4S screen + polarized sunglasses = crap.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 15, 2011.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I mentioned this in another thread but it bears repeating. They've changed something about the glass between the 4 and 4S.

With my polarized sunglasses and a Power Support Anti Glare HD film, the iPhone 4 looked the same at any angle. With the same glasses and same screen protector, the 4S has a terrible blue-green tint in the vertical position, with pink and yellow diagonal streaks. It's somewhat lessened in landscape, but there's a magenta cast.

The screen looks ok only when held at a 40 degree angle. And the worst part is that it looks better overall (but still discolored) with NO screen protector.

2. DoubleSh0t macrumors member

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Do you have the white iPhone?

There's an extra coating on the white glass to stop the sun from fading it.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I vote for removing your sunglasses. Although it is weird because I have tried this already and thought the same thing.

5. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

It happens to a lot of phones, Hell, my Evo(s) did the same thing, as well as on my mothers BlackBerry Torch.

6. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

They're prescription sunglasses, but thanks for playing. And I don't understand why an upgraded phone needs to have downgraded glass.

7. Jody macrumors regular

The change in the way the filter on the glass interacts with your polarized lenses does not mean "downgraded" glass.

8. poemteegra macrumors newbie

9. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok bad choice of words. It's a downgraded experience.

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Do you know the tech behind polarization?

This is completely normal as you are on letting in one plane of light.

And I am pretty sure your iphone isn't the only device/screen that has this effect. When I wear polized glasses, I get it on my car's gauges/clock/etc., windows, etc.

Have you tried it without the screen protector? Maybe the screen protector is causing the problem.

11. jjlannoo Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Polarized sunglasses make many types of lcds look like crap. I would skip em on your next pair. They dont help much anyways

12. spiffy05 macrumors member

Is the screen protector neccessary for you? I haven't used a screen protector since my first gen iPod touch. I just found it took away from the 'feel' of the glass.

And quite honestly, my old 3gs phone has been up against some pretty tough stuff, but the glass still looks fine.

13. Kraznoff macrumors member

r/firstworldproblems

You should've thought of that before getting the polarized coating on your glasses. You're going to have a lot of problems with electronic displays, not just your iphone.

14. troop231 macrumors 603

They help greatly when fishing..

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Hmm noticed this too. Sucks because I wear my Nike sunglasses literally everywhere.

Ive also noticed (without glasses on) with the black iPhone 4S when you tilt it to the left and hold it down a little at an angle, the screen looks dark yellow.

Same with my girlfriends white iP4.

16. googull macrumors newbie

googull

AGREE -Experience with 4s screen under polarized glasses is crap

I have my sunglasses on and the screen on my new 4s looks very dark (almost unreadable). Turn the phone landscape and my view brightens full. I removed the screen protector - no change. I fetched my wife's iPhone 4 and it displays full brightness regardless of orientation. I can only conclude that Apple has added a polarizing filter to the front of the LCD. I am disappointed as i wear Rx polarized sunglasses regularly. Not sure how missed this new "feature".

Yes my phone is white but i just dropped in to verify the same on a black 4s at the ATT store.

17. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

You all understand how polarized glass works?

Then understand how LCD works?

Put the two together and the things are NOT going to work well.

18. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Already pretty much been said but it's just one of them things. I wear polarised glasses for pretty much any outdoor activity as my eyes suck at bright/daylight vision. For my phone just take them off!

19. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

exactly. have you tried looking at a LCD TV with polarized glasses and tilting your head side to side?

20. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I don't have any. But I have been to the museum of science, they had all kinds of stuff like that set up.

On another thought if you turn the phone you might find an angle that sort of works.

21. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Dear God, are you serious? This is all you have to whine about? I have a Nikon D3S that does the same thing because of the optics. Should I write Nikon and tell them that I having a bad "experience" because of a natural coating process? Really dude? Seriously? Take the phone back and get one with a gray scale screen and be happy.

22. MisterDisney, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Is this thread full of genius irony or just idiocy, sorry can't tell..

Anyway. So that this is slightly more than what it may appear as, bashing or whatever.. I can tell you that there is absolutely no appreciable difference between using my sunglasses with my iPhone 4 and 4S. I always thought it was a cool, if unusable, effect. I'd ditch the superfluous screen protector and get your prescription in a regular pair of glasses (e.g. for indoor use).

23. fjrabon macrumors regular

hmm, weird. I haven't really noticed this with my ray ban predator and aviators, both of which are polarized. But I also don't have a screen protector and I have a black iPhone 4S.

Is yours white? like others have said, the coating on those are slightly different to prevent UV damage to the white paint.

24. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It's funny because there is a sunglasses ad on the bottom for me

25. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I have the same problem. Fortunately I only need the sunglasses outdoors, and I can always ask siri to do stuff for me if I can see the screen. :D