4S jailbreak. What is the biggest hurdle so far?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Will69, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Will69 macrumors regular

Does the 4S have qualities that make it more difficult to jailbreak?

What is the typical time from new release to jb?

I feel like with iOS 5 being released so close to the 4S, that hackers are split between different tasks. (oh and add the iPad2 to that)

I love the 4S but really miss my SBSettings.

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i believe since it has the newer A5 chip, its different than anytime before. pretty much had to start from scratch. just pray they do get a untether jb and release to us.

they don't have too.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

4. Will69 thread starter macrumors regular

Patient or not, there are technical hurdles in getting the JB. Just wondering what they are.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Will say it once more... No hurdles...They are working on it and it will be release when it's ready, just as it had been since the beginning. They already got the JB done, all the technical part is done, now they are packaging, testing it to make sure doesn't break other stuff and waiting for 5.0.1 to be release. no hurdles.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

for there to be a hurdle there would of had to be an expectation of when it should of been completed

with patience you would not have an expected completion date

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

They are waiting on Apple to release 5.0.1. If they release it now, Apple will patch it in the update. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Apple came out with 5.0.2 a couple of weeks after 5.0.1 to patch it.

8. solo118 macrumors 65816

My thinking is that they will release it when its the right time. Like others said here Apple will be updating to 5.0.1 soon, so if they release the JB soon then everyone will beg and plead for a JB for 5.0.1

For the time being I hope everyone is enjoying their 4S like I am! Hopefully soon we will all get to have SBSettings, Lockinfo, My3G and more on our beloved 4S!

9. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    yep - but the halo around my head is fading! :p

prays for JB soon

10. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

11. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Concur! Apple's Lock Screen notifications sux!!! :( None of the weather apps I find that work with notification centre, none of them will work on the lock screen even with 'show on lock screen' enabled! :( Same with calendar.... I did find some third party task managers though that DO work... but they are stand alone, meaning no syncing with iCloud. Lock Info was great because it pulled your actual calendar entries!

12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Amen :(

13. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

+1 I miss it EVERY time I want to send a TEXT!!!! :(

14. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Still using 4.3.3, far to much to loose and a pain at the moment with 5.x. :/

15. iNipponRyan97 macrumors newbie

iNipponRyan97

The only hurdle for the iPhone 4S jailbreak (and the iPad 2 for that matter) is the A5 chip. The A5 chip has different files, which need a different exploit. Also the A5 chip fixes the SHSH blobs bug, meaning you can't downgrade if anything happens or if you want a different jailbreak, or if an exploit is patched. I think a jailbreak has been released, but the dev team will not release it until they are at a proper firmware update, that way the exploit won't be patched until the update after and you will get the features on that update, like 5.0.1 fixes the battery issues for the iPhone 4S. If they would of released the exploit before that it would of been patched, meaning you couldn't get the patch.

16. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

sounds good....so tiny umbrella is defunct? or at least for any new jb's?

17. Will69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for that answer. I have no idea why other posters chose to answer this thread with "be patient" or "don't call it a hurdle". Ugh.

Explain what you meant by shsh blobs. I didn't get what you meant about downgrades.

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i doubt it the devs dont care about it being patched after its released they always warn dont upgrade untill we have a chance to test the exploits when a 5.0.1(for instance) is released.

Also they had months even before the release or iOS 5.0 to work on the A5 in the ipad 2, they are working on it be patient

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

First SHSHs have NOTHING..... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the A5 chip...and second the way the did it before it was NOT a "bug".

20. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.

well said matey!

but, you gotta love the newbs for trying - bless

21. mrCide macrumors member

Why do people try to explain things they have no clue about..

22. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Actually, there is only a tethered JB right now. They are working on an untethered one but it isn't finished yet. They have, as of yesterday, overcome the biggest hurdle though. They found a way to break in to the 4S and iPad 2. Now they just need to program their code so as to deliver the payload. That'll take time, and even when it is done, they will have to test for bugs and iron them out. So don't expect an untethered JB anytime soon.

23. iNipponRyan97, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

iNipponRyan97 macrumors newbie

iNipponRyan97

The A5 chip patches the bug that lets you downgrade using SHSH blobs that you've saved. So if you ever updated to an iOS version that patched the exploit you'd be stuck without a jailbreak. So the dev team is staying quiet and waiting for the proper version of iOS 5 (5.0.1, 5.1) to release the exploit and jailbreak. This also only applies to people who have the iPhone 4S or iPad 2. Anyone with an older iDevice that's still supported A.K.A the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3G/4G, or iPad is alright.

Also, there will probably be no fix for this patch as it is going to be hard to patch a chip like the A5. The exploits usually only use the RAM and SSD flash memory chip to jailbreak. The RAM for Cydia and its tweaks speed usage and the SSD flash memory for well space for downloads.

I'm glad to have answered your questions!

24. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Ok...i am going to try one more time...

SHSHs...had NOTHING>>>> ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the processor...A4, A5, Pentium, X386...NOTHING... the A5 didn't patch anything to do with SHSHs.

The Bootrom on the A5 doesn't have the same exploits as the bootrom on the A4, and that is a giving since it is a new chip it had to have a different boot image. again totally unraled with how the SHSHs works on iOS5

Also the way we were able to save the SHSHs.was not using a Bug....at all, SHSHs were working as intended, we jut figure out how they did it and leach the system. No Bugs.....

Do you know what SHSH Blobs are???