4K TV as external Display for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VFRulez, Aug 19, 2017.

1. VFRulez macrumors newbie

Hi,

I intent to get a MacBook Pro 2017 and replace my Desktop Mac with a combo out of the MacBook and an external Display. One of my ideas is to get a 4K TV for this, which would be ideal for having a huge working space and at the same time a TV/Video screen on my desk.

It is my current understanding that a TV for gaming definitely would be to slow, but for normal desktop working, it should be fine. So it would be only important to find a TV with a proper port capable to receive a 4K 60Hz signal.

What do you all think about this? Do you think this could be a feasible option?
    Can you recommend any specific TVs for this?

Thank you!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I haven't tried it, but others have.

I think you'd need at least:
    - a 40-43" screen
    - an HDMI 2.0 port (on the tv)
    - the proper cable/adapter (USB-c to HDMI 2.0)
    - a "high-speed" HDMI cable.

Then, you'd want to run it in "non-HiDPI" mode.

3. burritolove macrumors member

i bought a 49" TCL 4k hdr set from costco for less than $350 (there is a 43" as well) and used it with my 2017 MBP, it works flawless with a hdmi 2 cable at 60hz. i used an adapter that states proper 4k 60hz output, alot of them do not hit 60hz. the 60hz makes a huge difference, i see no lag with my setup, according to rtings.com the tcl is quite good as a pc monitor. 4;4;4 4k hdr works perfect, i've even gamed on it using CSGO and its very usable. i have since though bought a 38" ultrawide instead, the 49" was great but a bit too big, using it for xbox instead.