4K Apple TV Could Feature A10X Fusion Chip and 3GB of RAM

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming fifth-generation 4K Apple TV will be powered by an A10X Fusion chip and 3GB of RAM, according to details unearthed in the device's firmware.

Developer Steve Troughton-Smith made the claim this morning in a tweet, after going through code in the final software builds that were at the center of a major Apple leak over the weekend.

Apple's current fourth-generation Apple TV, originally released in 2015, runs on an A8 chip coupled with 2GB of RAM. But the boost in performance provided by the A10 series - which also powers the latest iPad Pro models - suggests Apple could see a bigger role for its next set-top box, possibly expanding beyond 4K content.

On the other hand, Troughton-Smith believes Apple may have chosen the A10X Fusion processor to play 4K content at 60 frames per second, which would make sense given that the iPhone X is expected to record 4K video at 60fps.

Even if that is the primary reason for including such a powerful chip in the next Apple TV, users can expect significant performance gains across the board, while tvOS game developers will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect of leveraging the processor's power to create immersive 3D experiences to rival modern console titles.

...I guess three cores would make it the A10X Fusion. Correction! - Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith) September 11, 2017

The 3GB of RAM would bring the extra working memory needed to stream 4K HDR content, which is expected to become available both in the iTunes Store and from third-party content providers, but the additional RAM may also factor into any role the Apple TV has in Apple's augmented reality future plans.

The ARKit developer framework is already turning out to be a major feature of Apple's upcoming iPhone 8 and iPhone X devices, which are set to be announced on Tuesday alongside a new Apple TV and Apple Watch, during a media event at the Steve Jobs Theater in Apple Park, Cupertino. Several details about Apple's iPhone X have already been found in the iOS 11 GM, including information on Face ID setup, [url="http://

Article Link: 4K Apple TV Could Feature A10X Fusion Chip and 3GB of RAM

Reactions: Avieshek

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Apple's upcoming fifth-generation 4K Apple TV will be powered by an A10X Fusion chip and 3GB of RAM, according to details unearthed in the device's firmware.

Apple's current fourth-generation Apple TV, originally released in 2015, runs on an A8 chip coupled with 2GB of RAM.
It would be decent upgrade from previous one + A10 fusion with 3GB RAM will be beast under the hood.
---------------------
Edit : According to Steve T-S it will play 4k 60 FPS videos.

D154A353-0885-4B05-95A6-A774F3EBD536.png

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
It would be decent upgrade from previous one + A10 fusion with 3GB RAM will be beast under the hood.
One would expect an upgrade for 4K content. That's because The extra power will likely be needed if it records 60 frames per second with 4K and 3GB memory for any streaming.

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
I'm scared to see how much this thing cost. We'll find out tomorrow. This could also be an awesome "stealth" casual gaming console like the Switch. 4K Games at 60 FPS. If only mobile games got rid of that fremium crap - I'd rather pay $10 or $13 for a full experience then some freemium crap which is why I stopped getting mobile gaming apps.

Reactions: BryanJ

diamond.g

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2007
Virginia
And we all know this will never happen as the years and hardware generations before clearly have shown.
Yeah you would think they would court developers more if they wanted games. Or pay to exclusively publish a big game, like say Titanfall 3 or get Destiny 2 on it.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2016
This ATV 4K will go head to head with Nvidia Shield TV 2017. Can Apple support 4K streaming formats like h265, dts hdma, dolby atmos inside mp4 container? If no, then Nvidia Shield TV is a simple choice over whatever fluff Apple pulls out of the bag. And I am not interested to play Crossy Road on TV.

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
I would wonder if ISPs are going to do bandwidth caps more so than having fast enough service to stream 4K.
I avg 800gb a month and I'm one person and I don't even think I stream that much - but you download a couple of free games on your console and binge a 4K season and it adds up quickly. There's no way ISPs can survive if they DON'T start doing bandwidth caps and tiers. I'm pleasantly surprised Xfinity hasn't started yet, but I can see them doing it in a few years. I know they are testing it in a few markets.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
I'm scared to see how much this thing cost. We'll find out tomorrow. This could also be an awesome "stealth" casual gaming console like the Switch. 4K Games at 60 FPS. If only mobile games got rid of that fremium crap - I'd rather pay $10 or $13 for a full experience then some freemium crap which is why I stopped getting mobile gaming apps.
Shouldn't be much more than what they are already charging I would think. You have to stay competative in the market.

Reactions: BlueParadox

shaunp

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
I would wonder if ISPs are going to do bandwidth caps more so than having fast enough service to stream 4K.
That's a distinct possibility. As more of us use streaming 4K, put caps in place so they don't have to invest in more infrastructure. I can see those companies with a fast infrastructure (Virgin) capping anything running over IP (ATV, FireTV, etc) in favour of their own 4K services over Tivo.

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
Have to admit I'm interested in this new ATV. Hope price isn't to prohibitive and Apple really push these out.
It's Apple, of COURSE it'll be outrageously expensive compared to its competitors. Roku Premiere +, Chromecast and Amazon Fire TV are under $80. I'd bet the AppleTV will be $250.

alfonsog

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
Xfinity does it to me.. or I can pay an extra $50 for unlimited. I’ve gone over twice but they don’t charge extra until the 3rd time.