Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

193151-fido-leak-16a_425.jpg

Not actual 4GB iPhone pictured.
The possibility of an iPhone with video conferencing is one that people love talking about. Unfortunately, very few reliable rumors have actually suggested that this is a likely feature in the next generation iPhone. BoyGeniusReport continues this theme with their leak of mobile carrier Fido's 2009 roadmap which they are "very far away from being able to confirm". The documents seem to picture a 4GB iPhone with a feature list that includes iChat Video Calling:
The most notable slide has to do with a 4GB iPhone 3G. While there is a huge disclaimer that the image isn’t the device itself, the slide depicts a 4GB iPhone model that will run for $99 and come with quad-band EDGE, tri-band HSDPA, a 2 megapixel shooter and, believe it or not, iChat video calling (oh hi, front-facing camera).
The site is uncertain about the authenticity of the image and takes on some more significance given today's report from Engadget that the iPhone will come in 4GB to 32GB sizes.

Article Link: 4GB iPhone with Video iChat?

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
California
I saw this on Appleinsider. Video chat would be nice, but probably only on WiFi. Imagine the battery suckage on this one.

But 4GB?? Apple, WTF??

Comment

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
As much as I would love to see a front facing camera for video chat (and self-portraits), I highly doubt it will be in the next iPhone.

Comment

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
So they are going to either 1: Add a front facing camera, yet not up the MP on the other camera which seems really weird 2: Expect people to use the regular camera for video calling....I just don't get it

Comment

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I don't know if I would use video chat, but I still want a front facing camera.

Comment

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
4Gb still seems a bit odd to me....

Oh well only about a week to go until we find out!

Comment

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I call fake. I highly doubt Apple will use an iChat feature. I will eat my words if it happens. Till then... fake

Comment

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
The bandwidth for something like video chat simply doesn't exist right now, especially upload speed which is at a premium.

Comment

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I call fake. I highly doubt Apple will use an iChat feature. I will eat my words if it happens. Till then... fake

Yeah has to be fake. Unless Apple figured out how to extend battery life by way of sucking up your own life force to charge the battery. That would be cool, probably need to drink lots of Gatorade to keep from fainting. :p

Comment

andrew0122

macrumors regular
Really. . . I mean . . . Really?!?

Why in the world would they downgrade back to the 4GB iPhone. I mean haven't the prices for flash memory dropped enough for them to at the bare minimum to carry at least 8GB.

I have the 8GB EDGE iPhone and it fills up fast especially with all of the new apps to download. . . UNLESS they are going to go with the rumored difference in software and keep the larger sizes 16 and 32GB versions as the Pro iPhone line. . . I do like the idea of a front facing camera. I really don't think I'd use it personally, but you never know. . .

I know I'm going to get one of the 3rd generation iPhone, but primarily for the fact that they've already said the original iPhone won't be able to send and receive MMS. *(Which REALLY should have been included with the original.) But I also like the idea of an accurate GPS instead of that horrendous cell tower triangulation they use in my iPhone. And Geotagging!

Comment

alphatectz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
New York, NY
I saw this on Appleinsider. Video chat would be nice, but probably only on WiFi. Imagine the battery suckage on this one.

But 4GB?? Apple, WTF??

If this is true about the iChat camera (front facing camera) the battery life on the new iPhone should be great just to keep up with a lot of new features in the 3.0fw plus the new iPhone.

Comment

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
not real!

look, its a picture of a first generation iphone. you can tell because theres no black between the edge of the screen and the bezel on the left and right sides.

thats the end of that rumor

Comment

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
look, its a picture of a first generation iphone. you can tell because theres no black between the edge of the screen and the bezel on the left and right sides.

thats the end of that rumor

The least thing you could do is read the original post when posting on a thread. It clearly states that the photo depicted is not a new iPhone.

Comment

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Yeah has to be fake. Unless Apple figured out how to extend battery life by way of sucking up your own life force to charge the battery. That would be cool, probably need to drink lots of Gatorade to keep from fainting. :p

Maybe it borrows some technology from the 17'' MBP with the rectangular cells and whatnot.

Comment

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
The least thing you could do is read the original post when posting on a thread. It clearly states that the photo depicted is not a new iPhone.

its not even an iphone 3G. its an original iphone. why would they put a picture of an original iphone on there? its not real.

Comment

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
So 4GB to 32GB... Does this mean: 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, and a 32GB?

If so, maybe what they've been saying on some of the rumor mills, may come true: Limited features deactivated/unlocked with hardware in certain model iPhones?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.