4S - Weird Noise When Tapping It

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fissure, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Fissure macrumors 6502

Hold the bottom of the phone with two fingers, along the side bands.
    Tap the rear of the phone on or above the Apple logo with a finger on your other hand. With my 4S it sounds like something is loose. Thought maybe it was one of the 4 buttons (sleep, vols, silent) but I put pressure on those while tapping and same sound. Then bought maybe it was the internal vibe motor. I started the motor while tapping, same sound when it was running.

Any ideas? Does your 4 or 4S do this?

2. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Umm.. Stop tapping it. Or, If you are have that bad of OCD, then go to Apple.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

been discussed here several times. it appears to either be a component of the camera or the new vibration mechanism.

4. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Yeah, I have this too. Another thing, is that in the home button, you can actually feel the spring sometimes. It's interesting

5. Captain America macrumors 6502

I noticed that in the iPhone 4. Maybe even in the 3GS, can't remember. Don't worry, it isn't a defect unless it's worse than what 99% of us hear. It used to worry me too at first. I then found it's just the way it is.

6. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Problem solved!

7. Fissure thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, ok.. then I guess it's by design, or inadvertent by Apple at the least....
    Not something I would think Apple would overlook.

Is this the same as in the iPhone 4?

----------

Ok, my 3GS did it but it was because the volume and mute buttons became loose over time.

8. cababah macrumors 68000

Go to the Apple store and compare with those ones. I went yesterday and tapped 8-10 iPhone 4S's and they all had a rattle noise when tapped near the back by the camera module. That tells me it is normal.

9. Captain America macrumors 6502

This.

10. ijohnbro macrumors regular

I don't have the iPhone, but my phone doesn't really have this problem. I should know because I too tap my phone several times a day and have ever since I got the phone in May. I hope to get my meds for OCD so the tapping will end, until then I'm just tapping away.

11. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Don't tap it...

Why do people constantly keep tinkering with the iPhone in unusual ways just to whine about something they find abnormal?

12. cababah macrumors 68000

All I know is that I have 3 Apple stores close to me and I have been to each one and played with the iPhone 4S's in the stores and they all have the camera rattle. It is as normal as it gets, I don't know what more you want. NOT having the sound when you tap it is actually more of an "abnormality." That was one area where I saw almost complete consistency.

Now the screen tints...that is another story.

13. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

My girlfriend make a weird noise when I tap her too:confused:

14. Gus999 macrumors newbie

Gus999

Thanks for posting this thread. I just got an iPhone 4S today and noticed the rattle and was wondering about it.

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I have an annoying rattle too. Its the sleep wake button. Everytime I set the phone down you can hear it. When I hold down the sleep wake button, the rattle stops.

16. kevintech macrumors 6502

Yep she made a weird noise when I tapped her too

17. andyx3x macrumors 65816

One of my friends who doesn't have an iPhone laughs his ass off when I tell him about these types of threads where people invent things in their own mind to find a defect with their phone. He's started having me forward them to him.

18. Stealthipad, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

iPhone owners ar the only ones that I know who taps on their phone to hear something loose.

You can bet that Apple will have a butt load of refurbs VERY soon, if not already!

19. xpipe macrumors regular

I believe this is the case. It's like that on my 4 and 4s.

20. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

its either the sleep wake button, or an internal ribbon slapping against something metal.

i've opened iphones for repair, and usually that is the case

21. Locodice macrumors regular

I think you'll find the "rattle" is the focus of the camera.

To test this open up the camera app and tap to focus on something far from the phone, now tap the corner the phone and you will see the "rattle" is gone.

22. calvy macrumors 65816

this is totally normal. I went through it with my first iPhone 4 as well. Took it the genius bar to have it looked at, etc. Moral of the story is don't worry about it. It's the focus ring of the camera lens, as mentioned, and possibly the vibrate motor inside the housing, so don't worry about it. Because if you insist on making it an issue, you will never been happy with the iPhone 4S, as they all do it.

23. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

You must be hung like a squirrel to be able to tap your 4s!

24. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Mine has this too. Could it be the vibration parts? I don't even have to tap it. I happens when I put it down.

25. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Same here. Even when I hardly set the phone down, it rattles. This is normal?