Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Has anything changed with Verizon's ability to have voice and data on the 4S? Or is their network still limited?

fjk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Well, VZW did introduce changes to their network known as SVDO which allows simultaneous voice and data... the HTC Thunderbolt takes advantage of this.

Dyspareunia

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Southern California
Since we are on this topic, does Sprint have any advantage here over Verizon with regards to the whole CDMA issue with no simultaneous data and voice on the iPhone 4S?

Sadly AT&T's network has gotten worse the last 6 months where I live, to the point where I'll have to switch over to either Verizon or Sprint, but the whole non-simultaneous data and voice is a turn-off. If the iPhone 4S can take advantage of the SVDO network improvements, then this is all a non-issue.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Has anything changed with Verizon's ability to have voice and data on the 4S? Or is their network still limited?

No, nothing changed. You won't be able to call and surf at the same time.

Well, VZW did introduce changes to their network known as SVDO which allows simultaneous voice and data... the HTC Thunderbolt takes advantage of this.

I don't know if the COMM chip in the new iPhone supports this yet. If it did, Apple would have made a special slide taunting this, and so would Verizon in their page by now.

paul4538

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
No, nothing changed. You won't be able to call and surf at the same time.

I don't know if the COMM chip in the new iPhone supports this yet. If it did, Apple would have made a special slide taunting this, and so would Verizon in their page by now.

I don't know about that, Verizon has not yet put any 4S advertising on their website, so we'll see, though would surprise me it it does have it, they spent no time talking about Carriers in the presentation, the Sprint release basically was just "Hey you can get on Sprint too". Very understated for an Apple release

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.