4Gb in my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rychencop, Feb 16, 2008.

1. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

I received my OWC 2Gb sticks the other day. Installed in my SR MBP with no trouble at all and what a difference it makes. Best $100 upgrade ever! I highly recommend it. :D

2. freitas macrumors member

I found 2G SODIMMs from buffalo on sale at microcenter for $39. I installed two and have had no problems. 4G is great from running virtual machines. I can not believe that Apple is still charging $600 for the BTO upgrade.

M

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

how much RAM do you set aside for running VM? and which OS do you virtualise?

4. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

lol when i was adding 2gigs to my macbook...it took me a good half an hour to get one of the screws out! (yeah the screwdriver was kinda crappy too but still...why do they have to fix em in so damn tight! :confused:)

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I BTO'd mine with the 4GB. Go me!

And I don't think I've ever gone over 2GB in use on it.

Grats on your upgrade :p

6. freitas macrumors member

I am using vmware fusion for virtualization. My wife has parallels. I personaly like fusion but wish it had the feature that allows you to associatie files with windows applications.

I currenlty have two windows VM and an ubuntu 7.10 Desktop VM. I set one windows VM to use 2GB of RAM and the other VMs to run 1GB. I have had all three running simultaneously and did not notice the system being sluggish.

7. freitas macrumors member

Tell me about it. I had a very hard time removing a few of the screws when I did the HD upgrade on my MBP. I almost ruined a couple of the screw heads. Does anyone know where you could buy replacement screws/hardware?

8. rychencop thread starter macrumors 65816

rychencop

yeah...1 of the 3 screws was very tight. i was afraid of tearing it up.

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

cool, i use fusion as well (with Vista 32-bit). :)

10. PeteSky macrumors newbie

Good to know. Can you provide any info on how well OS X on MBP utilizes the 3GB to 4GB memory range?

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

In exactly the same way it utilises the rest. If it needs more it uses it. Of course, if you wouldn't use that much RAM normally anyway then it makes zero difference.

12. rychencop thread starter macrumors 65816

rychencop

The initial loading of programs and such is about the same as with 2Gb, but after that everything loads much much faster. It also comes out of sleep much faster. I don't use too many memory intensive programs, but the ones I do use run much better with the extra 2Gb.

13. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

No doubt that extra RAM is the best bang for your buck. I do a lot of video editing, and the difference in performance is pretty substantial when you bump up the memory to the maximum capacity.

MacDann

14. wildlywicked macrumors newbie

$600/2GB BTO? Try $1000....

The cost to add 2GB at the Australian online store is more than $1000. Converting AU$1030 to US is $905. Before tax its still US$847!!! That's ridiculous considering the product ships from China regardless of where its sold.

15. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

It amazes me that Apple continues to charge exorbitant amounts of money for their RAM, when the market prices are so much lower. I find it difficult to believe that someone who is even a marginally astute shopper would pay the prices they have for RAM.

I don't know what it's like Down Under, but a 1G RAM module for a MBP is under $USD 30 these days.

MacDann

16. rychencop thread starter macrumors 65816

rychencop

i then installed the 2Gb that came with my mbp and installed it into my wifes vista laptop. she only had 1Gb.

17. modesty macrumors member

im kinda miserable with my pro. i feel like i paid way too much for what i could have gotten. the video card is ****, it only supports 3 gig of ram, and i feel like the operating system is a lot more locked down than windows. trying to figure out how to open a ipod shuffle as if its a disk, hopefully im just doing it wrong, because i havent found out how to do it yet. shuffle is so lame how it ties itself to one computer

18. BiggeeC macrumors regular

Well, after much going back and forth....I will be purchasing a MBP very soon. I don't do any video editing, or anything that is processor heavy. The main reason I'm getting the MPB over the MB is because my wife "likes it better". The money isn't a factor, as we have set aside $2000 for a new mac. So, due to the fact that I will only be doing basic apps, internet and such, would I need to upgrade to 4GB? Is it necessary at all? Thanks

--Chris

19. freitas macrumors member

2GB is fine for most casual use. The 4GB upgrade is easy to do and much cheaper than ordering it from Apple. You can always upgrade later if you think it will help. For me I use my laptop for processing data, writing papers and preparing presentations. 4GB allows me to have all my applications loaded. For me the 4GB give a much snappier feel to the laptop when loading apps as compared to my wifes macbook that has 2GB.

Goodl Luck.

20. modesty macrumors member

again, macbook pro only supports 3 gigs of ram

Depending on the configuration of the MacBook Pro you purchased, both memory slots may already be full. The maximum amount of memory you can install in your MacBook Pro is 3 GB (see article 304662; using 1 GB DIMM and 2 GB DIMM in each slot).

thats from the apple website

and if you dont play games or run virtualized vista, 2 gigs is fine

21. freitas macrumors member

Current SR MBPs support 4GB. See this thread for discussion.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=408216

22. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The new Macbook Pros support 4GB of RAM. That is any 2.2 or 2.4ghz MBP will fully support 2-2GB sticks.

Anything before that will only recognize 3.3GB of the 4GB.

23. modesty macrumors member

they should update their website then ;p

in that case, time for me to buy another 2gig of ram

24. rychencop thread starter macrumors 65816

rychencop

it says up to 4Gb for the mbp's.

25. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

If you have the current revision then yes, go get it. If you have one of the MBPs before the 2.2-->2.4-->2.6GHz line up then I think the limit is in fact 3GB.
    Good luck.