais macrumors member

He is quite obviously aware of the trade off between cost and the value of the product. Who are you to judge the reasons behind how he spends his money? And when did someone ask you whether or not you get things to be cool?

I could understand if he was thinking he'd see a huge jump in performance, but clearly that isn't the underlying factor. I wouldn't personally spend my money in this way. It is generally seen as high price for low gain. But if you feel like you have the money and want it, then good luck to you.

Now, to wait for the thoughtless response.

9. ECJ thread starter macrumors 6502

ECJ

You are right for one 4GB stick. I was thinking of buying two for 8GB. If you only need one stick, then it's even a better deal.

10. cababah macrumors 68000

Damn, you beat me to it.

11. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Thats a ridiculous amount for getting ram. Seems more cost effective to get an ssd.

13. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Wow am impressed to see they have come down this fast. Too bad I never seem to max out my 4GB anyway.
    Now if only SSDs would drop down like that.

14. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I don't seem to max out my 4 GB but I wonder if programs would use more real memory and less virtual memory if a surplus was there....

that said, still waiting for SSD's to come back down from the sky. I'd pay the retail price for an intel ssd if anyone was offering one at that price.

Alas, my upgrades will have to wait....

15. Kennedy macrumors member

Is that G.Skill 8gb (2x4gb) from Newegg compatible with the uMBP? It doesn't actually say so on the product page. Either that or I missed it. Do the Macs take regular RAM/what type of RAM do they take?

This:
    ?

16. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Thats the RAM that MacBook Pro uses. Will it work, it should. G. Skill switched the DRAM they were using to make it more compatible with more DDR3 equipped notebooks.

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Oh good grief. You have no idea what and why I consider something "cool". 8 gigabytes for $400 cool? To me, it would be just as cool, if it were $50 (actually, more so, because it would be so much for so little). I don't need bragging rights to anyone because it's an "expensive toy", believe me. Can't I just have fun watching technology march ahead? How about 500+GB in a 2.5" form factor drive? That's not "cool"?? I'm sorry if you can't buy the 8GB NOW, instead of waiting a year, but that's your concern - not mine. Anyway, I will most likely wait until they're down to $300ish range, not that it matters. Speaking of which - it really isn't your business telling me whether I can or cannot afford something. You must be in a bind yourself if you feel you need to be frugal with someone else's money. btw: in case you haven't figured it out yet, money isn't everything - which, might be the whole point in discussing the "cool" factor.

What's cool in computing? I was lucky enough to be around when one could build their own home computer in the '70s (I bought and built an Altair 680b). I designed a way to literally piggyback TWO more KB onto the ONE KB which came with the computer. Later, I designed my own dynamic RAM upgrade so I could add another 32KB (around 1980). And yes, that's KILObytes. So the idea of even having ONE GB is "cool" to me. No, I'm not playing the "in my day" card - I just truly have an appreciation for the technology most people take for granted. A computer with 1KB was just as amazing to me then (maybe even more so), as today's machines are to me now. My appreciation for technology is just part of me.

I actually have several situations where I would benefit by more RAM (say running PS and FC), but I don't NEED it. I could wait a year until they were $100 for the kit, but if I want to spend more to have it now why not? As pointed out - it's my money.

As you could tell from above, I'm pretty aware of what increasing RAM will do or not do for me - but, the point needed to be made. Thanks. Also, thanks for pointing out cababah isn't my appointed keeper ;)

Macs ARE cool! :cool:
    Guess what? I consider part of my expense for a Mac their aesthetics. :cool:

18. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I would guess that 95% of people would benefit far greater by spending the money on an SSD. 4 GB of RAM is plenty for most users - sure there are a few who could use 8 GB of RAM. I would suspect that the SSD would speed up an average users normal experiences 4-fold for things like startup times, large files, multiple read and writes and etc. Actually an HDD is the biggest constraint and also greatest rate of failure of any computing component. The SSD is a huge improvement not in just speed but also reducing read/write failures and minimizing the constraint.

Anyone considering 8 GB of RAM now should already have an SSD. Otherwise buy SSD now and wait two years until you might actually utilize RAM and buy for less than $100 per 4 GB stick.

19. cababah macrumors 68000

Feel better now?

20. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I didn't feel bad beforehand, but thanks for asking... :rolleyes: :::facepalm:::

21. cababah macrumors 68000

Your "essay" you wrote attempting to justify your viewpoints speaks otherwise..anyway I am out. Enjoy being :cool:

22. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

[​IMG]

23. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

That sounds like a great price. Has anyone heard of the manufacturer for the cheaper one before? The integrity and stability isn't probably the best. Wonder if it would be worth it?

24. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I haven't heard of either of the cheaper vendors before. Just based on my own experience, I'd go with OWC or NewEgg.

25. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The only reason I wrote anything was because I was utterly surprised anyone would care if I splurged on RAM. The thread topic was RAM prices dropping and the OP looking forward to buying the upgrade. I simply posted my data and agreed with the price point. Forgive me for editorializing a bit in the process by calling the upgrade "cool".

Nobody at MR would ever think of upgrading their Mac as "cool"... Nope.

And that, is the end of that.

Now, on to seeing $200/4GB in the near future. :)