Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenbee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2015
My old Panasonic 50 inch Plasma is dead. I have an Apple TV 4k. I'm interested in replacing the TV with something 4K and maybe 55-65 inches. The apple TV is my primary source. I have directv, but I like using the Apple TV much more. I'm looking for something that I can maximize the apple tv 4k features. Budget within the $1000 range. I'm thinking about Samsung, Sony, or LG. Thanks!

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Screen size, resolution and viewing distance are interrelated.
8K%20RESOLUTION%20DISPLAYS%20WORTH%20IT%20CHART%20%28hi-res%29.jpg

So if you look for a 55” 4K screen, you should be sitting 1..2m away from it, to see increased pixel density.
The discussion can be followed in another forum here.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
You should look at sets with HDR.
the difference is amazing

from my experience, 4k to 4k HDR is almost as big if not a bigger change than 1080 to 4K
the colors pop, lots of details appear in the "shadows" of the image that just look like a black hole in SDR.
Plus it can get brighter, not only are there more steps (helps with the banding you see in shots of the sky or underwater) but it has a larger range. An image of bright sunlit window in a dark room is very bright just like real life.

I just searched and the current model of the LG - OLED B8 55" is on new egg for $1,050.

OLED is currently the best picture out there, and is closer to the plasma you're used to.

OLED's pixels light up, like the plasma's
LED and QLED have a backlight, and then use a "LCD shutter" to make black.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I'm with waw74 on this one! Once you've seen OLED, you'll never go back to LCD.
The LG B8 is a true bargain.
We went for a TV with Dolby Vision as it made true sense to us due to us using Apple TV 4K and iTunes for everything and of course the H U G E amount of Dolby Vision films on offer there! Heck, even my iPhone X and iPad Pro support Dolby Vision and both look radiant!

IMO and experience, OLED for the big screen is wonderful. You might find that the B8 drops even further in price. One thing to bear in mind is that LG plan on launching 48" OLED TVs this year. Also the new range due anytime soon will feature TWO very important future proof options - HDMI 2.1 and 120fps compatible - my guess is that the next Apple TV 4K will feature its UI in 120fps along with games for the Apple Arcade AND it will have HDMI 2.! will will prevent the black screen during MATCH changing - something that Apple wants.

Reactions: rbrian

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
You should look at sets with HDR.
the difference is amazing

from my experience, 4k to 4k HDR is almost as big if not a bigger change than 1080 to 4K
the colors pop, lots of details appear in the "shadows" of the image that just look like a black hole in SDR.
Plus it can get brighter, not only are there more steps (helps with the banding you see in shots of the sky or underwater) but it has a larger range. An image of bright sunlit window in a dark room is very bright just like real life.

I just searched and the current model of the LG - OLED B8 55" is on new egg for $1,050.

OLED is currently the best picture out there, and is closer to the plasma you're used to.

OLED's pixels light up, like the plasma's
LED and QLED have a backlight, and then use a "LCD shutter" to make black.

I paid £1980 for my LG OLED B7 55", and its worth every penny. If you can get a newer model for half the price, it's a steal!

HDR makes things look almost real, I keep wanting to reach out and touch the picture, until I remember it's a TV. 3D TVs promised this kind of near reality, but didn't deliver. HDR does.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I second OLED, especially if you’re coming from a Plasma. IMO, HDR/Dolby Vision is a change almost on the level of VHS to DVD way more important than 4K.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Budget within the $1000 range. I'm thinking about Samsung, Sony, or LG. Thanks!
As much as I like Sony, they have a major panel problem at this point. All their panels, TV and projectors are degrading. So I'd stay away at this point or buy a model that is known to be fixed. They've always had these issues from time to time. Back in the rear-projection days I had a 70" Sony SXRD, which had a major color shift after 3 or 4 years. Sony quoted around $1k to replace the optical block. I ended up buying a 65" Panasonic instead, which I gave to my parents 2 or 3 years later and bought something bigger.
Samsung is a good choice, so is Panasonic. For LG stick to their OLEDs, but be aware there's still a burn in issue if you use it as a everyday TV. If you're just using it for movies, you should be fine. Shadow detail is also so so and with every manufacturer, you're always playing the panel lottery.

If you don't need all the smart apps, check out TCL/Vizio if you're in the US. Their panels are top notch performers and give all major manufacturers a run for the money. TCL is the only manufacturer that can do around 90% BT2020 coverage on one of their models (not sure if it's available yet, they showed it at CES or Cedia, can't remember exactly).

We went for a TV with Dolby Vision as it made true sense to us due to us using Apple TV 4K and iTunes for everything and of course the H U G E amount of Dolby Vision films on offer there!
You are aware that Dolby Vision is limited to 10-bit and static meta data right now, right? That's exactly what HDR10 does. The advantage of Dolby Vision is the ability to do 12-bit with dynamic meta data in the future.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
As much as I like Sony, they have a major panel problem at this point. All their panels, TV and projectors are degrading. So I'd stay away at this point or buy a model that is known to be fixed. They've always had these issues from time to time. Back in the rear-projection days I had a 70" Sony SXRD, which had a major color shift after 3 or 4 years. Sony quoted around $1k to replace the optical block. I ended up buying a 65" Panasonic instead, which I gave to my parents 2 or 3 years later and bought something bigger.
Samsung is a good choice, so is Panasonic. For LG stick to their OLEDs, but be aware there's still a burn in issue if you use it as a everyday TV. If you're just using it for movies, you should be fine. Shadow detail is also so so and with every manufacturer, you're always playing the panel lottery.

