4th Gen iPhone..AT&T or Verizon? Your Opinion ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by astonecold83, Jul 24, 2009.

?

Which carrier will you choose for Gen 4 iPhone

1. AT&T

112 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Verizon

46 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. I don't care

35 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. astonecold83 macrumors member

Ok.....I figured I start a poll with this. I did some searching and couldn't find anything with poll so here it is.
    We all know there is a 4th Gen iPhone in the works but what we don't know is which carrier it might be on since the rumour is out there that Verizon could carry the iPhone in 2010.
    I honestly have to say that I like AT&T and being a loyal customer for over 7 years and I'm not thinking about switching anytime soon so I would like to see the iPhone stay with AT&T.

That's my opinion.....what's yours ? :D

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Why Verizon? Sprint, T-Mobile, Altell (if it's still a company) could all be serious options. I doubt that Apple will go for a Boost Mobile-type company, however.

3. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

AT&T will definitely have it. 10% chance Verizon gets it. So I guess I have to go with AT&T.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Who cares, I'm not really interested in what the future may or may not bring with regard to the iPhone. It really has no impact on me now or my phone coverage now. All this talk is just idle speculation.

5. astonecold83 thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you...It's just since the rumours are getting stronger out there about possible Verizon getting the iPhone next year, I decided to keep this poll simple and between the two carriers only.
    Plus, correct me if I am wrong but you barely hear or read anything about Sprint or any other carrier in the running for an contract for the iPhone?!

6. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

So? Rumors aren't always correct.
    For all we know, Apple could be putting out big bucks and making their own network. Doubt it, but you never know.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Consdiering the bad taste Palm is giving Apple and how devoted Sprint seems to be with supporting palm, don't expect the iPhone there anytime soon.

If Verizon gets the iPhone, that's fine. Doesn't mean I'm going to Verizon, however. I'll stick with AT&T.

AT&T is definitely going to get the next iPhone, exclusive or not. Verizon will not get exclusivity. It would be stupid for Apple to have to still build an internationally-compatible version for GSM-rooted networks, and not sell it on AT&T.

In the end though, I think the barrier here isn't the exclusivity agreement at all. Apple will want to build a single, multiband, multi-carrier phone so that any next-gen iPhone rolling off the assembly line will work on any network they have an agreement with. Apple is (or should be anyway) deathly worried about users who will freak that their Verizon iPhone won't work internationally when AT&T's does because the Verizon model lacks GSM.

The bad news is, that means building an iPhone with 6 radios, instead of the current 4:

- GSM
    - HSDPA
    - Bluetooth
    - WiFi
    - CDMA
    - LTE

Plus GPS, though that doesn't transmit, it only receives.

And keep battery life the same or better. And probably add new functionality. And keep the form factor the same or possibly smaller/lighter. i don't know about you guys, but I am unwilling to sacrifice on any of these factors just so Verizon can start hawking a phone they've spent 2+ years putting down.

For this reason, I still doubt we're going to see a Verizon iPhone next year. Maybe the year after.

And before anyone argues the point: an LTE-only iPhone is out of the question for next year. Not a single city has LTE running now. Even optimistic estimates say it'll only be running in a few major cities, even on Verizon, next year. The coverage for an LTE-only phone will be pathetic for years to come. There has to be backward compatibility of some type for at least the next 5 years, if not 10.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

VZ doesn't want it bad enough; AT&T is fine with me....:eek:

9. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Well.. Just because the iPhone exsclusitivy deal with AT&T ends doesn't mean the iPhone is leaving AT&T.. The iPhone will always be with AT&T.. It's just that verizon or tmobile will have it 2.. Look at the razr.. It was with AT&T first but then it stretched to other carriers.. So will the iPhone

10. keeper8504 macrumors newbie

Cheaper Plans needed

I just want to see more than one carrier have the iPhone so that ATT has some competition and might consider lowering Plan prices. If Verizon gets it and offers a cheaper plan, I might switch, might.:apple:

11. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Until LTE is nationwide and a VoIP protocol is established for LTE, there will be no Verizon iPhone.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think it would be easier if the US carriers had standardized on one spec. In the US you have Verizon and Sprint with CDMA; AT&T with 3G and GSM, and T-Mobile with GSm and 3G, but 3G is on a non-standard band (1700/2100Mhz). For that reason, there really isn't a single phone out there that will operate on all three networks. The manufacturers end up building different models for different carriers.

Unfortunately, "different" doesn't work for iPhones. App developers expect that with the exception of a compass and 3G, my iPhone will work pretty much the same as your iPhone.

13. 420-THC macrumors member

Please dont switch to Verizon, i had them for 3 years and it was absolutly horrible, not to mention their phones suck, and the customer service is a joke:eek:

14. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

LTE won't even begin to roll out until 2011, so why are you putting the radio in now? It probably won't even be functional until 2012.

Couldn't they simply put in either a GSM or CDMA chip, not both. Quite sure RIM and PALM have been doing this for a while.

In order to improve battery, throw in one of the new Cortex A9 chips. More processors running at less average power, meaning better battery life.

15. jointsmoking macrumors regular

ATT has served me very well for a long time now. It would take something really special to convince me to consider leaving them.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Also Verizon just doesn't have the coverage that I need. ONE bar is just not enough for my 3GS 32GB iPhone Black.....:p:p:p

Attached Files:

17. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

I'd be willing to bet all the one who want to jump ship to Verizon, If the iPhone had been on Verizon since it was introduced, everyone would want to jump to AT&T.

Other than MMS, everyone biggest complaint seems to be that AT&T won't give a subsidized price if your in a contract. Um, neither would Verizon.

Next is that tethering won't be free, I'd guarantee it wouldn't be on Verizon's network either.

Yeah, the MMS thing blows. I can't find a viable reason they are holding out. That I fault AT&T for.

Plus, from my personal experience, Verizon's coverage blows compared to AT&T.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I'll shut up now.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Who would want to use any other carrier than AT&T? They're clearly the smart choice!:)

19. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

From my research Verizon had their chance. So, no I don't think Verizon will get it. Maybe in 5 years. :p

My prediction anyways.

20. idunk macrumors member

I think that apple will just stay with AT&T. If they switched now then they would have to fix more bugs with the new network that verizon runs on. Which in turn will get people complaining like they do with AT&T.
    The only difference will be that apple has more of the software bugs fixed.
    I have had only positive experiances with AT&T's customer service and all the few bugs found are only to be expected with a phone as advanced as the iphone.

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

If it is on Verizon's network, it is Verizon 1,000,000 times over again

But, it will be strictly AT&T so the argument is null

22. Peachers macrumors newbie

I'd like to see it at Verizon. It just varies on your coverage and prices. AT&T is expensive & when I borrow other friends phones to play with, they always have like low bars. When compared to my Verizon phone, i usually have the most or one bar less. I like Verizon a lot. Customer Service is great! The only fault in see in my eyes is just their using CDMA and practically only let you use branded Verizon phones. I much like Verizon and I'm not desprate to have the iPhone on it, but It would be nice. Though I would not ever go to AT&T just for the iPhone. Their Prices are :eek:
    That's my words. Everyone here is so AT&T, I thought I leave a Verizon view. :p

23. 420-THC macrumors member

Hey don't get me wrong im not AT&T for another couple days, im a crackberry Curve lover on T-mobile, but still Verizon was Dreadful:eek:

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

25. 420-THC macrumors member

+1 but make sure all their customer service reps end up in the fire "accidentally". :p