4S or 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Biolizard, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Yup, you read that title right.

The reason is that I'm looking for a new iPhone for my mum. She currently has my old iPhone 3G (I'm still rocking my 4S for another year), but her eyes are going downhill and I think a retina display would really help her out.

Alas my 4S is a bit beat up and I've used the battery on it way more than I did my 3G, so I don't want to give it to her and would rather buy new instead.

So, what phone to get? I already know she doesn't like the 5C colours (neither do I tbh), so we're left with the 4S or the 5S.

She doesn't use apps or Safari right now (with a better phone she might use simple ones like for the weather or public transport), or listen to music really, so I think the £549 16GB 5S is way overkill for her needs (I fear she'd also tell me to turn around and take it back and never spend that much on her again!). On the other hand, the 4S 8GB at £349 isn't the greatest value when compared with other models.

Still, thought I'd get the opinion of the community. Is there any compelling reason for a light iPhone user to upgrade to a 5S rather than a 4S for a phone that will hopefully see 3, maybe 4 years of use? (bear in mind the battery will go downhill through use regardless so it's not even like the 5S could be kept for a lot longer than the 4S I think).

Note: These are unlocked phones, her SIM-only contract amounts to £10 a month, so the contract is entirely irrelevant; there's no subsidy or anything like that which would make the better phone worthwhile on a cost basis.

2. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Get her the 4S. As far as your mother is concerned, you should be shopping more for practicality than value. She'll be thrilled with the 4S, I think. It sounds like most of what makes the 5s worth the purchase she wouldn't benefit that much from.

3. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Fo her needs i would go with the 4.
    Cheaper and has retina display. You can find them in great conditions.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you know that she will reject the 5S due to cost, then go with the 4S. It is a great phone even today.

You say she doesn't use apps, so that means, that updating to the latest OS version is irrelevant. That means that iPhone OS 7 will run smooth as it does now. No lagging that might make the experience bad.

5. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

You could get her a used 4S for much less. As long as it doesn't have too much wear, you can replace the back cover and the battery for cheap cheap cheap and it'll basically be brand new. Either way, I'd go with a 4S. It's fast enough that it'll be able to stay up to date for a few years and has everything she'll need.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

^+1 4s.

Has she even seen the 5s GOLD? may go well with her jewerly.

7. Biolizard thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. Was definitely leaning towards the 4S anyway but you all make good points. Cheers.

8. stringent macrumors 6502

stringent

How about a 5? Get more life out of it. Bigger screen. Could probably find somewhere that has them still.

9. Gotoma macrumors member

If she doesn't use apps and her eyes are getting tired why not get her a big android/wp8 phone ?

10. kh3khalid macrumors regular

+1 .. I was going to suggest the same thing.

A Samsung Galaxy S3 would suit her needs and you'll be able to find plenty of good deals/prices.

11. farmD macrumors member

Since she's straining her eyes, why not get her the new nexus 5?

Bigger screen with 445 ppi which will be better on her eyes. And the cost is only $350 before tax.