4K TVs and Next Gen Media

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Huntn, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I saw a large screen 4k TV at the store yesterday and was "wow". The question is where are you going to come up with a 4k feed or media? Maybe it's better to wait until 4k media becomes more common and inevitable lower 4K TV prices. Currently I don't think I even get 1080 from my cable provider, Suddenlink. My other concern is I still have an excessive collection of DVDs and am concerned the new players will longer be DVD compatible. I prefer to own physical media, not own movies sitting in the cloud associated with one particular provider.

4K Blu-ray discs arriving in 2015 to fight streaming media

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm waiting on 8k!
    But yes the availability of content is the big issue with 4k screens.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Until sports are broadcasting in 4k, it's not going anywhere.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

To be honest, I think distribution on physical media is dying a slow death. We're likely heading towards a system where the consumer purchases a license to watch a stream. The owners and distributors have much more control this way.

Physical media may get a brief bump with this 4k stuff, but only until bandwidth catches up.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You are probably right, but I will resist while I can. I'm very much against buying a streaming license from a single provider. I wonder what will happen the first time a company decides to get out of the streaming business? I assume it would sell it's licensees to another company, but would there be any guarantees? I think not. I believe this is an area in need of Federal regulation.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't buy anything 4K until they set the standards later this year. The current TV's not might be the 4k standard going forward.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well, I agee here. I don't consume much TV or Movies, but I'm still not thrilled at the direction I expect things to head.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I buy a lot of box sets second hand. Never had an issue, and you can pick them up cheap. If you sell them on when your done, it can cost you less than a months subscription to Netflix.