4S is the perfect upgrade. (sorta)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewskyle, Oct 7, 2011.

1. matthewskyle macrumors member

People get to bent out of shape about this upgrade crap. If you have a 3GS, then the 4GS is "your" upgrade. It's the middle ground between the 4 and 5. Those with the 4 will get a full upgrade to the 5 and in turn having a phone slightly better than those who just bought the 4S. Then rinse and repeat. And if your that person who went out and got the 3G -> 3GS -> 4 and now all of a sudden your pissed, well that's not Apple's fault in my book.

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Yeah, It is a little out of hand.

People are complaining about how they can't upgrade, Due to their 2 year contract.

…Not Apple's fault.

3. applefan289 macrumors 68000

iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S is IMO a big upgrade. And who cares if it has the same look and design as the previous iPhone? It doesn't matter! It's a huge upgrade internally!

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

One upside of the "s" models is that they are the 2nd generation of the hardware. Usually they have worked-out some bugs (antenna?) and improved slightly.

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Getting the 4S and then upgrading to the 5 regardless of cost. There's always a way :)

6. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Agreed 100%. People don't seem to understand that for some reason. They just look at the shell.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well nothing is stopping people from getting the no committment iphone

8. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I can understand the disappointment that some feel. I think that given the extra 4 months, a lot of people had expectations that might have been a little unrealistic. I was certainly hoping to see a different form factor, bigger screen, and NFC, but really it's still a pretty sweet phone.

If I couldn't do the upgrade swap with my wife, I'd probably skip this one, or even check out android. But the ecosystem with icloud an iPad, and 2 iPhones is somewhat compelling.

I'm excited about a newer and faster phone, and I've yet to see another phone that offers enoug to pull me away from what I've invested in iOS (in terms of apps).

I would bet money that the next iPhone will be a redesign with a bigger screen (or an option for a bigger screen), NFC, LTE, etc. It'll probably also include a major redesign of iOS to handle the different resolutions available.

9. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

This.

It really is, in my eyes, the biggest iPhone to next generation iPhone upgrade there's ever been, just no actual case upgrade. If you compare the 3GS to the 4, and the 4 to the 4S, there's actually more things changed to the 4S from the 4 than from the 3GS to the 4, just no case redesign. I wasn't even expecting this much of an upgrade, however, I would have loved to see 1GB RAM but I'm thinking they kept it 512MB.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha I disagree

You had a bigger jump from the 3gs to the 4

11. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

People I give you the best advice, always sell your iPhone on craigslist about a month or so prior to the release, wether it's 16 or 32 gb, you can sell it for at least $350-$550, use a dumb phone for that time who cares, it's only a short time, than you have enough money to cover the new iPhone, if you're eligible you will actually make money out of this process, if not than you might shell out $50 or so out of your pocket or mybe not, which in my opinion is worth the upgrade...anyone agree?

12. rywat macrumors member

I remember when the 3gs came out and people were so disappointed that the form factor didn't change. I remember thinking they were crazy, because the increased speed of the device was in my mind the biggest possible type of upgrade, and sure enough it was a huge improvement and very well worth it.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Every year it's the same thing. Waaahhh! I can't upgrade because I signed a 2 year contract to buy a subsidized phone! Waaahhh!

Year after year.

14. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

Look at that. Processor upgrade, Siri, camera upgrade, video upgrade, slight battery upgrade in talk time, but not in standby time, and the data speed upgrade which is pretty much what other companies are calling 4G. I could also throw Bluetooth 4.0 in there, but I think this is more of a minor upgrade, though it is one.

That's 6 upgrades, 7 including Bluetooth. From 3GS to 4, you've got a processor upgrade, camera upgrade, video upgrade, FaceTime, Retina Display, and battery.

That's 6...so they tie, or from 3GS to 4 loses by 1. And the case redesign.

That's where I was going with that, it really is as big of an upgrade and with faster graphics and data speeds and the dual core processor, I personally think it's a bigger upgrade.

Exactly. That's what this phone will be as well, but even more so because of the multiple upgrades I just listed up top.

15. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i'm that person, but i'm only pissed because i can't buy the unlocked version yet ;)

16. aluren macrumors 65816

You forgot the gyroscope and ram...

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and front facing camera, gyroscope, better gps, more ram, etc and I know I am forgetting things from the 3gs to 4. Kinda changes your numbers...if you weight them all equally of course