If you don't need all the smart apps, check out TCL/Vizio if you're in the US. Their panels are top notch performers and give all major manufacturers a run for the money. TCL is the only manufacturer that can do around 90% BT2020 coverage on one of their models (not sure if it's available yet, they showed it at CES or Cedia, can't remember exactly).

You are aware that Dolby Vision is limited to 10-bit and static meta data right now, right? That's exactly what HDR10 does. The advantage of Dolby Vision is the ability to do 12-bit with dynamic meta data in the future.

To my eyes, it looks stunning! I have no interest in technology specs - just how it performs in real life!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Use rtings.com.

An OLED is going reproduce the brightness and contrast ratio you are used to with your old Plasma.

I would be tempted to wait it out for Samsung's MicroLED as it is sounding like best of all worlds.

For an LCD/LED, budget shopping... refer to rtings.com
Make sure proper RGB and not* WRGB.
Decide what level of 10bit processing, HDR, etc you want if any.

Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
As much as I like Sony, they have a major panel problem at this point. All their panels, TV and projectors are degrading. So I'd stay away at this point or buy a model that is known to be fixed.
What kind of problems?
If there is one general rule about Sony products - steer clear of their budget models and aim for the upper shelves. In terms of Bravia TV's it generally means no less than 9-series. Alright, 8-series for OLED is also ok.
Do you have any evidence to support these statements? Especially the one about static metadata?
If that's the case, then why does Dolby bother to encode a full feature-length separate (enhancemet) video track onto the bluray? Sounds like a big waste of space and resources to me.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
What kind of problems?
Contrast drops, colors shift over time. Depends really on the panel and model. OLED models are not affected by this. It's also not a matter of price, the $60k VW5000 had the problem as well, they've fixed it on this particular model though (at least thats what they say, no one knows if it will show up in two or three years). I wouldn't buy a used one or a demo unit though.

Do you have any evidence to support these statements?
That horse is so dead... has been discussed all over the place at last years IBC. Source is a UHD forums research consultant and it's been confirmed by Philips and other manufacturers. I wasn't the only one that got the same information: https://dci-forum.com/d-cinema-hi-end-cinema-home/11/dazzled-name-like-dolby-vision/3135/
If you don't believe it, contact the technical consultant of manufacturers, studios or speak to people at IBC in september. Just don't talk to marketing people, they don't like to hear it. :p

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Contrast drops, colors shift over time. Depends really on the panel and model. OLED models are not affected by this. It's also not a matter of price, the $60k VW5000 had the problem as well, they've fixed it on this particular model though (at least thats what they say, no one knows if it will show up in two or three years). I wouldn't buy a used one or a demo unit though.
That's why I say - only top of the line from their palettes. My 850C developed a tint on one edge. Current Z9D has been solid.
That horse is so dead... has been discussed all over the place at last years IBC. Source is a UHD forums research consultant and it's been confirmed by Philips and other manufacturers. I wasn't the only one that got the same information: https://dci-forum.com/d-cinema-hi-end-cinema-home/11/dazzled-name-like-dolby-vision/3135/
If you don't believe it, contact the technical consultant of manufacturers, studios or speak to people at IBC in september. Just don't talk to marketing people, they don't like to hear it. :p
Thank you for the hint, I hope I will learn something from this.
Just out of own experience, on my screen, I see no difference between HDR10 and DoVi, that were worth mentioning. The buzz around DoVi has been disproportionately big compared to difference in image quality.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Read it. I can see that he complains about the incapability of current hardware to reach the set limits of the standard. That is true.
I still would like to hear why does he say "LG can neither process nor display genuine Dolby Vision!". Neither brings he any supporting facts about it.
I also would like to know more about the statement of DoVi being static. If I look at the enhancement track on a bluray, I can definitely see, that the image is dynamic, not static:
Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 00.39.10.png
Obviously, it is not so easily observable in a single-layer streaming format of DoVi.
If that were full scam just to fool stupid consumers, then I wonder why put so much effort into producing it?

Last edited:

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I would recommend a tv with dolby vision. In your price range I would like at vizio. They really do make some of the best TV's out there and are the most underrated. Especially when you look at the quantum and upcoming quantum X TV's. I have an OLED myself but I think that's out of the price you listed.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My old Panasonic 50 inch Plasma is dead. I have an Apple TV 4k. I'm interested in replacing the TV with something 4K and maybe 55-65 inches. The apple TV is my primary source. I have directv, but I like using the Apple TV much more. I'm looking for something that I can maximize the apple tv 4k features. Budget within the $1000 range. I'm thinking about Samsung, Sony, or LG. Thanks!
Vizio P series , 65”, 4k, 240 hz refresh, $900 at Costco if they are not sold out. Great picture!

greenbee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2015
I got the LG B8 55inch OLEF on July 4th from Best Buy, heck of a deal at $999. Thanks for the recommendations!

Reactions: Michelasso

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I got the LG B8 55inch OLEF on July 4th from Best Buy, heck of a deal at $999. Thanks for the recommendations!

Good choice. That 's what I'd like to buy myself, too bad I'm short on money. No more worries about the stupid lack of blacks and awful contrast even in more expensive televisions. At a great price.

retiredatty

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2018
north carolina
[doublepost=1566243599][/doublepost]I have the 55” and 65” 9000 LG pua series. Got the 65 this year on sale at BB for around $1000. Best TVs I ever bought

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.