4K AirPlay?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jafingi, Sep 23, 2017.

1. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Does anyone know if AirPlay supports 4K streaming from iPhone? Would be so great to watch my videos in the proper resolution.

2. MartyTannen1981 macrumors newbie

3. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

This is because the current iteration of AirPlay is only capable of 1080p. Apple announced AirPlay 2 in June, it appeared in the first 5 betas of iOS 11, then it was pulled, now it is coming in a future iOS 11 update.

AirPlay 2 should be giving us 4K support, I say "should" because apple has removed any references to it, I can't find tech specs on it. No date on when it will be available.

4. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

Does the 4K ATV support 4K AirPlay?

If so. What formats or what’s the max bitrate supported for h.264?

5. priitv8 macrumors 68040

In my experience, it struggles with anything over 50Mbps, at least in H.265.
    Haven't tested the breaking point for H.264 but 139Mbps is definitely too much ;)

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

it's not really scrubbed, it's still mentioned on the iOS 11 and home pod pages

Every reference i've seen to Airplay 2, was only about audio.

it's an updated standard that (i'm guessing) uses a broadcast instead of the multi-cast that Airplay uses.
    it also probably gets rid of the 2 second buffer, now that wireless networks are a little more robust than in 2004 when it was introduced.
    and it will add some control stuff for homekit integration.

it kinda sucks that apple has 3 different things, all named airplay
    - airplay (audio only) - renamed from the original AirTunes
    - airplay (video) - sends a file or web location to the aTV to play
    - airplay (mirroring) - converts the video output to h.264 in real time, and streams that to the aTV.

for airplay to support 4k, they will probably have to change it to h.265. currently only the iPhone 7 and later, and some 2017 macs have hardware support for 265.
    It's like when they announced mirroring, only macs/iOS devices after a certain version supported, because they have the hardware to support real time 264 encoding. otherwise, it's too processor/battery heavy

7. dyzfnctional macrumors regular

Does anyone know if airplay 2 support 4K? So I can get rid of hdmi cables or usbc etc.

8. subjonas macrumors 68000

Sadly, I don’t believe airplay 2 can handle 4K. I read up on it months ago though so I don’t have any links.

Another thing I’m wondering is whether an Apple TV 4K plays a 4K movie in 4K when accessing the movie from one’s computer iTunes movie library. It’s connected over WiFi but isn’t that different from airplay?

9. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

Yes, that is not the same as using AirPlay.

If playing downloaded version over your local network, no, Apple only allows HD version to be downloaded, 4K can only be streamed, so, if playing via iCloud, and 4K version is available, yes.

10. priitv8 macrumors 68040

You could also have your own 4K videos taken with iPhone in your iTunes library. I don't see any reason, why they would not play back in native size over Home Sharing or AirPlay.
    This picture shows my own movie playing back over Home Sharing (pulled from aTV) from my iTunes library.
    I can equally well push it from my iTunes to aTV (AirPlay).
    So I am thinking AirPlay does support 4K.
    [​IMG]

11. subjonas macrumors 68000

As the above poster said, I’m wondering about 4k video that one might have imported into their local iTunes library and home shared to Apple TV. It doesn’t make sense to me that if 4k can be streamed from the internet to one’s router then to one’s Apple TV, it should be just as easy to “stream” 4k from one’s computer to router to Apple TV.

I agree, I don’t see why home sharing shouldn’t be able to support 4k playback, since it uses the same WiFi being used to stream 4k video from say Netflix. But I can’t confirm since I don’t have any 4k content in my iTunes to test and I haven’t been able to find any info online about it. I’m also unsure because airplay reportedly does not support 4k even though it utilizes WiFi (plus Bluetooth). I suppose I could test that to confirm when I get a chance. That’s not to say, a 4k tv may upscale a 4k movie that has been downscaled to 1080p by airplay.

But I guess from your picture, it confirms the 4k source content is being played in actual 4k via home share? I wonder if there’s a chance that iTunes downscaled it and it is being upscaled by the tv though.

12. priitv8 macrumors 68040

If that were the case, Natural Size should show 1080p. Like it does, when you play from your iCloud Photo Library, for example.
    IMHO it shouldn't be that difficult to get 4K movie into your library. Shoot it on your contemporary iPhone or other smartphone, and you're set.

13. subjonas macrumors 68000

Hm yes probably would show 1080. But you said you’re getting 4k via airplay too? That shouldn’t be possible. Everything I read says airplay doesn’t support 4k (4k content is downscaled).

I totally forgot my se supports 4k recording hahah. How do you get those numbers to show on your tv by the way?

14. priitv8 macrumors 68040